MFA 2012 Decisions!!

lfwd

I hate to say it, but unless you've got a lot of money saved up, it is kind of a "no brainer." But ASU is a good school - believe me, you could be doing a lot worse.

Hi everyone, here's my choices instead of writing scholarship etc I've just basically put how much of a tuition reduction and how much extra I'd need for the rest (other fees living stipend) these are rough figures and just 1st year!

Calarts - 25% tuition reduction - approx $49K

SFAI - 50% tuition reduction - approx $37K

SVA - 5%ish Approx $55K

ASU - 75% ish Approx $20K

I have an external scholarship worth up to 25K and I'm not eligible for a loan, this is a no brainer yeah? (hate that term)

Officially going to Yale in the fall.

Congratulations, that's really awesome!

Out of curiosity, were you accepted outright or placed on the waiting list? I was put on the waiting list for GD (2yr), so just looking to see if people have been getting through from it.

Out of curiosity, were you accepted outright or placed on the waiting list? I was put on the waiting list for GD (2yr), so just looking to see if people have been getting through from it.

Thank you! I was accepted via application management site on April 1st. The deadline for giving answers is April 25th, so I think that you should hear from them on that day. But maybe you should call the admission office and ask?

Thank you! I was accepted via application management site on April 1st. The deadline for giving answers is April 25th, so I think that you should hear from them on that day. But maybe you should call the admission office and ask?

That's great! That means you were selected outright. I spoke to admissions and they said that I would hear back anytime before May 15th (I suppose depending on how soon or late people decide). According to them I'm first in line on the waiting-list, so hopefully that wasn't just smoke & mirrors, as that'd be a shame. Guess I'll find out soon enough though, thanks for the info!

Regardless if I end up getting through or not, good luck there, seems like a great place to be!

Edited by titleofauser

That's great! That means you were selected outright. I spoke to admissions and they said that I would hear back anytime before May 15th (I suppose depending on how soon or late people decide). According to them I'm first in line on the waiting-list, so hopefully that wasn't just smoke & mirrors, as that'd be a shame. Guess I'll find out soon enough though, thanks for the info!

Regardless if I end up getting through or not, good luck there, seems like a great place to be!

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it. If it cheers you up - I was no. 1 one the RISD waiting list and got accepted pretty quickly. So I think you have a good chance.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm trying to decide here...

Sam Fox School of Design and Visual Art (Washington University in St. Louis):

good funding (not 100%) + TA (but their grad's don't teach as the instructor of record)

ranked 13th

two year interdisciplinary program

in a mid-sized city (St. Louis)

versus

LSU:

100% funding +TA (instructor of record for two of the three years)

ranked 62nd

three year sculpture program

in a college town (Baton Rouge) but only an hour from a great art city (NOLA)

My studio practice and exhibition activity is a career priority to me, but I am also very enthusiastic about teaching at a university (not just to make a buck... I really care about teaching). I want a happy grad school experience and of course I want my graduate education to help set me up for a successful career. I know that my work is the most important contributor to my success, but my grad school choice is important, too.

What do you guys think I should do? This is a really tough choice.

(I also got accepted to CCA with minute funding... they're ranked for sculpture but I just can't afford it.)

Have you decided yet?

I have a question: is the 2-year MFA at Washington 60 credit hours? Make sure it is. If it isn't, it can't really be considered a terminal degree and could potentially cause problems if you get an academic appointment.

I don't think that the reputational ranking difference between the two schools is enough to make up for the difference in funding. I agree with others that it's important for you to be in a program where you'll have plenty of peers, and the size of LSU would likely ensure you'd find some interesting minds to interact with. So I'd recommend LSU unless you visit and hate it.

Hello, I'm an applicant who is also in the waiting list on 3yr GD at yale now, I have a question to you. Did Yale notice your no. the list in the application status?

Btw, recently I got accepted from RISD 3yr GD, I was the top of the waiting list too. I think the first is a good sign, hope you get through it! :D

Edited by gimim

Hello, I'm an applicant who is also in the waiting list on 3yr GD at yale now, I have a question to you. Did Yale notice your no. the list in the application status?

Btw, recently I got accepted from RISD 3yr GD, I was the top of the waiting list too. I think the first is a good sign, hope you get through it! :D

Hi! Congrats on the RISD acceptance and the Yale wait list, either school would be excellent to attend!

They didn't mention my wait-list spot on the notice I received. They only ended up telling me in an e-mail later, after I confirmed with them that I'd like to stay on the wait-list (well, that e-mail had said I was 'high up on the wait list' - but I actually originally applied for the 3yr program, so a later e-mail in which they told me I was bumped up to the 2yr program is where they stated I was first on the wait list).

Hi! Congrats on the RISD acceptance and the Yale wait list, either school would be excellent to attend! They didn't mention my wait-list spot on the notice I received. They only ended up telling me in an e-mail later, after I confirmed with them that I'd like to stay on the wait-list (well, that e-mail had said I was 'high up on the wait list' - but I actually originally applied for the 3yr program, so a later e-mail in which they told me I was bumped up to the 2yr program is where they stated I was first on the wait list).

Thanks! I'm sure you are a very strong applicant who is close to get on the yale acceptance. hope it will work out!!

I'm still waiting for Yale's update, since it is hard to get financial aid or scholarship from RISD as an international student. so I'm thinking about asking yale about my spot of the waiting list for making a decision. Again, thank you for the info!

I told them I wouldn't be going if they don't fund me lol, which is actually true. Said it in of course more tactful language in my letter...

Yes, I tried that. But Steven Westfall could see right through me, he knows how much I love rutgers. fucking ah! show us the money!!!

I told them I wouldn't be going if they don't fund me lol, which is actually true. Said it in of course more tactful language in my letter...

Yeah, I hear you - I've had a similar conversation with them. If I don't end up getting enough I very well might find myself reapplying for programs next year . . .