UCLA?/Northeastern

Two very different questions lumped into one post -- how lovely...

1. I noticed that some people posted on the results page that they had heard from UCLA's English Dept about decisions, but on the forum the only chatter is about Comp Lit. Has anyone heard from the English program? I hope I'm not waiting in vain...

2. The only acceptance I've gotten so far (and, because of how devastating this process is, I'm going with this being my only acceptance) is from Northeastern. I like their program, and I want to go to graduate school enough that I'd pretty much go anywhere (my career goals also don't require me to go to a top 10), but I was wondering if anyone here knew much about them/how they're considered in the larger academic world.

Good to hear!

I saw this morning that someone posted on the results page that their UCLA online admissions page was updated with a rejection. As of now there's still no decision made on my page, which I'm taking as a good sign, though I am skeptical of whether these UCLA results are really for Comp Lit or actually for English, as they are listed.

Good luck to everyone...

Good to hear!

I saw this morning that someone posted on the results page that their UCLA online admissions page was updated with a rejection. As of now there's still no decision made on my page, which I'm taking as a good sign, though I am skeptical of whether these UCLA results are really for Comp Lit or actually for English, as they are listed.

Good luck to everyone...

I was wondering about the veracity of that post myself. I don't have an update either, which I want to take as a good sign, but I think it's no sign....

I received an acceptance e-mail from UCLA (!!!) on Tuesday at around 7 p.m. ET and posted about it on the results page. The message was not personalized beyond my last name, which is at the beginning of the alphabet. I wish I had more information for you, but, alas, I don't know anything else. The message said that the cohort would be small, but it didn't give numbers, and aren't these cohorts always small?

The e-mail came from members of the department, and my UCLA online decision status page was not updated as of the result by midnight on Wednesday. I just checked it now, though, and there is a decision letter available that comes from the graduate school itself. This leads me to conclude that the online application page is updated by the grad school, while the department may be on a different timeline.

My guess is that there's still hope, as the cohort can't be *that* small and there are just not enough posts on the results page for it to seem like they're done. Crossing my fingers for those still waiting!

I was also admitted to UCLA English (not Comp Lit) on Tuesday. The email didn't say anything about whether or not they had contacted everyone, but given the small number of acceptances posted on gradcafe, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more to come! Good luck!

So now people are posting about rejections from UCLA via email directing them to the website... and still nothing for me! I think they forgot about my application.

This may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe I can sneak in unnoticed into their graduate program...

I feel like they should have some kind of deadline by when they have to inform us or something... or at least a hint! My last name starts with K, if that helps. Alphabetized rejections would be cruel and unusual.

I think most likely is that they did first round acceptances and first round rejections and are now dealing with all of us that fall into the "well, their a strong candidate, but..." pile. At least I hope so.

I haven't heard anything from UCLA either. (I applied comp lit.) My page still says "no decision." And yes, I check it compulsively, too. In fact, I should be doing my work right now, not reading all the posts on here. =) I'm also still waiting for Duke (lit). I saw on another post that someone called Duke and the secretary said they go through their apps alphabetically. My name ends with a S, so maybe they're getting to it and going to send me an acceptance letter/email?!! UCLA, too?!! I can only dream, I think!

I don't want to jinx myself (I feel like every time I mention any of this the grad school gods get angry and kill my chances a little more), but is anyone still waiting to hear from UCLA? As each day passes, the pins and needles get more painful...

I don't want to jinx myself (I feel like every time I mention any of this the grad school gods get angry and kill my chances a little more), but is anyone still waiting to hear from UCLA? As each day passes, the pins and needles get more painful...

I'm still waiting to hear from UCLA (comp lit).

I am waiting too, I do want to hear from them but, then again, I don't--so far I have only received news that I don't really want to hear. I have no idea what the admissions process is there, nevertheless it appears like they have rolling admissions. Last week there seemed to be a modest wave of rejections along with a splash of acceptances. But I have heard nary a peep since then.