assistantship background check

grad14236

Does anybody here know if schools usually run background checks on teaching assistants and/or graduate assistants? If they do, are they looking for only felonies or will they care about anything, including dismissed/expunged misdemeanors? I am sure each school is different and from what I hear, some schools do check while others do not... I am just trying to see if anyone has any experience with the matter. I am specifically asking for those in arts programs, even more specifically creative writing MFA programs. I myself have two dismissed misdemeanors from a long time ago. According to the law in my state, employers cannot use dismissed misdemeanors against you, but out of state universities are another matter. Please help.

I have no clue if misdemeanors can be held against you, but I was under the impression that all schools have a 'right' to do a background check once you've been admitted into the program, whether or not they actually do one, I don't know.

On most of the applications I filled out, they only asked about felonies. So, I wouldn't sweat it...I mean, doing something like getting a ticket for some pot or an open container is chump change...now, stealing a car, on the other hand, lol...

spinrah's comment sounds appropriate.

Good luck!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use