Pursuing a PhD for "para-academic" jobs?

Fifster

I received my BA in a humanities field 4 years ago, and went on to work for a couple of years in international education, before deciding to apply to PhD programs in a related humanities field (I work on long 18th century British cultural history, and history of the book). I didn't do a very good job of contacting potential advisors and I was switching fields, so I wasn't admitted to any doctoral programs, but was accepted to a funded, two-year MA at a top university, which I was told could give me the necessary background to try again.

I've just now completed that MA, and I've not yet reapplied for doctoral programs because I'm increasingly uncertain of what my best move might be. I'm quite familiar with all of the admonitions that prospective humanities PhDs get: the job market is nonexistent, grad school can destroy your soul, etc. In part because of this, but also because I've become increasingly familiar with other "para-academic" careers--in administration, libraries, museums, etc.--I'm no longer convinced that I want to take the "traditional" PhD-to-tenure-track-job path, even if such a thing were more obtainable. My graduate experience thus far has convinced me that, while I definitely have the capability to succeed in a PhD program, I really would prefer a more "public service"-oriented field, such as librarianship, which could let me maintain links to faculty and students, but without having to sustain the research agenda that a high-powered tenured faculty member might.

The problem is that many of these jobs, it seems, require PhDs (in addition to MLSs if they're library jobs), and so many humanities PhD programs seem adamantly opposed to admitting that their graduates might take careers outside of the "traditional" path. I've often heard that one should absolutely not undertake a doctoral program "for the fun of it"; rather, one should do so only if one's intended career requires it. In general, the "intended career" implied is that of university professor -- but now that so many other "para-academic" careers seem to require them, is it legitimate to apply for PhD programs with that sort of aspiration?

I'm tentatively planning on applying for MLS programs this fall, and seeing where that might get me, since that could at least lead directly to a job, unlike a PhD program, which I might never finish.

The more I learn, the more I feel like the job that I would most like is "bibliographer" -- a path that combines aspects of history, librarianship, and archival management and that, sadly, doesn't seem to exist much today. Still, being able to work as a special collections librarian and publish or teach occasionally seems like the closest thing.

Am I just tilting at windmills here? Or am I placing artificial stumbling blocks in front of myself? Do you, O Internet sages, have any thoughts?

As for programs opposed to graduates seeking non-academic careers, I'd often heard that as well. However, I've had open talks with other students about career alternatives, particularly about teaching in private secondary schools, which often pay much higher starting salaries than even tenure-track academic jobs. The market is so bad that it doesn't make sense not to consider alternatives. You, however, are saying that an alternative to a career as an academic teacher would be your primary goal rather than an alternative. I would say to not let that discourage you from applying. That said, I wouldn't discuss your future plans in your application materials or with faculty members.

I work on print culture and history of the book in early America and I too have often thought how much I'd like to do bibliographical work or the other kinds of para-academic careers you mentioned, i.e., subject librarian, special collections archivist, etc.... If not only because that type of job would leave me more time with my family than even my graduate work now let alone a job. I am, however, committed to an academic career, as of right now, and, with a family to support, I don't see myself doing another graduate degree, like an MLS, after I finish the PhD.

Ask some people at your university with MLS's about how necessary the PhD is in addition to the MLS. If it turns out that you need to do the PhD, just apply without baring your soul about your likely intentions. Best of luck!

I went to the National Council on Public History's annual conference this year and they had a session just on this topic. I'll tell you what they said:

PhDs - it's not a requirement normally. The reason a lot of people in the department have PhDs is because of the fact that it's *hard* for History PhD's to find tenure track and so they come (as the House of Representatives Historian said) "to the right side."

MLIS/MA - those two together can get you a lot of job offers.

Think about government/contracting jobs that are "para-academic" - Office of the Historian in both the House and Senate, Office of the Historian for the State Department, etc.

