Just graduated and trying to find a teaching job in only ONE city

anti

I’d like to know what others think about trying to locate a teaching position- assistant professor or lecture (tenure-track or not) in one specific city or metro area.

I haven’t reached this stage yet, but my partner and I are moving to a major city on the west coast once I have completed my doctorate because his business is there. Because of this, I will be concentrating all of my energy, at roughly four major universities, all within the same state-wide system and a few smaller private colleges. Will this hurt my chances of being able to find a permanent job? I assume this situation comes up a lot for couples who want to move to specific areas because of their spouse’s work or other reasons. Anyone have any experiences?

Edited by anti

You'd probably get better responses on the CHE forums- there's even a specific section devoted to the two-body problem.

My understanding is that it's exceptionally hard to find a decent teaching job if you're very geographically constrained.