Oxford Politics students.

Jmansell

Hey I am just wondering if anyone else on this site will be doing graduate research in 2012-2013. I am just curious to see who I will be working with, and if anyone has any helpful advice that would be welcome.

Best, Jordan

@Mcmuffin: the one major difference is that most UK programs do not require a GRE score. Otherwise I believe that application process is pretty much the same (i.e. program of study, transcripts, etc.) Of course, different schools/departments give different weight to the various components....

I have a general question for anyone who is already studying at Oxford: What are your funding sources? I am rejecting a full ride at a Canadian university to study at Oxford with one of the top people in my field, but am nauseous when I think about the fees. Are scholarships/funding packages easy to come by (i.e. through the colleges)? Any advice would be helpful.

I have a general question for anyone who is already studying at Oxford: What are your funding sources? I am rejecting a full ride at a Canadian university to study at Oxford with one of the top people in my field, but am nauseous when I think about the fees. Are scholarships/funding packages easy to come by (i.e. through the colleges)? Any advice would be helpful.

Internal scholarships are extremely difficult to come by. The university-wide Clarendon is really like a needle in a haystack (and I don't know anyone at the DPIR who has one). Some colleges do provide limited funding. They tend to come with very strict eligibility criteria though, and I'm thinking being Canadian won't help your chances. You would also have to be very smart in selecting your preferred college in the application, since many colleges don't have any money available.

There are plenty of students on scholarships, but nearly all of them have external funding.

I'm thinking about doing grad research in the UK. Could you guys tell me a bit about how your application was different from your US versions?

Basically see birdcamp's answer above. In addition, if you are applying for a DPhil/PhD, then you will need an elaborate research proposal, because the set-up of doctoral programs is different (and shorter).

@CooCooCachoo: Thanks for the reply... it is pretty much consistent with everything else I've heard from people at Oxford. The only external funding that I still might receive is a $20,000/year scholarship (which, as I'm sure you know, does not even cover tuition), so I'm assuming that I would have to take out a loan or something to cover my costs.

I'm assuming that you're at Oxford... what motivated your decision to study there? Particular faculty members that you wanted to work with? The prestige/employment prospects of having an Oxford D.Phil? Being offered my placement was kind of a dream come true, though now that the initial euphoria has worn off, I'm starting to get nervous about the financial implications and beginning to second-guess whether or not Oxford is the right move to make. Don't get me wrong - I realize that this is a privileged dilemma to have - but it is a dilemma nonetheless!

@CooCooCachoo: Thanks for the reply... it is pretty much consistent with everything else I've heard from people at Oxford. The only external funding that I still might receive is a $20,000/year scholarship (which, as I'm sure you know, does not even cover tuition), so I'm assuming that I would have to take out a loan or something to cover my costs.

I'm assuming that you're at Oxford... what motivated your decision to study there? Particular faculty members that you wanted to work with? The prestige/employment prospects of having an Oxford D.Phil? Being offered my placement was kind of a dream come true, though now that the initial euphoria has worn off, I'm starting to get nervous about the financial implications and beginning to second-guess whether or not Oxford is the right move to make. Don't get me wrong - I realize that this is a privileged dilemma to have - but it is a dilemma nonetheless!

Your dilemma is a very valid one and I'm not sure what to advise you.

I'm originally from the EU, so Oxford wasn't as big a leap for me. I was drawn by a combination of factors, including the name (childhood dream), the substantive focus and the set-up of the program. Mind you, I'm doing an MPhil and never considered staying on for a doctorate, partly because I am unhappy with the department and largely because there is little expertise here on my main research interest. I'll in fact be heading to the US for a PhD in August.

May I ask you who you applied to be working with? The quality of professors varies so incredibly wildly, and I think that that should factor very highly in your decision, so perhaps I can shed some light on his/her availability, demeanor, expertise etc. Some people that look great on paper really aren't.

As for the costs, keep in mind that Oxford is quite an expensive place to live in. Rent is easily 140 GBP per month (of course there are cheaper places, depending a) on your college, should you go for college accommodation and B) how high maintenance you are). Do note that you could apply to tutor/teach and to be a research assistant, both of which pay fairly well, are not that difficult to come by and look good on your CV. Unlike in the US, there isn't an obligation or expectation for DPhil-students to teach, by the way.

