So it's April and it's time to get down to business. I've gotten over the grueling process of getting in, but now I'm having a hard time choosing a program between CSULA, CSUF and CSULB.

I'm more interested in the more medical/neurology aspect of speech and I eventually want to complete my Ph.D.

WHERE where, oh where??

Edited by glamclam

You should consider schools with POI's who have mutual interests/specialty and funding offers, if any. All 3 schools are in major cities and have large hospitals which are great for clinical rotation sites. Which one(s) are your leaning toward?

First of all, congrats! Those are some pretty competitive schools you got into :)

It's hard to get anything out of the CSU departments, but from what I do know, there's not too much of a medical emphasis in any of those schools. That said, it's not difficult to get a job or become more interested in the neuro aspect with a more generalized program. If you're interested in getting your PhD, then taking up a master's thesis or independent study would be a great way to do this. I went to CSUF for my postbacc, and Dr. Li and Dr. Tom are both great profs to work with in that area. I'm not too sure about Long Beach, but the few interactions I had with them left me feeling kinda badly towards the program. The department's SUPER competitive and the admin people were unhelpful, but of course that might not have anything to do with the program itself. LA, I know nothing about, but I've heard that it's more of an emphasis towards the school settings, which is the typical case for most CSUs.

If you really want to get down to the nitty gritty, call and/or visit and have a chat with the professors. I see you're from LA, so visiting all three isn't impossible. Try to see how your interests would match up with the school and you'll get a better lead of where you'll want to go. It's unlikely that the department will set this kind of thing up for you, so you'll have to do some stalking - catch a prof right after their class or during office hours or shoot them an email directly to see when you could come in. Maybe you could talk to some of the students while waiting around in the department office. Otherwise, it'll probably just come down to location.

Good luck!

That's awesome that you have heard back and were accepted to all those schools!!! I haven't heard a thing from Los Angeles or Fullerton yet. I just got an email yesterday from Long Beach asking to interview for their Special Cohort program, though!!

Thank you guys! And congrats, FutureSLP8 on your interview!.

I am really in between CSUF and CSULB at this point. If I ever hear from CSUN or my waitlisted schools, it will be a different story-- Per my POI, CSUF would be great. However, CSULB has a VA hospital right next to the school and I've heard VA hospitals are an excellent training ground for training health professionals. Has anyone from Long Beach heard anything about working there?

Also, is it true that you don't receive any grants in grad school? That you only receive financial aid in the form of loans? btw, I've already submitted my FAFSA.

Edited by glamclam

I am really in between CSUF and CSULB at this point. If I ever hear from CSUN or my waitlisted schools, it will be a different story-- Per my POI, CSUF would be great. However, CSULB has a VA hospital right next to the school and I've heard VA hospitals are an excellent training ground for training health professionals. Has anyone from Long Beach heard anything about working there?

Also, is it true that you don't receive any grants in grad school? That you only receive financial aid in the form of loans? btw, I've already submitted my FAFSA.

You probably won't be seeing many grants for grad school, especially if it's for a CSU. Loans and assistantships are pretty much it. :(

thank you!! When did you hear from CSUF?? Did you have an interview at Long Beach prior to your acceptance?

I heard back from CSUF around March 24 via phone call and yes, I did interview with LB before my acceptance ;)

Thanks glamclam! Any tips for the Long Beach interview? Mines this Friday!! Did you interview for their traditional or special cohort program??

I interviewed for the Traditional Program - The interview was surprisingly easy going. They asked a couple questions about myself and a situation question... and that was pretty much it. It lasted 10-15 minutes. From speaking with other interviewees, their interviews went similarly. I felt like since LB doesn't require letters of recommendation or a letter of intent, they had already selected who they wanted and just interviewed the applicants as a screening process. So don't fret! :)

I interviewed for the Traditional Program - The interview was surprisingly easy going. They asked a couple questions about myself and a situation question... and that was pretty much it. It lasted 10-15 minutes. From speaking with other interviewees, their interviews went similarly. I felt like since LB doesn't require letters of recommendation or a letter of intent, they had already selected who they wanted and just interviewed the applicants as a screening process. So don't fret! :)

Thank you glamclam!! I see you were aceepted to CSUF..when did you hear from them??? Im still waiting. Do you have a top choice school??..you have so many options...congrats on all your acceptances!

I heard from CSUF on 03/24 if I remember correctly. I have recently heard that some people heard back as early as 03/15. Dunno how true this is but... that is... cray. Especially because their deadline was on 03/01.

Thank you guys! And congrats, FutureSLP8 on your interview!. I am really in between CSUF and CSULB at this point. If I ever hear from CSUN or my waitlisted schools, it will be a different story-- Per my POI, CSUF would be great. However, CSULB has a VA hospital right next to the school and I've heard VA hospitals are an excellent training ground for training health professionals. Has anyone from Long Beach heard anything about working there? Also, is it true that you don't receive any grants in grad school? That you only receive financial aid in the form of loans? btw, I've already submitted my FAFSA.

As a graduate student, as far as Cal States, you can get State university grant if eligible to pay for most of your tuition but that's pretty much the only grant available. Unfortunately for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year there will only be unsubsidized loans available no more subsidized, which totally suck since interest will not be deferred. But hopefully you qualify for the SUG. (I work at a CSU financial aid office)