Tips for Biking to School

Parking passes at my school are $480 a year! (And this is not downtown NYC/LA/Chicago, where parking everywhere is at a premium.) Fortunately I live just 1.5 miles from campus, so I'm planning to bike.

A few miles is nothing on a bicycle, but I've always been a fair-weather rider: Currently, I'll ride my bike to work (5 miles away) IF it's not too cold and IF it's not raining and IF I don't have to wear anything special and IF I don't have to go anywhere after work and IF I'm not in a rush. (So, like, once a week, during the summer.)

Any tips on bike commuting in less-than-ideal conditions?

I was thinking about keeping a gym bag at my desk, so I can change on days where the ride makes me wet. I could wear gym clothes to school every day then change, but it seems like a short enough trip that I could get a way with regular clothes most of the time. For rainy days, I was thinking about getting one of those rain suits that comes with "rain jacket" pants... is that overkill? And biking through snow just seems like an accident waiting to happen. (I could walk to school, too, I suppose...)

And do you think a backpack will do, or is it worth investing in a rack for my back wheel and a bag that attaches to them. (Saddle bag? See, I'm not even a legit enough cyclist to know what the accessories are called!)

Thanks for the tips!

I use to live in Seattle and was quite familiar with rain riding.

For only 1.5 mi I think a back pack would be enough, plus, you can't put too much weight on most racks anyways. Also, for me, when the panniers (saddle bags) are filled with books or groceries it makes the handling a little off and I don't feel so nimble making my way through traffic. When you're getting a back pack I would suggest looking into a something like this http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-336.htm , you just want to make sure it will be waterproof.

I think the gym bag at school is a great idea. I also think the rain suit isn't a bad idea either, it will be a good cheap alternative to expensive bike clothes and shouldn't matter much since you will not have far to go. I would also get fenders on your bike cause nothing sucks worse than going through a puddle and being sprayed with cold dirty water, even in a rain suit.

Also, you may want to invest in a good pair of warm wind resistant bike gloves and if you plan to use clip in shoes you may want the neoprene covers for when it's really bad out.

Biking in the snow isn't that bad, you just may need to have a different set of tires on your bike for winter (more traction)

I'm not much of a biker, but was biking everywhere when I lived in Germany for a summer. It rained a lot but was still really warm. I would either not wear a rain jacket and get soaked, or wear a rain jacket and sweat to death. There was no winning. I would typically just let myself get a bit wet from the rain and then just let my clothes dry naturally because of the warmth. Some days I would bring a change of clothes.

I bike all year round in a climate v similar to Chicago (cold, snowy, icy winters). My husband and I both use studded tires in the winter and they are amazing. Also fenders are a must on all your bikes.

check out the blogs: lovely bicycle and lets go ride a bike for inspiration for riding in regular clothes. I prefer to ride in a skirt. I don't have to change at work unless I am goign to the gym. I intend to ride to grad school, though we will prob have a pass as well as we have kids.

I would also suggest a waterproof backpack. All Chrome bags are waterproof (they are also leek proof, so you can use them as a cooler), and range from 100-200$ (http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/packs.html). I don't have rain pants (too much?), but I do carry a rain jacket (very light weight and compact) in my bag with me every day. Also look into when campus shuttles run for lazy days. I am not sure what kind of climate you are moving too, but if it gets seriously hot like New Orleans, you should always carry water.

For rainy days, I was thinking about getting one of those rain suits that comes with "rain jacket" pants... is that overkill?

Fenders! Be sure to get your bike some fenders! They will keep you cleaner for it. Also, rain pants would be good as well. I just use a poncho for the top part of my body.

Currently working and heading to grad school in the fall. Also hoping to bike to school as much as possible. I don't have to commute at the moment, as I'm on the residential faculty at the boarding school. However, I love to bike everywhere else, e.g. church, shopping, dentist's/doctor's, coffeeshop, etc.

