columbia anthro

this-sucks

hey anthcat - a combination of factors drew me to columbia. resonances with a number of faculty who are trained anthropologists and those trained in other disciplines but teaching in the anthro department . faculty in departments outside of anthro (mealac, english, comp lit, phil), as well as student interests/research. importantly, i also love nyc. how about you?

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath over it.

For me NYC is important not just because I've always wanted to live there (for a while, at least), but because my research interests make a big metropolis the ideal place to do incidental research. The other reason I applied to Columbia is because of the faculty who work in Asia.

Good luck to all the Columbia Anthro applicants. Although I am not in the anthro department, I am a current Columbia grad student (and applicant). I can tell you that it is an exciting place to be right now. Over the past decade, they have amassed a fine group of scholars under the direction of Nick Dirks. From my understanding, things were pretty dismal in the early nineties. What are your sub-fields/areas of interest?

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? I've applied to socio-cul. I wrote to a faculty member recently and he said he was impressed with my application but that it was a tough year with shrinking positions so it was all up in the air. I don't want to lose hope but I'd like my life back.

hey there - i know they've notified some students via phone calls, but i'm not sure if that's just the students who have direct contacts in the department. if i were you, i'd go with what the prof you emailed said. if he didn't mention anything about a rejection, they're probably still deliberating over some students. i'm sure if they had decided, he would have told you more. good luck!

Oh so they have notified some students? Were they all accepts? I hear they take only about 10 for the PhD. Yes, I heard back from the prof on Sat the 28th. So hopefully they are still deliberating. Hopefully one of us here will hear something soon.

as far as i know, those contacted were given offers, but i also think the process is not quite complete yet. it's a strange year, and depending on who accepts/declines, i think they have a waiting list. there are less than 10 fellowships this year, so they're doing things a little differently from previous years...i think.

i noticed you've also applied for history phd's. how's that going and which of the disciplines would you prefer. i know i was a little confused about which dept to apply to as well, thought about comp lit and his of conciousness programs, but ended up with anthro.

this is the only anthro program i applied to. applied to 4 history programs. still waiting to hear from two. given the odds this year, and from what i already hear about the programs i haven't heard from as yet, i am preparing myself for reapplying next year. i'll have my MA thesis done by then too which might improve my application. i regret not applying to more schools.