Applicants of Computer Graphics/Visualization

kuntal

congrats on your success (so far!).

i have one question for you (a bit backdated though)...how did you really choose your preference of school? there is hardly any information/forum talks available regarding program strength/funds of graphics in different schools. Formal rankings always focused upon system/AI/theory subtracks .. CG hardly fits into any of them.

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but what I did was :

- Asked my advisor for a list of what he believed to be the best programs in graphics

- Looked up websites of these schools and of the professors (many leave old pages, so it helps to verify if they are still at that school)

- Graphics is still quite broad, so I narrowed my list down to schools that had atleast a couple of ongoing projects in my research area (animation)

- Checked the last 5 years of Siggraph to see which school the authors were from

- Met a lot of interesting people at the last Siggraph, and got their thoughts on applying to their school etc.

Hope this helps.

A family friend of mine, Steven Gortler, is a computer graphics professor at Harvard. I don't know much about computer graphics because I am in control theory, but I know Gortler is amazing. Won SIGGRAPH award in 2002. Keep in mind that only one professor matters at the school you end up going to -> YOUR PROFESSOR. Also the person who matters the most to what you can do with your research is YOU.

seems like you have done your homework fine enough. I didn't have that much of opportunity to gather useful information beforehand. so had to depend on website information a lot.

anyways, since you guys have sorted your own list, where would place U Penn CG among yours.

seems like you have done your homework fine enough. I didn't have that much of opportunity to gather useful information beforehand. so had to depend on website information a lot.

Well, I mostly got my info from the groups' sites as well, but it also helps if, while doing research, you keep in mind the names of some people who have written interesting/innovative papers you happen to come across.

I'm not in computer vision, (edit: nor computer graphics for that matter! Man there's really no reason I should get these confused...) but I think this applies... two professors that I asked or heard answering this question gave the following advice:

1) Look at the archives for the top conferences in your field

2) Look at who publishes

3) Look at who publishes really awesome work

4) Figure out which institutions contain those people

5) There's your list of schools

Also look at the program committee of the top conferences in your field, what school they are from. These people review papers submitted to the conference.

Alternatively, you can also look at the top journals in the field, find out the editorial board members.

Also look at the program committee of the top conferences in your field, what school they are from. These people review papers submitted to the conference.

Alternatively, you can also look at the top journals in the field, find out the editorial board members.

Looking at program committees and editorial boards tell you who did interesting research in the past, looking at publication records in current conferences tells you who is doing interesting research now. (Where now is defined as six months prior, but hey... :-P)

Both help, but you may not find that new precocious associate professor that just landed at a new institution if you look only at program committees or place too much weight on them. (Though usually by the time someone manages a position as a professor they're on a PC somewhere...)

Wow, you guys prepared a whole lot more than I did in choosing which schools to apply to...

In October I was just like, crap, got to take the GREs now and apply to grad school because the job market sucks so much...and start turning my focus from employment to research!

Wow, you guys prepared a whole lot more than I did in choosing which schools to apply to...

In October I was just like, crap, got to take the GREs now and apply to grad school because the job market sucks so much...and start turning my focus from employment to research!

...still in the end you got what you needed :) isn't it all that matters?

btw..since you are from penn...can you share your idea about the CG program there. their CG website looks too cool ( and of course can be quite misleading ).