Options with limited/non-existent geography background?

Jahiliyya

The topic title states my situation quite simply: I have virtually no background in geography, the environment, or science more broadly. I studied history for my undergrad degree, with a particular emphasis on the Middle East, and am now on a Fulbright in the region. For a number of reasons, I have been considering the possibility of undertaking a graduate degree in geography. It is the discipline that uses the tools and perspectives most closely matching the evolution of my research interests, while offering the development of skills that would keep non-academic career options open (rather different than taking the pathway of history).

I have a superb undergraduate record, and field research experience under my belt. If my interests had continued in their original trajectory from undergrad, I would be in great shape for graduate school in history or perhaps public policy. But I have zero preparation for geography, nor do I have any professors or mentors who are acquainted with the field who would be capable of giving suggestions.

So, what is the path forward? Applying for a terminal MA? Would I even have a chance at that, if I could write a persuasive statement about how my career/research interests have changed?

Jahilyya, your options are far from limited. A large portion, possibly even the majority of academic geographers come from other fields. History is closely tied with geography (it has its own sub-field), and your experience abroad will surely be helpful. You will likely have to take some undergrad courses to catch up on the basics, but that should be expected when switching fields in any discipline.

What area of geography would you like to study? I can try to help point you in the right direction. Starting with an MA might be a good idea, but it is by no means necessary or terminal.

Jahilyya, your options are far from limited. A large portion, possibly even the majority of academic geographers come from other fields. History is closely tied with geography (it has its own sub-field), and your experience abroad will surely be helpful. You will likely have to take some undergrad courses to catch up on the basics, but that should be expected when switching fields in any discipline.

What area of geography would you like to study? I can try to help point you in the right direction. Starting with an MA might be a good idea, but it is by no means necessary or terminal.

Thanks for the encouraging words! In broad terms, I'm interested in culture and the environment (so probably human geography), particularly around issues of water management, agriculture, urban green spaces, and the protection of historically important environmental sites/resources. So I want to learn more substantively in those kinds of subjects (and more, since geography is such a large field that I have barely begun to explore), develop research tools, and keep doors open for a potential policy career.

Most departments divide their department into three or four sub-disciplines: Human geography, Physical geography, Human-Environmental Interaction, and sometimes GIScience. They, of course, all overlap to a great extent and are internally heterogeneous, but it sounds like you are leaning towards human-environment. Depending on what exactly you want to do, you'll probably want to take some GIS courses, as its a strong methodological tool for any quantitative studies. Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Jahiliyya (and space.cadet),

You should check out Syracuse when you start looking at Geo departments. They even have a joint professional program in Public Administration. Their MA and PhD programs in Geography are excellent, and they have several faculty working on water rights, political ecology, historical struggles around resources and resource extraction, public space, political and social movements and a great deal else.

• 3 years later...

Would it be wise to have some Chemistry, General Bio, or Geology courses completed before applying to a Human Geography program? My undergrad sciences were Physics, Human Bio, and Astronomy. I am going to be taking 5-6 courses over the next three semesters before applying to any Geography programs and am trying to figure out what is best to take. I have to boost my GPA up a bit and am coming from a BA in Economics. Thanks.

Ummm, not unless your interest is in physical geography. If you're interested in human geography, then think about taking courses in anthropology, sociology, history, political science, and any sort of theoretical or methods course (so statistics, GIS, literary theory, historiography, etc.).