If you are up to it, one suggestion would be to pack your regular clothes in your backpack and ride with cycling clothes (vest and shorts for me). In these, you have no trouble if it rains (maybe a light jacket would do) and you won't have to worry about mud (fender or not) and dirt. Once you get to school, freshen up, change and you're set. (In fact, you could keep a change of clothes at school). Actually, I prefer riding in the rain, since you practically arrive all showered up! Again, like you said, the distance may not be significant enough to put on biking shorts, but the advantage here is you don't have to worry about getting wet and they're more comfy, even if it's only 4 miles one way. And if you enjoy riding in cold weather, spandex does a great job of keeping you warm

For me, backpacks are fine and they give the extra workout. I can usually make a 2.5 mile bike trip (one way) with laptop, etc, or to get groceries. I'm not a pannier person (I like to keep the bike fast and clutter free). Plus you'd have to take off the pannier when you park, etc. I just love my backpack.

I don't bike much but my advisor does. She keeps a couple of changes of clothes in her office in case her outfit gets wet. (She then puts the wet outfit back on for the ride home, thus preserving the dry clothes for another day.)

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I have a few more questions:

1) Backpack or messenger bag? If I don't get one that's marketed as waterproof, how water-resistant do you think it will be. (I hate spending money on stuff...)

2) What's with the big price difference in bike fenders?! I've seen clip-on ones for $20 and more permanent ones for $60. I don't need to be clipping them on and off, but is the price difference worth the added protection?

My commute will be short enough (1.5 miles) that I won't work up a sweat, so I'm hoping I don't have to bring a change of clothes every day. On the other hand, I've already seen that the unofficial dress code is business casual, so I'll be experimenting with what's worth riding in. (While the weather's nice I can wear skirts with my bike shorts, but when it gets cold, I'll be planning more strategically.)

Don't get the clip on fenders. You should be able to get a decent pair for $30-40. It's worth the protection. Unless you like having a wet butt and a black stripe up your back.

I vote either backpack or a pannier that converts to a messenger bag. That is what I have. I have a Carradice Bike Bureau and a Po Campo Loop Pannier (girly). That way your back stay sweat free and you don't look like a dork carrying a pannier around.

Thanks! I have a few more questions:

1) Backpack or messenger bag? If I don't get one that's marketed as waterproof, how water-resistant do you think it will be. (I hate spending money on stuff...)

2) What's with the big price difference in bike fenders?! I've seen clip-on ones for $20 and more permanent ones for $60. I don't need to be clipping them on and off, but is the price difference worth the added protection?

I would say the average backpack is not at all waterproof, BUT if you carry grocery or trash bags with you and wrap your books, etc. in them it will be basically waterproof. Otherwise expect to have wet books/computer. I don't use bike fenders, because if its raining it won't make that big of diffence either way, and I try to keep my bike lightweight overall for bettter performance but that's me.

A few miles is nothing on a bicycle, but I've always been a fair-weather rider: Currently, I'll ride my bike to work (5 miles away) IF it's not too cold and IF it's not raining and IF I don't have to wear anything special and IF I don't have to go anywhere after work and IF I'm not in a rush. (So, like, once a week, during the summer.)

This made me chuckle because it's just like me...I had great plans of riding my bike to school everyday and I've done it twice in 2 years! It's either too rainy, too snowy, too hot, too much traffic, need to be dressy, too many books/stuff, not enough time, too many appointments/places to be after school...the list goes on!

I will live through you and wish you much success!!

I biked to school and work in Seattle year round for about 6 years, 6 miles each way. Now doing the same in Boston, shorter distance (but it takes longer because I can't take bike paths as far as I'd like.

I've tried a number of combos for carrying gear, but for me the winner is a rack (a little aluminum thing that supports 30-40 lbs should be plenty) with a milk crate strapped on. Line the inside with a black garbage bag. Then throw gear inside, put another garbage bag over the top and secure it with a bungee cord around the rim of the milk carton. Lots of space, waterproof, total cost ~$20 with the rack.

If you must use a wearable bag get a backpack--messenger bags hurt like crazy when there is too much stuffed in them, and they can throw off your center of balance. Also, no need to buy a waterproof backpack, just buy a waterproof bag cover from REI (http://www.rei.com/p...cover-20-liters)--$13 vs $200 plus for a truly waterproof bag.

I agree that fenders are super useful, although I've been using clip-ons for years with no trouble.

