MFA 2012 Decisions!!

lfwd

Which place do you think would be better for your work?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm trying to decide here...

Sam Fox School of Design and Visual Art (Washington University in St. Louis):

good funding (not 100%) + TA (but their grad's don't teach as the instructor of record)

ranked 13th

two year interdisciplinary program

in a mid-sized city (St. Louis)

versus

LSU:

100% funding +TA (instructor of record for two of the three years)

ranked 62nd

three year sculpture program

in a college town (Baton Rouge) but only an hour from a great art city (NOLA)

My studio practice and exhibition activity is a career priority to me, but I am also very enthusiastic about teaching at a university (not just to make a buck... I really care about teaching). I want a happy grad school experience and of course I want my graduate education to help set me up for a successful career. I know that my work is the most important contributor to my success, but my grad school choice is important, too.

What do you guys think I should do? This is a really tough choice.

(I also got accepted to CCA with minute funding... they're ranked for sculpture but I just can't afford it.)

Which place do you think would be better for your work?

It's hard to say... I'm going to visit LSU this week to get a better impression of the grads and the environment there.

WashU has an interdisciplinary program which I am really into, but there aren't very many sculpture grads there. Mostly painters and printmakers. I don't know what that means. It's important to me that I have the opportunity to mix media and formats, so that's a big plus for WashU, although I believe I will also have that opportunity (though maybe to a lesser extent) at LSU.

WashU was my top pick when I applied to schools, but as this process has progressed I am becoming more analytical about it. The thing that really kills me about WashU is that it's only 2 years. Is two years at a highly respected university better than three at a good but lesser known state school? I have no idea.

On 3/31/2012 at 9:43 AM, sculptor said:

It's hard to say... I'm going to visit LSU this week to get a better impression of the grads and the environment there.

WashU has an interdisciplinary program which I am really into, but there aren't very many sculpture grads there. Mostly painters and printmakers. I don't know what that means. It's important to me that I have the opportunity to mix media and formats, so that's a big plus for WashU, although I believe I will also have that opportunity (though maybe to a lesser extent) at LSU.

WashU was my top pick when I applied to schools, but as this process has progressed I am becoming more analytical about it. The thing that really kills me about WashU is that it's only 2 years. Is two years at a highly respected university better than three at a good but lesser known state school? I have no idea.

I can relate to your predicament, as I'm in a somewhat similar situation. If I were you, I would consider the following in addition: location, studio quality, quality of graduate work, faculty and cost of living. Then combine everything and really think about where you would be happier in all regards. I would also look at where the graduates from each program end up when they are done - if you want to be a gallery ready artist and if a lot of WashU's grads end up in galleries eventually over LSU, that's something to consider.

Though, WashU is definitely known for its printmaking - it might be interesting for you to explore printmaking as a way of idea process. I myself am very video/digital, but I use printmaking in that exact way. It might be a way for you to use the strengths of the program to your advantage.

I will say though that there is something to be said about 3 year programs, and one in which you will receive great funding, combined with on the record teaching experience. I have a feeling that once you visit LSU and compare it to WashU you will have a much more clear feeling. It'll be one of those "follow your gut" things.

I can relate to your predicament, as I'm in a somewhat similar situation. If I were you, I would consider the following in addition: location, studio quality, quality of graduate work, faculty and cost of living. Then combine everything and really think about where you would be happier in all regards. I would also look at where the graduates from each program end up when they are done - if you want to be a gallery ready artist and if a lot of Wash U's grads end up in galleries eventually over LSU, that's something to consider.

Though, Wash U. is definitely known for its printmaking - it might be interesting for you to explore printmaking as a way of idea process. I myself am very video/digital, but I use printmaking in that exact way. It might be a way for you to use the strengths of the program to your advantage.

I will say though that there is something to be said about 3 year programs, and one in which you will receive great funding, combined with on the record teaching experience. I have a feeling that once you visit LSU and compare it to Wash U. you will have a much more clear feeling. It'll be one of those "follow your gut" things.

