anyone with words of wisdom about Stats MS/PhD programs

Hi guys I've been out of school for over 3 years but planning to return to do a masters or phd in Statistics. Haven't really done much research, just know that I'll be applying this fall for programs starting next spring or fall. I heard grad admissions are very competitive nowadays, would be great if someone could share their experience applying to these programs as well as any advice. Some background info, #s slightly fudged up but not enough to make a diff. definitely applying to UCLA and USC for its location, not sure which other ones i'll go for...

- 3.7 GPA from a top 40 undergrad

- ~1300 GRE, 800Q, 500V

- solid math background. multiple quarters of real analysis, linear/abstract algebra, topology, diff eq, numerical analysis, stats, graph theory, operations research, modeling. something like a 3.85 upper div GPA.

- solid econ background, couple classes short of an econ minor but had to drop due to schedule problems.

- three actuarial exams passed (for what it's worth) but no relevant experience. possibly will have 1 more passed around application time but in general weak work experience for having been out of school for so long

- letter of recs prob won't be that strong as i'll have to bug profs who prob don't even remember me

thanks!

Edited by Shostakovich

What have you been doing in those three years?

tried out working in a law firm for a bit, didn't really like it so started taking actuarial exams while i worked some accounting jobs (not for a big firm). haven't really been able to land a decent job to be honest, all the interviews i get around here seem to have hundreds of applicants.

Ouch. Well then I would recommend getting in contact with ex-professors now (sending a CV wont hurt), especially those whom you had more than one class with. You just need someone who is able to write you a STRONG letter. Make sure you indicate this. If you have a professional relationship with one of your ex-employers - use that. It can't hurt, especially if you are only applying to Masters programs (which will be easier to get into).

I've been out for some years now too, but I think it actually made my application stronger because of how I framed it. It helps to be able to talk about how what you've been doing has shaped your research interests. Think seriously about what kinds of topics you might want to work on in grad school and how you can connect those with where you've been (both back in college and in the past few years) and show that it will make you more likely to succeed as a student and researcher. Find your story, then share that when you reconnect with your potential letter writers to help them say nice things (as well as reinforce your message).

Apply early. Some schools consider an early round of applicants so you are competing with a smaller pool. Also, cast a wide net. The application process is a bit of a crapshoot. I got into some very good programs and was rejected by programs that would generally be considered much less competitive.

I've been out for some years now too, but I think it actually made my application stronger because of how I framed it. It helps to be able to talk about how what you've been doing has shaped your research interests. Think seriously about what kinds of topics you might want to work on in grad school and how you can connect those with where you've been (both back in college and in the past few years) and show that it will make you more likely to succeed as a student and researcher. Find your story, then share that when you reconnect with your potential letter writers to help them say nice things (as well as reinforce your message).

This was basically my experience as well.

It sounds like you have a very good math background, so I wouldn't worry about that unless you are applying to a school that recommends the Math GRE Subject Test. There aren't many of these schools.

I also had several actuarial exams under my belt when I applied. (I am entering in fall 2012.) They did not really factor into any of my interviews or conversations. Don't try to make too much of them, because (in my opinion, although I don't know for sure) the math you are likely to face in your PhD coursework is more intense than actuarial exam studying. In my interviews and conversations, the other party was more interested in why I was changing careers. Why am I drawn to statistics?

Some interview advice: Think of the questions you would ask somebody who's in your exact situation, but let's say, a couple years ahead of you. Think of what questions you'd ask that person, and then ask yourself the same questions. This will help you prepare, and it will help you have natural answers to questions you'll face. And be yourself! In my interviews, I saw answers from others that seemed to be applicants maybe not being themselves. This stood out to me. Hmm, I would have some more things to say I guess, but hope this helps. I'll stop here.

Edited by HappyPessimist