Best mobile phone and data plans (for Canadians) in U.S.?

I was wondering what phone plans international students studying in the U.S. are using?

I'll be living in NJ and wondering which providers any of you might recommend? I've heard good things about Verizon.

I am looking for the best data plan (2 GB is sufficient) and a SMS bundle. (I don't think I'll need unlimited SMS, as I use iMessenger on my iPhone already for text-heavy contacts.)

Also, do Canadian students in the U.S. prefer a "Nationwide + Canada" phone plan or do you just use Skype/Facetime/calling cards?

(I noticed there were old threads from 2008 and 2011 on phone plans, but the 2011 one is dead or I can't open it.)

Edited by ltam

so are you looking for "international students studying in the U.S." or "canadian students studying in the U.S." to respond to your question?

I'm also curious about the 'Nationwide + Canada' plan, but I think Skype is enough for me to make calls to family and friends. I don't expect to be in Canada more than once or twice a year, so I also don't need a plan that allows me to make calls within Canada like more frequent travellers may want. When I break my Rogers contract (wish me luck :unsure:), I'll probably go with Verizon for a new iPhone and the 2GB data plan. 450 anytime minutes and 1000 texts is enough for me, I think.

I'm actually doing the opposite of you- I'm an American in Canada. I am using a US Nationwide +Canada through Verizon. It's great for me as I have more US minutes than Canadian. The one thing is with Verizon's plan, if you're using a cell phone you need to have both Canadian and US data. I have a very tiny Canadian data plan since I'm connected to wifi all the time, but I have unlimited for the US since it grandfathered in from my US-only plan. If you go for US-only, I highly recommend Verizon. I'm from Philly originally, and the coverage in the PA/NJ area is really good.

I agree with ANDS!, I have SimpleMobile, 40$ a month unlimited data(3G/2G), talk, and text - also international text! If you dont mind buying phone cards for 2 bucks and calling Canada. Check to see international rates for SimpleMobile /Verizon/Metropcs