U of T MIRHR 2012 Application

deltav1234

I'm also still waiting. I've been told it will be a couple of weeks until I hear something but there has been one posting on this board already from someone who was accepted. I think they've only done one round so far. Considering the program is so small, there will probably only be one more.

I also got accepted to the advanced standing program this morning. I'm sooooooooooooo... pumped!!! Good luck to everyone and look forward to working with you.

For those who unfortunately do not gain admittance, please do not call Carol and begin screaming at her. She's really nice and she has nothing to do with you being selected or not. Keep your head up and find out what you can be done to improve your odds next time. Sorry if this comes across as preachy.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I am thinking applying into MIRHR program at UofT. I was told it is very competitive program to get into. If it's not to much to ask can you please answer the following question:

- Did you have any experience working in field labour relations or HR when you applied? If yes, how long have you been working in field?

- What was your gpa? I am still in my degree program. Will gpa 3.70 do it or do I have to get higher?

Any insights would be very helpful. Thank you.

Marina

Hey everyone,

I am thinking applying into MIRHR program at UofT. I was told it is very competitive program to get into. If it's not to much to ask can you please answer the following question:

- Did you have any experience working in field labour relations or HR when you applied? If yes, how long have you been working in field?

- What was your gpa? I am still in my degree program. Will gpa 3.70 do it or do I have to get higher?

Any insights would be very helpful. Thank you.

Marina

Hi Marina,

I was fortunate enough to gain admission into this program for September 2012 admission. Here are my answers to your questions:

1. I worked throughout my undergraduate degree in HR. I worked part-time hours during the school year and then throughout the summer (5x as a summer student). I then proceeded to working a 1 year contract in HR after graduation, followed by a 2 month unpaid internship and am currently in another HR contract until the end of August.

2. Not too sure what my GPA was for my last 2 years, but it averaged out to about 81%

3. HR experience is not necessary typically- but it can only make your case for wanting to get into the program all the more competitive. No experience + an amazing GPA + good references + sincere letter of intent, will also help your cause. Focus on getting good references that will write toward your skills and not some generic letter. Also try and get some entry level experience. I didn't come from an HR or business background in my undegrad, so I had to demonstrate why I wanted to take this route.