And just because I haven't seen anyone say it yet, get the safety gear! Wear a reflective vest, bright helmet, have two (!) rear lights (one for the bike, one for your helmet, which is higher up and much easier for cars to see). Make sure you have a strong enough front light to be seen for 100ft (or whatever your state's specific laws require). This is important even for daytime only riding in the winter, since it could be dark or grey out--just like keeping your car lights on in crummy weather. Cars aren't looking for bikes in the Winter, and cops like to ticket bikers without all the safety gear in the summer because they are easy targets for ticket quotas. This gear is cheap, and there are all too many ghost bikes (http://ghostbikes.org/) around where I bike because their riders didn't have lights and weren't spotted in time.

Finally, if you can avoid streets with lots of curbside parking during your commute. Getting doored is super unfun, and can seriously hurt you if you are on a steep hill.

Just in case you do work up a sweat, it might be good to figure out where the nearest locker room is. Everywhere I've worked has had a shower and lockers hidden away somewhere in the building, and they make life better for you and your coworkers in the summer.

Edited by Usmivka

I definitely agree on the setup you're recommending--and kudos for reminding people about safety gear! A coworker of mine was biking to work last summer and got doored--he was fine aside from a scraped elbow, but his helmet literally shattered into several pieces upon impact when his bike flipped. Another coworker of mine who didn't own a helmet went out and bought himself one that same day. I never went so far as to wear a vest, but I was very firmly told by the bike store clerk when I was a sophomore in college to Buy The Lights Or You Will Get Ticketed. My front light actually detached from the casing and could be used as a flashlight, which was great.

Thanks for the tips!

When I looked at racks, they were around $40. Some look to be on sale online for around $30 (http://www.rei.com/category/4500850).

I've never heard of a cyclist getting ticketed in St. Louis... maybe there's just not enough of us for the cops to bother? But I do have a front and rear light, and will look into another before winter. I just bought one of those reflective bands for my ankle.

And I'll look into the bag covers.

Really I just hate spending on stuff, and bike stuff seems really expensive to me -- but, I also don't want to just make do with completely inadequate equipment for the next... 6 years?

When I looked at racks, they were around $40. Some look to be on sale online for around $30 (http://www.rei.com/category/4500850).

Really I just hate spending on stuff, and bike stuff seems really expensive to me -- but, I also don't want to just make do with completely inadequate equipment for the next... 6 years?

Sorry, clearly it has been a while since I bought gear! I'd try craigslist if you are looking for something less expensive, lots of folks buy racks they stop using quickly. And if you do get a rack, make sure to get one with struts--there are screw holes in the frame to attach these to, and the "floating" racks (Attached just to the seat post) have a nasty habit of slipping down.

I'm the same way, I still don't own a rain jacket because they always seem too expensive. But the plastic poncho or wet fleece can get real annoying. Sometimes it is better to just get the gear. If you are looking for a little LED light for your helmet, university health or transportation offices sometimes hand them away for free as a safety thing.

Usmivka, I have a stupid question: How do you mount a bike with a milk crate on it? I currently get on my bike by swinging my leg above the rear tire and around to the other side... but I don't think I can do the high-kicks required for a milk crate. (And I have a "men's" bike, so no step-through center.)

Edited by SeriousSillyPutty

Unfortunately, you have to step over the frame with a milk crate on the back. Yay for being a girl and having a frame designed to accommodate skirts :)

If you haven't already attached the crate I would suggest looking into a pannier system. Those hang off the back rack so you wouldn't have the same issue.

Also, I think that the reason I was warned about tickets is because I was in Eugene, where there's a lot of bike riders who are college students and aren't paying attention to the rules (no helmet, no lights, not paying attention to traffic, riding drunk)--so they ticket a bit more aggressively (or at least threaten to) than other places.

I have my own silly question: for those with a milk crate off the back, where did you get it? The last one I had was a bright orange crate I liberated from the back of a grocery store :)

Milk crates...I'm sorry, I didn't even think about how this might pose a difficulty, I've had mine for so long! On my bike I mounted the rack quite low and close to the rear tire--I got lucky with the frame screw holes that it works this way. My milk crate is only 1ft tall, so the top of it is actually about an inch below my seat, so it hasn't ever presented me trouble.But I could see this varying with your bike frame and height.