Thanks, miyamoto81, that is good advice. I'll keep you guys posted. Good luck on your own decisions!

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm trying to decide here... Sam Fox School of Design and Visual Art (Washington University in St. Louis): good funding (not 100%) + TA (but their grad's don't teach as the instructor of record) ranked 13th two year interdisciplinary program in a mid-sized city (St. Louis) versus LSU: 100% funding +TA (instructor of record for two of the three years) ranked 62nd three year sculpture program in a college town (Baton Rouge) but only an hour from a great art city (NOLA) My studio practice and exhibition activity is a career priority to me, but I am also very enthusiastic about teaching at a university (not just to make a buck... I really care about teaching). I want a happy grad school experience and of course I want my graduate education to help set me up for a successful career. I know that my work is the most important contributor to my success, but my grad school choice is important, too. What do you guys think I should do? This is a really tough choice. (I also got accepted to CCA with minute funding... they're ranked for sculpture but I just can't afford it.)

Hey Sculptor,

Thats a tough choice. the dean at Sam Fox, BuzzSpector, is an awesome guy, but I've heard good things about LSU too.

I'm debating between a two year and three year program myself. Probably going to go with the three year to have more teaching experience/time in the studio.

I wanted to comment on the fact that Sam Fox doesnt have many faculty/students in sculpture. I think it is important to have good faculty/peer support when working with sculpture/space. It could be hard to step out of your material comfort zone if there are no 3d artists to challenge your way of making. Not to say someone cant spark their own growth (in many different ways) but being surrounded by faculty and peers with material knowledge will most likely create a better conversation and 'learning' experience.

caus, what did you think of Davis??? It seems like an excellent program and I believe it has good funding (70%+), but Davis is out in the sticks...although...San Fran is only about an hour away :)

Good luck with your decision!

Yeah Davis is a small place, its nice that you could just bike everywhere. Only one place in Davis really to show, but it is close to Sacramento or San Francisco. I felt good about student work I saw at both schools. They are in the UC system though and they use a lot of words like 'hope' and 'maybe' when it comes to funding. But what they offered me was pretty good

Hey Sculptor,

Thats a tough choice. the dean at Sam Fox, BuzzSpector, is an awesome guy, but I've heard good things about LSU too.

I'm debating between a two year and three year program myself. Probably going to go with the three year to have more teaching experience/time in the studio.

I wanted to comment on the fact that Sam Fox doesnt have many faculty/students in sculpture. I think it is important to have good faculty/peer support when working with sculpture/space. It could be hard to step out of your material comfort zone if there are no 3d artists to challenge your way of making. Not to say someone cant spark their own growth (in many different ways) but being surrounded by faculty and peers with material knowledge will most likely create a better conversation and 'learning' experience.

Thanks, inkhouse, you make a good point. Really I think this boils down to this: more time and teaching experience at LSU versus better reputation at WashU. Plus the location issue and what you mentioned about the peer group. I guess I'll have a better sense of things once I visit LSU (I already visited WashU).

I hope you choose UGA. I know a couple of the grads and former grads from UGA, and I can't say enough positive things about them. They have a good record of grads getting teaching jobs. If I go to LSU, maybe I'll see you at an SEC football game :)

For all you peeps trolling this Forum in the future...

Though I am sure I have missed some (and please, if you got an offer not listed here, or you know of another, please add to it), these are the programs I found to have the best funding. In NO particular order:

West

- UCSD (full ride + teaching stipend)

- UCSB (full finding + excellent stipend and teaching)

- Stanford (full ride + excellent stipend and teaching)

- UOregon (full ride + teaching stipend)

Midwest / South

- Indiana (full ride, I believe)

- UI-C (I have heard of good funding here)

- Northwestern (full ride + excellent stipend and teaching)

- UMichigan (full ride, first year travel funding, free computer, + stipend)

(I'm sure there are others in the M-W…)

East

- Alfred (for Elec. Arts, I know they offer full ride + stipend)

- SUNY Buffalo (heard of good funding here)

- SFMA (has been known to dish out some decent money, but not all the time)

- Univ of Maryland (full ride + teaching stipend)

- Cornell (full ride + teaching stipend)

- Keep an eye out for Dartmouth doing a production orientated "Digital Studies" Masters in the future, and if it is anything like their outstanding "Digital Musics", it'll be a full ride +)

Thanks OutWest, that's an awesome list!

