Is this all a scam?

SnowKat

What obligation do you think schools have to narrow their list before they invite candidates to interview at their own expense? I think they justify it by the potential funding you can get, but I was pretty surprised by how many people get rejected out of 80 or so people who scraped up hundreds of dollars to visit campus. So then you have to visit several schools, to cover your odds, and it's next to impossible when you have a job to get the necessary time off. So then you get people working in higher education who have never left college after starting, and I think that's a disservice. You don't really know what college did for you until you leave it and settle into the real world for a while and see that not everyone values "diversity" like a college campus, etc.

Anyway, I think if college administration is all about increasing access for lower-income students, these higher ed programs are failing to meet their goal.

Edited by SnowKat

If it's a "scam," then I don't really see what they're getting out of it. Unless they're getting kickbacks from the airlines, hotels, etc.