UW's new masters program 2012

Hey Guys,

I was just accepted to UW's "new" MS program in Statistics (now called "Advanced Methods and Data Analysis"), and wanted to get anyone's opinion if they thought this program was legitimate or just a cashcow to fund their PhD program. I just got an acceptance letter today, and need to make a decision in 2 days. They require both a MS theory and applied exam, so it seems like its a legitimate masters. Anyone have any thoughts about this program as I know many of you know more about this than I do. Thanks guys!

-dunleavy005

(PS I'm also really interested in statistical learning so if anyone could comment on UW's strength, that would be great!)

Edited by dunleavy005

Cashcow, probably, but isn't every single master's program? Seems like some public universities are finally putting into place what Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, etc. figured out a while ago.

The core courses are basically what the stats PhD students without master's already take in their first two years, minus the year of analysis and the advanced theory sequence. I don't think the quality of the training in the new MS program is in question, but you would obviously be a guinea pig. I could see it going either way. On on hand, there could be some administrative hiccups and the department just doesn't know what to do with you. But on the other, if the starting cohort is smaller than future cohorts (because it's new and relatively unadvertised?) and they're trying to make sure the program is successful, you could potentially get better advising and more attention than you would at a more established master's program.

Sorry you have to make a decision so quickly, best of luck! I'll be starting in the PhD program this fall, maybe see you there?

Hey Guys,

I was just accepted to UW's "new" MS program in Statistics (now called "Advanced Methods and Data Analysis"), and wanted to get anyone's opinion if they thought this program was legitimate or just a cashcow to fund their PhD program. I just got an acceptance letter today, and need to make a decision in 2 days. They require both a MS theory and applied exam, so it seems like its a legitimate masters. Anyone have any thoughts about this program as I know many of you know more about this than I do. Thanks guys!

-dunleavy005

(PS I'm also really interested in statistical learning so if anyone could comment on UW's strength, that would be great!)

It is UDubbs PHD program minus a thesis and 3rd year courses. . .academically I wouldn't worry about the quality of the instruction.

So if I were looking to go to industry after, even amassing $40k in debt roughly, is it a no-brainer place to get an MS at? (this is the only school I got into for MS, and would need to re-apply again next year, as I applied for PhD programs this year but UW offered me this MS instead)