I concur with all of the above - from my own experience, The University of Iowa also has potential for fantastic funding. Some of their fellowships offer a tuition waiver, great health care and an unbelievable stipend. Also, their TAships come with a pretty hefty stipend as well.

SUNY Buffalo also has great funding opportunities, as you posted.

And I am almost definite that Alfred gives ALL their MFA students a tuition waiver plus a $5k stipend, at least for this year. When I spoke to them, I had heard they were trying to raise it in the future, so who knows.

Good luck to all the future generations out there!

Edit: AND check out Montclair State - we've talked about it on this forum before, but I think that has potential to be an up and coming program, and I've heard of great funding coming out from them as well.

Edited by miyamoto81

"OutWest

Though I am sure I have missed some (and please, if you got an offer not listed here, or you know of another, please add to it), these are the programs I found to have the best funding. In NO particular order:)]"

Great information...

You might want to put this information in a separate thread to make it easier for others to find in the future....

Thanks for sharing it.

Edited by olderdog

"OutWest

Though I am sure I have missed some (and please, if you got an offer not listed here, or you know of another, please add to it), these are the programs I found to have the best funding. In NO particular order:)]"

Great information...

You might want to put this information in a separate thread to make it easier for others to find in the future....

Thanks for sharing it.

Excellent idea. I will wait for anyone else to add to the list and then post it.

I got some financial aid, but not nearly enough to cover tuition. Unfortunately a big factor to attend any program is financial aid. As is the case with many of us, I want to stay relatively debt free throughout school. What about you?

I also wish to stay debt free and can really only accept a place where I won't need to take out a loan.

I better add Arizona State University to that list, although I expect their packages for in state or US applicants may be higher.

Arizona State University (50% tuition + merit scholarship - -International student)

An interesting segment on 60 minutes tonight...

see near the end when Blum and Poe discusses the actual percentage of people who purchase contemporary art.

http://www.cbsnews.c...y;storyMediaBox

http://www.cbsnews.c...ain;contentBody

http://www.cbsnews.c...o;videoMetaInfo

Thanks for sharing that - very, very interesting.

Hi all! Just thought I'd start a new thread for those who have made their final decisions, if anyone would like to share. Or, if you'd like advice or support while making your decision, ask away!

I just sent in my deposit to RISD, so am happy to say I'll be attending there this fall. Anyone else out there RISD-bound?

I finally got a letter from the last school I've been waiting to hear from, so I'm happy to say I'm now 100% confidently RISD-bound, for printmaking! I just have to make the deposit! :-D

I finally got a letter from the last school I've been waiting to hear from, so I'm happy to say I'm now 100% confidently RISD-bound, for printmaking! I just have to make the deposit! :-D

Yay!! I just got word that RISD received my deposit, so it's all a done deal now. It's a good feeling.

I look forward to meeting you in September!

Going to LSU! I love the program, people, and opportunities there--I'm so happy!!

My undergard printmaking professor went to LSU for his MFA and always spoke highly of their program. Best of luck, and congrats!

Hi everyone, here's my choices instead of writing scholarship etc I've just basically put how much of a tuition reduction and how much extra I'd need for the rest (other fees living stipend) these are rough figures and just 1st year!

Calarts - 25% tuition reduction - approx $49K

SFAI - 50% tuition reduction - approx $37K

SVA - 5%ish Approx $55K

ASU - 75% ish Approx $20K

I have an external scholarship worth up to 25K and I'm not eligible for a loan, this is a no brainer yeah? (hate that term)