Rush University SLP Class of 2014

SLP31

I'm very excited about starting grad school this fall. I was hoping to start a group of some sort to get to know as many people as possible going to Rush University for the SLP program this fall. I'll be moving from California, so knowing a few people before starting the grad program there would be very helpful. We could help each other out on housing, registration, etc.

Awaiting your reply!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I am going to Rush, but I'm local. Can help with housing questions if you need it. :-)

I found a place near the UIC campus that's a 20 minutes from Rush. Do you recommend walking to classes? I was thinking about bringing a car to avoid the windy and snowy weather. What do you think? Thanks!

Hi everyone! Hopeful SLP, what do you think about Logan Square/Ukrainian Village/Bucktown areas in relation to Rush (or other neighborhoods close to the blue line?) What's your opinion about the areas closer to Rush, like University Village? I didn't get a really good sense of the surrounding area when I visited, other than the blocks of hospitals. Did you go to one of their preview days? I can't wait to meet everybody

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Hopeful SLP, what do you think about Logan Square/Ukrainian Village/Bucktown areas in relation to Rush (or other neighborhoods close to the blue line?) What's your opinion about the areas closer to Rush, like University Village? I didn't get a really good sense of the surrounding area when I visited, other than the blocks of hospitals. Did you go to one of their preview days? I can't wait to meet everybody

Then you didn't look in Little Italy, a really nice neighborhood in the tri-Taylor area. Very close to Rush and many girls walk/public bus from there and other neighborhoods (or take the El) to class. Tons of med students and Ph.Ds live in the area and it feels youthful. Rush is definitely a medical center but there's ways to get that "campus vibe." Not many people own cars or use them consistently to get to Rush because public transportation is just sooooo much easier and less of a hassle.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to Rush! My boyfriend and I will be living in Medical District Apartments, one block away. I was a little wary of the horrible reviews it's gotten online, but a lot of those people sound like spoiled brats who need maintenance to fix everything for them. You really can't beat the location and amenities, and it's safe. I'm excited about being that close to Little Italy, but I will probably be living on no income, so trips there will probably have to be kept to a minimum :(

Recently I have been throwing around the idea of not even bringing my car. Isn't it a huge hassle to bring your car to live out-of-state? I know Illinois has a lot of rules regarding parking. What do people think of walking/cabbing to the grocery store, or of having groceries delivered by PeaPod? Opinions/advice are appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to Rush! My boyfriend and I will be living in Medical District Apartments, one block away. I was a little wary of the horrible reviews it's gotten online, but a lot of those people sound like spoiled brats who need maintenance to fix everything for them. You really can't beat the location and amenities, and it's safe. I'm excited about being that close to Little Italy, but I will probably be living on no income, so trips there will probably have to be kept to a minimum :(

Recently I have been throwing around the idea of not even bringing my car. Isn't it a huge hassle to bring your car to live out-of-state? I know Illinois has a lot of rules regarding parking. What do people think of walking/cabbing to the grocery store, or of having groceries delivered by PeaPod? Opinions/advice are appreciated!

A car in Chicago can be useful, but unnecessary. While cabs are expensive, public transportation and traveling on foot is good enough to get by. Having a car just means more money--gas, parking (which gets pricey), stupid parking citations if you forget to move your car, etc. I'd say you don't need the car because of CTA/Pace/Metra system. If you're concerned, sign up for Zipcar so you can have a car when you really need it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I totally forgot about checking back here - I assume you have housing figured out already. If you do not, I can try to help you with what questions you have but I am more familiar with the downtown area/north of the city.

I could not make it to the preview day so I was bummed that I couldn't meet people from my class. I have met a few of the current SLP students from previous events/through my work but I do not know anyone from our cohort yet.

I would love to join a FB group. I do not know of one yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I totally forgot about checking back here - I assume you have housing figured out already. If you do not, I can try to help you with what questions you have but I am more familiar with the downtown area/north of the city.

I could not make it to the preview day so I was bummed that I couldn't meet people from my class. I have met a few of the current SLP students from previous events/through my work but I do not know anyone from our cohort yet.

I would love to join a FB group. I do not know of one yet!

Didn't you make one? You said you copied what the class of 2013 did

Edited by caffeinerd