Accepted a funded offer yesterday. Today, better ranked program offered the TA I'd been waiting on to tip the scales.

lunareads

First of all, I am thankful to have any offers at all, so don't get me wrong if I rant a bit :) After weeks of waiting on pins and needles for a fairly competitive school to offer me a TA, I finally made a pragmatic decision and accepted the funded offer I'd been sitting on from a lower ranked program. The DGS at the school I agreed to attend was ecstatic, sending me an enthusiatic e-mail filled with exclamation points and compliments. Honestly, during my campus visit I truly had a connection with him and felt like the program, despite its ranking, would be a great fit. In the process of deciding, I really villified the higher ranked program and convinced myself that their faults were unforgivable and that I couldn't possibly be happy attending their program (call it sour grapes, I suppose). I'm sure it would be all right, but I didn't connect with anyone there like I connected at the other school. However, the higher ranking comes with inarguable benefits that the other school simply cannot offer: numerous distinguished faculty, incredible course offerings, multiple opportunities to teach upper division and literature courses as a TA, driven cohort who would push me, etc.

I'm so torn. First, it makes me cringe to think about dissapointing the DGS at the school I've agreed to attend. Second, I'm not convinced that the better ranked school is the best fit, despite the obvious benefits. I'm so angry that I didn't pull my name out of the running at the second school yesterday, but I never expected this to happen! What should I do?

Thanks, felicidad, but the problem is that I'm no longer certain where I belong. I'm so mixed up about this because of all the waiting and uncertainty. I've never gotten a straight answer from anyone regarding how important ranking is when you're on the job market. Any thoughts on this? I'm sitting on one offer from a school ranked in the 50s by US News and World Report and a school ranked in the 90s. Both have offered equally generous, 5 year TAs with stipends (as of today).

Yeah, did you decline the offer from the higher ranked program? I was in the same situation as you. I had to decide between a higher ranked program and a lower ranked program according to US News and World Report. The lower ranked program has research that fit me more than the higher ranked program. I particular got along with the faculties and grad students during my visit on campus. I did not meet with interesting faculties at the higher ranked program. But I ultimately chose the higher ranked program, but felt that I had made the wrong choice by choosing it. I think you made the right choice in choosing the program that fits you most. Be grateful about it.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't trust a US News ranking past the top 25 or so. Past that, when you're ranking several hundred schools and the middle 75% are fairly equivalent, I don't think there's a huge difference. Go with the program that you feel will fit your research interests and your personal needs better.

I agree with Fit over Rank. If the fit isn't right, then your research won't be what you want it to be and the end result (your dissertation) won't be your "best" work and it will show. THAT IMO could hurt your career goals in the long run.

Also, as others have said above, rank is subjective and it depends on the criteria set by the rankers... I would consider the placement rate of the POIs (not just the school) since its THEIR LORS that will help us get hired later on AND if you have a really good fit with your POI then you are probably likely to get an awesome LOR which will be a huge benefit to you in your job search after the PhD. I mean, think about the options: a great LOR from your POI or a so-so/luke warm LOR from a POI you didn't really connect with?

Everyone makes such valid points, and you all voice the same opinions I've been tossing around. I had proetty much settled on the school I've already agreed to attend until just a moment ago, when the other program called to inform me that I'll be getting an extra $5,000 in my stipend for the first year as a "recruitment award." What the heck? If they wanted me so badly, why'd they wait until now to tell me? The DGS was so standoffish in our meeting that I thought she hated me.

I think it does matter a lot how well connected your teachers/advisors are. This would definitely

affect your academic career. To some extent, reputation is very important. If you decide not to

stay in academia after you finish your doctoral studies, then the reputation of the school would

play a big role in your job hunting ;) If you decide to become a full time academic, then the

reputation of your advisors and school in general still matters.

If you change your mind and want to go to the other school, you can totally do so. Just let them

know why you make this decision. Be polite and sincere, it should be fine I think.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use