Edited by CooCooCachoo

Your dilemma is a very valid one and I'm not sure what to advise you.

I'm originally from the EU, so Oxford wasn't as big a leap for me. I was drawn by a combination of factors, including the name (childhood dream), the substantive focus and the set-up of the program. Mind you, I'm doing an MPhil and never considered staying on for a doctorate, partly because I am unhappy with the department and largely because there is little expertise here on my main research interest. I'll in fact be heading to the US for a PhD in August.

May I ask you who you applied to be working with? The quality of professors varies so incredibly wildly, and I think that that should factor very highly in your decision, so perhaps I can shed some light on his/her availability, demeanor, expertise etc. Some people that look great on paper really aren't.

As for the costs, keep in mind that Oxford is quite an expensive place to live in. Rent is easily 140 GBP per month (of course there are cheaper places, depending a) on your college, should you go for college accommodation and B) how high maintenance you are). Do note that you could apply to tutor/teach and to be a research assistant, both of which pay fairly well, are not that difficult to come by and look good on your CV. Unlike in the US, there isn't an obligation or expectation for DPhil-students to teach, by the way.

I agree with most of this but I think rent is closer to 140 pounds a week rather than per month. College accommodation probably starts around 80 pounds per week minimum.

• 8 months later...

Basically see birdcamp's answer above. In addition, if you are applying for a DPhil/PhD, then you will need an elaborate research proposal, because the set-up of doctoral programs is different (and shorter).

Hi, 

The information you provided in this thread is quite helpful!! I wonder if you still check this forum. I have a question about Oxford's Dphil in Politics. As an undergraduate in the States, can I apply directly to the Dphil program? If not, what should I choose between MsC and Mphil? The website says that MsC is not a stand alone course. What does this mean? And how likely can I get admitted to Dphil from the MsC? Furthermore, if I apply to MsC only, and since MsC is only one year course, would it not be weird that I will apply to Dphil when I am only one third into MsC?

Thanks in advance!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

The information you provided in this thread is quite helpful!! I wonder if you still check this forum. I have a question about Oxford's Dphil in Politics. As an undergraduate in the States, can I apply directly to the Dphil program? If not, what should I choose between MsC and Mphil? The website says that MsC is not a stand alone course. What does this mean? And how likely can I get admitted to Dphil from the MsC? Furthermore, if I apply to MsC only, and since MsC is only one year course, would it not be weird that I will apply to Dphil when I am only one third into MsC?

Thanks in advance!!

Although I think you are technically able to apply as an undergraduate, but to be frank I think you have no chance at all of getting in. It would be a complete waste of your resources. I certainly don't know of any DPhil students in the two years I was in Oxford that did not have a graduate degree. MScs can be standalone degrees in some departments, but the DPIR doesn't really offer them; i.e. there isn't an organized curriculum, with mandatory classes etc. Unlike in other departments, you would only work on a thesis project. It is much more advisable to do an MPhil, which many students use as a springboard onto the DPhil. My understanding is also that it is relatively easy to move from the MPhil into the doctoral programme, and you should also be able to shave one year off. Note though my comments on funding in an earlier post.

Good luck!

Edited by CooCooCachoo

Although I think you are technically able to apply as an undergraduate, but to be frank I think you have no chance at all of getting in. It would be a complete waste of your resources. I certainly don't know of any DPhil students in the two years I was in Oxford that did not have a graduate degree. MScs can be standalone degrees in some departments, but the DPIR doesn't really offer them; i.e. there isn't an organized curriculum, with mandatory classes etc. Unlike in other departments, you would only work on a thesis project. It is much more advisable to do an MPhil, which many students use as a springboard onto the DPhil. My understanding is also that it is relatively easy to move from the MPhil into the doctoral programme, and you should also be able to shave one year off. Note though my comments on funding in an earlier post.

Good luck!

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

I just got accepted to the MPhil Comparative Goverment at Oxford! Good news!... however....

My ultimate goal is to do a PhD. I was also accepted at LSE MPhil/PhD Development studies, and this programme seems more straightforward because the MPhil part takes a single year and after that, is all research towards the PhD. The only requirement to move towards the PhD from the MPhil is obtaining a 65% in the MPhil year.

