Contacting Other Prospectives

felicidad

Forumgoers,

How would you feel if you received an e-mail from one of your potential cohort-mates asking if anyone had committed to attend your university of choice? I got one of these e-mails from a university that I decided not to attend, and was CCed on several confirmative responses from people who had decided to join that department. I thought it was a nice gesture, and a nice way to feel like a part of the department.

I thought I might send a similar e-mail to the prospective students who attended the visiting day of the university I plan to attend. If you were the recipient of an e-mail like that, how would you view it?

I guess I'd find it extremely sincere. If couple of people are gonna see each other all through the years and be a part of the same community, I think I'd be nice to be welcomed by the other parts.

I also think it's a great idea - even if they don't end up in your program, you might see them at conferences or on the research circus (I mean circuit!) so it's nice to build those connections now, especially if you've met folks who have similar research interests. Plus, if you're moving to a whole new city or area, it's nice to not be alone for the first couple of weeks!

I also think it's a great idea. I'm assuming that you're obtaining names from the list of attendees at each school's open house? Keep in mind that there are likely going to be people in your fall cohort who weren't on that list (students who couldn't make it to the official open house, or were admitted off the wait list). Before getting too deep into a big group conversation, I would e-mail the DGS for the final cohort list. They should have this pretty well firmed up by the beginning of May.

That is certainly a good gesture. I e-mailed the few people I most got to know at the visitation to check in and see how their decisions panned out. Out of the few I hit it off with all but one decided to join my program as well which is pretty exciting.

:ph34r: