Conference participation?

Hello, though sometimes I visited this page to find some info, today I decided to register myself to create this post, hoping that you can help me.

I have a paper accepted to be presented at the Mannsfield College in the University of Oxford. I was astonished when I was accepted, but then I discovered that the conference is not organized by the University of Oxford, but by a group called Inter-Disciplinary.net. I've searched info about them and it sounds they're legit and in fact I've found that this group is leaded by people with a great scientific CV, but they organize many conferences a year, so I'm doubting about the quality of those.

As the paper which was accepted doesn't cover the main theme of my research, but rather exemplifies a complementary part of it, coupled with the fact that the fee (US 460) and the travel costs wouldn't be cheap. I would like to know if any of you has attended a conference organized by this Inter-disciplinary group. If so I would like to hear your opinions about the quality of the conferencist and also about the organizers.

In case you don't know them, what would you do?

Travel to present a paper in Oxford even when the conference is not sponsored by the Oxford University?

Even that the paper doesn't cover the main theme of your PhD research?

Even if going means to spend the savings of many years?

I would like to read your thoughts, best regards!

I cannot help you out with your questions as I am not a PhD candidate, and I am personally unfamiliar with this group, but I have seen, in my quick research, that there is a Facebook page for the Inter-disciplinary.net, with photos which may give you a sense about the program. It's at least more information?

Thanks for your answer ArtHistoryandMuseum, I've seen the Facebook page of the group, and that has created more doubts about the quaility of the conferences the themes they cover are very bizarre, I'm thinking in not attending.

Eigentuemer,

That is a ludicrous sum of money. I've spoken at two major international conferences, and reading of others I think the highest fee I've seen in my field (Classics) was c. $120. Two this autumn are waiving fees and providing accommodation for speakers to boot, so I'm thinking this is a high-powered *for-profit* enterprise you should be very wary of. Even though we're in different fields, I'm sure you can find another and better opportunity to display your research skills.

Best of luck,

W.

Edited by Westcott

I think international conference travel is only worth it when it's directly related to your (sub)-field. A trans-Atlantic flight alone adds ~1000 dollars on top of all the other costs! I'm not in your field so I don't know what this group is all about.

460 USD for registration is large, but not outrageous, if this is going to be a major conference. I've paid fees as high as 350 EUR (about 500 CAD at the time) but that was for a very large conference (>1500 participants). But all this was covered by my supervisor(s) grants, never out of pocket.

Conferences are work trips that your school or supervisor sends you on, so they should pay your expenses. I think most of the time, a student attends a conference because either the supervisor says "hey, you should talk about your work at this meeting coming up" or the student finds out about an interesting conference and discusses it with the supervisor. I think it's rare that a student would try to attend a conference on their own.

A former supervisor and mentor of mine advised me to never ever spend my personal money to attend a conference. If I was in your position, I would wait until a domestic conference closer to your field happens and present there. Get your supervisor involved if possible!

I have to agree with TakeruK.

International conferences are something that are really expensive. I attended one last summer that was not related to my work only because my supervisor told me I had to and paid for it. However, I would attend an international conference at my own expense to present work related to my field, network, and lets be truthful- travel!

Personally, I would wait until there are local or domestic conferences for my own money. You can attend more, the student scholarships will actually cover about 90% of the cost, and you'll be able to network with the same people most of the time. Domestic/local conferences are more affordable and realistic- and I think at least 1 a year is something everyone should do.

Overall, your supervisor SHOULD fund you for conferences...but myself and many other students often don't have that luxury...that's why it's really important to pick and choose the right ones!

On a side note: I do know a post-doc that pays her own way to an international conference every year just to network with other students and chat with them...in some respect, the community at the conference is really what drives her along and gives her support...I think that's important - if you can afford it!

Edited by Dal PhDer