Does anyone know how feasible is to move from the MPhil to the PhD at the politics department? (What % of students does this?) 

Or is it easier to move from the MSc to the PhD? I only applied to the MPhil cause I thought it was easier to move from there to the PhD Politics at Oxford. However looking at the webpage apparently only from the MSc students can move to the PhD in a straightforward way. What is your take on moving from the MPhil to the PhD at Oxford? Should I take LSE offer instead?

Thanks for your reply people!

I just got accepted to the MPhil Comparative Goverment at Oxford! Good news!... however....

My ultimate goal is to do a PhD. I was also accepted at LSE MPhil/PhD Development studies, and this programme seems more straightforward because the MPhil part takes a single year and after that, is all research towards the PhD. The only requirement to move towards the PhD from the MPhil is obtaining a 65% in the MPhil year.

Does anyone know how feasible is to move from the MPhil to the PhD at the politics department? (What % of students does this?) 

Or is it easier to move from the MSc to the PhD? I only applied to the MPhil cause I thought it was easier to move from there to the PhD Politics at Oxford. However looking at the webpage apparently only from the MSc students can move to the PhD in a straightforward way. What is your take on moving from the MPhil to the PhD at Oxford? Should I take LSE offer instead?

Thanks for your reply people!

I did the MPhil in Comparative Politics form 2010-2012, so I think I can address some of your concerns.

While there are no statistics available on how many % of MPhil students successfully move from the MPhil to the DPhil, my impression is that most students who make the application are successful. Every year, there will be a briefing on the standards expected and the administrative work involved for making the transition, and typically there is some flexibility involved in terms of appealing at the first instance if one is unsucessful. If you don't make the cut, you can also always go somewhere else for the direct PhD.

In my mind, an MPhil will prepare a person better for both the PhD and the job market than an MSc. Both the MSc and MPhils take similar first year courses in research design, methods and comparative politics. In the second year, MPhils take more substantive courses (I took Japanese politics and Comparative political economy), and focus on writing their Masters thesis. Taking more substantive courses is good because you have some breadth of knowledge which future employers might like, and the Masters thesis almost always forms a few chapters of the DPhil anyway. So your 2nd year writing the Masters thesis is not wasted, and can serve as a platform for giving you time to think deeply about your DPhil research question.

There are 3 reasons why you should probably choose Oxford over LSE (I also got an offer from LSE in addition to my offer from Oxford):

(1) Oxford is just more "prestigious". Almost everyone in academia from the East to West is snobbish like that.

(2) Does Oxford have a potential advisor you want to work with more than LSE? Advisors are king. They can provide you with research and funding opportunities, write letters of recommendation for any type of application, and give advice about career paths. If you have a lousy advisor, prepare for a nightmare. Let me know what is your area of interest and who you are interested to work with.

(3) College life in Oxford is great. Whether it is more great or less great depends on which College you get into.

Downside to Oxford: By default, students get no funding. You have to find funding on your own.

I did the MPhil in Comparative Politics form 2010-2012, so I think I can address some of your concerns.

While there are no statistics available on how many % of MPhil students successfully move from the MPhil to the DPhil, my impression is that most students who make the application are successful. Every year, there will be a briefing on the standards expected and the administrative work involved for making the transition, and typically there is some flexibility involved in terms of appealing at the first instance if one is unsucessful. If you don't make the cut, you can also always go somewhere else for the direct PhD.

In my mind, an MPhil will prepare a person better for both the PhD and the job market than an MSc. Both the MSc and MPhils take similar first year courses in research design, methods and comparative politics. In the second year, MPhils take more substantive courses (I took Japanese politics and Comparative political economy), and focus on writing their Masters thesis. Taking more substantive courses is good because you have some breadth of knowledge which future employers might like, and the Masters thesis almost always forms a few chapters of the DPhil anyway. So your 2nd year writing the Masters thesis is not wasted, and can serve as a platform for giving you time to think deeply about your DPhil research question.

There are 3 reasons why you should probably choose Oxford over LSE (I also got an offer from LSE in addition to my offer from Oxford):

(1) Oxford is just more "prestigious". Almost everyone in academia from the East to West is snobbish like that.