Also, I normally high step over the center anyway, leaning the bike a little as I get on, so I've never tried sliding on from behind. If this is a problem you can't work around, I agree that paniers are the way to go, but they can be very expensive. That's why I did the crate in the first place.

To obtain my most recent crate, I went to the local minimart and asked the owner if I could buy one off him (technically they are the property of the store or distributor. He said everyone else just steals them anyway, so as long as I took one of his crummier ones it was mine for free. I gave it a good washdown and it's worked well. I secure it with a long rachet strap wound through the sides of the crate and the frame. Previous crates have come from my lab jobs--turns out milk crates are perfect baskets for deep-sea experiments, deck chairs, reagent carriers...

If I can find a camera I'll take a photo to post so you can see how I mount it.

As a side note, the ghost bikes memorials started in St Louis becuase of a rash of cyclist deaths beginning in 2003. In this city I'd be more concerned with having the lights and reflectors for safety than ticketing.

Edited by Usmivka

Bikes get stolen on campuses. I don't care if it's the safest campus around. Be sure to spend the extra money and get a U-Lock for your bicycle! (I wish I did- my bike was taken even though I had a cable lock and it was in a busy area right outside the entrance to the school. With security). :angry:

Lots of people here use those grocery boxes that you buy. Use wing nuts and two thin slats of wood with holes drilled to accommodate the wing nuts. The slat goes under the rack. You can also buy nice wooden slatted crates from etsy or use a wood wine box (heavy)

Glad to hear so many grad students are biking! I've been biking an average of 3-5 days a week for an average of 5 miles each way. To not repeat whats been said, I know milk crates are GREAT when it comes to making the bike ride more comfortable, but if you are like me I'd rather just take a backpack. For less then 4 miles total a day, I'd suggest a backpack. Ditto on the messenger bag, its a PIA and super uncomfortable.

My suggestions:

If you don't need to be too dressy, where some comfortable jeans. Bringing a change of shirt, small towel and deodorant has done wonders for me.

Invest in a GOOD u-lock that is small. http://www.jensonusa.com/Locks/Kryptonite-Krypto-Series-2-Mini-U-L-OCK I can almost guarantee that a cable lock will lead to a stolen bike.

If you have the luxury, keeping work supplies like books at school is great. I work in a lab that allows me to keep most of what I need there. I bring lunch meat, bread, some coffee and leave it there. I also keep most of my books there. I avoid carrying my laptop as much as possible but that's usually the only big thing I carry.

Buy a bicycle travel bag. This is great for carrying essentials for efficient commuting via biking: a multi-tool, small pump and a spare tube. I've been saved over a dozen times by my pump and spare tube (everyone in Tallahassee seems to love throwing glass bottles on the road). BTW, avoid glass like the plague.

Travel bag http://www.jensonusa.com/Bags/Topeak-Aero-Wedge-Strap-Mount-Pack

multi-tool http://www.jensonusa.com/!5S3fFg4vVTEmf-qC-f!ygA!/Park-Tool-IB-3C?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic

(I own the one above and its amazing. It comes with a tire lever which makes my life surrounded by glass much better)

Pump http://www.jensonusa.com/Frame-Pumps/Topeak-2000-Road-Morph-Pump

(I own that pump also and its well worth double the price it comes at. It has a foot peg and comfortable handle plus it can inflate both schrader and presta valves. I can get up to about 80psi pretty easily)

Overall, for less than $150 you can make your bike a model of efficiency. All you would need to additionally carry via backpack is a change of clothes (maybe). I'd say its a great investment considering you'd save the $480 in parking, the gas money and get in better shape.

If your going to bike in all-weather conditions, I highly recommend a SINGLE-SPEED bike :D

They are super easy to clean + maintain! They are also much less prone to mechanical problems and weather-corrosion.

If your going to bike in all-weather conditions, I highly recommend a SINGLE-SPEED bike :D

They are super easy to clean + maintain! They are also much less prone to mechanical problems and weather-corrosion.

For sure, however it depends on the weather where you live. I'm in SW Ontario and I like to use studded tires (it's icier and snowier than TO) so I have a separate bike for winter. You can't get studded tires for road bikes.

I'm about to convert my road bike to a SS.