(2) Does Oxford have a potential advisor you want to work with more than LSE? Advisors are king. They can provide you with research and funding opportunities, write letters of recommendation for any type of application, and give advice about career paths. If you have a lousy advisor, prepare for a nightmare. Let me know what is your area of interest and who you are interested to work with.

(3) College life in Oxford is great. Whether it is more great or less great depends on which College you get into.

Downside to Oxford: By default, students get no funding. You have to find funding on your own.

soulgroove thanks for your great reply. It was really helpful. Let me clarify some stuff about me:

I already have two MSc (one from LSE), so I´ve had plenty of class work, I have already a clearly defined research proposal and significant work experience. I did not apply directly to the DPhil because many people told me it was fairly difficult to go in unless I already had a supervisor ex-ante, so I went for the MPhil. 

Anyway, my take at this point is to move as fast as possible to the PhD as possible (no more class work!), and LSE gives a single year of MPhil plus no re application to move to the PhD except getting a 65, while Oxford gives me two years of MPhil, a re application process that has uncertainty and administrative work.  By the way how engrossing is the administrative work? At this point I am more keen on asking to move to the MSc research at Oxford  to move faster to the DPhil. However I am still open to suggestions...

2) I think I have a fairly good supervisor at LSE, however do you have any suggestions in Oxford? I like quantitative comparative politics, econometrics  and political economy. Also I wanted to ask why didn´t you end up finishing your DPhil at oxford? (If its ok to ask).

Thanks a lot for your reply! Very helpful!

Since I turned down an Oxford MPhil offer last semester, and also contemplated LSE, here's my 0.02.

Saying that Oxford is "better" than LSE is interesting... From what I've heard, while Oxford certainly has the stronger laymen recognition, both LSE and Oxford are fairly equal in the academic world (for Political Science, i.e.). Looking at the OP's interests, I would even argue that LSE might be a better fit, since it is more quantitative and more geared towards political economy, IMO.

What is your funding situation like?

And why do you feel you need another Masters, having already completed two MSc?

I would second the previous comment. Oxford's polisci department is an underachiever. LSE is clearly a better choice for OP. Unfortunately, though, if placed in the US context (which is dominant in political science), both schools would hardly make it to top 25. 

PS I also know people who chose Essex over LSE and Oxford. If you look at the faculty, it actually makes perfect sense. 

Hey, thanks for all the great responses.

Since I turned down an Oxford MPhil offer last semester, and also contemplated LSE, here's my 0.02.

Saying that Oxford is "better" than LSE is interesting... From what I've heard, while Oxford certainly has the stronger laymen recognition, both LSE and Oxford are fairly equal in the academic world (for Political Science, i.e.). Looking at the OP's interests, I would even argue that LSE might be a better fit, since it is more quantitative and more geared towards political economy, IMO.

What is your funding situation like?

And why do you feel you need another Masters, having already completed two MSc?

I think there’s a confusion, the MPhil/PhD at LSE is in Development Studies not political science. So I’m choosing between different animals. My take is that the international development department is smaller and less known but there is few really good people doing Political Economy, so I would fit there. Not sure about my fit in Oxford yet. As you said it might be less quantitative so I would be somewhat isolated….

Funding. Currently I'm being considered for scholarhips at both unis, but no word yet. However if I get it the LSE scholarship would cover both the 1 year MPhil and the 3 year PhD. Also because the LSE offer has the word PhD in it I can apply to a broader range of funds....

Yep that is my point, I already have two MSc so I do not need a third. So I want to reduce the coursework to minimum so the LSE 1 year MPhil seems more tempting... but still undecided!

I would second the previous comment. Oxford's polisci department is an underachiever. LSE is clearly a better choice for OP. Unfortunately, though, if placed in the US context (which is dominant in political science), both schools would hardly make it to top 25. 

PS I also know people who chose Essex over LSE and Oxford. If you look at the faculty, it actually makes perfect sense. 

Well according to rankings I would say oxford goes fairly good in a global scale =):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/higher-education-network/2011/sep/06/top-100-world-university-rankings-politics-2011

http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/best-universities-politics-and-international-studies

But lets not get into discussion about rankingsn of departments. Ultimately I think it depends if you have the top people on the topic you wanna work on.