You would be amazed at the amount of History jobs that are by the US Gov't. For example, I know someone who works for Joint Munitions Command (they make the bombs and the bullets, not the guns. That's someone else) for the Army. Even in that organization, they have a historian. Which is great if you're a military historian of course. But if you're not, and you're flexible you can find lots of jobs. USAJobs and all it's confusing-ness is where I would point you to.

Lastly, is the idea of History contracting. It's kind of new. The only one I know of is History, Inc. which does contracting services for museums, non-profits, etc. The guy I heard at the NCPH talked about his job and how he was currently help make a museum exhibit for a museum in Egypt.

So, I really hope that helped you feel a bit better about the "para-academic" world.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about any of what I said earlier. I've gained a ton of knowledge just from that one session.

Your concerns are indeed valid. I'm also supportive of "alt-aca" careers. I wouldn't have considered going for my PhD if I didn't see any other ways to use that degree. I had wonderful internships that allowed me to seriously consider the PhD and use it beyond academia. Up until this year, I didn't really want to be a professor. Now I really want to have a shot at a TT job but am open to other careers if that falls through. Like natsteel, I think most doctoral students would like to get a TT job as Plan A. The question is, really, how are their programs going to support and help them to get the skills they need?

I did discuss jobs with some graduate students on my campus visits. Most graduate students at two well-ranked programs are keenly aware of the situation and are basically doing what they can to position themselves in the best way to get interviews for TT jobs. They know that the world won't collapse if nothing works out and will find some other way. One of the programs, that I am attending, already has a system in place for students who don't want to go into academia (of course that wasn't the reason why I picked it) and they've had very successful job placements in the government. But those students are very far and few so it can be quite easy to be isolated when so many want to go into teaching careers. So you'll have to learn to stand on your own throughout the whole program.

As for programs, I do believe that they are changing and responding to the market beginning with cuts in admissions. You need to look at them-- I mean check the department newsletters for events gearing towards careers, course offerings (such as quantitative methods, oral history, etc), faculty's community service beyond the university (can be found in their CVs), etc.

With the last point, I tend to think that faculty who are involved in the community outside of academia would be much more open to alt-aca careers because they know that the world is really much bigger than academia and it's rewarding to interact with the public. One of my mentors is more involved with a museum than I thought. She was telling me how wonderful it is to see her research evolve into exhibitions for the public, and that I should keep that option open.

Definitely do not discuss non-academic careers with ANY faculty, even those with wonderful service records. Focus on getting in. Tailor your SOP. Make yourself sound like you're really interested in becoming an academic. Remain vague in your SOP, position yourself to be a teacher and a researcher. Any mention of "alt-aca" careers will get your dirty looks. You don't know who is actually going to read your file as one never knows who is actually sitting on the admissions committee for that year. Graduate students are, in their eyes, investments worth nearly half a million dollars each plus their time and energy to cultivate them. So make yourself worthy of being accepted with funding. Also, many don't have experience in guiding graduate students in those kind of careers and they HATE admitting that they cannot do this (aka be a failure). Rather, they just avoid talking about it or at least say little.

Once you do get in, do ask questions. Focus on the academic job market. See if anyone mentions alt-aca careers or any kind of "Plan B." Express your fears (yes, play dumb and scared) of not getting a job. See how graduate students, professors, and the DGS respond. Show that you're going into the program with eyes wide open and with an open mind. You still need to keep earning that respect from your (new) colleagues.

It's devious and annoying but ultimately it is about YOU and you want that PhD, and you've got to do what it takes to graduate with that PhD.

And don't apply to PhD programs if you have any thought of dropping out. Money is too precious for everyone.

It does strike me as unfortunate that the prevailing view is that it is necessary to hide one's outside interests from one's advisor. A lot, I'm sure, does vary by program and by advisor. I should emphasize, I suppose, that I'm not categorically opposed to tenure-track work -- it's more like I'm just quite enthusiastic about what else I could do. As you said, ticklemepink, I wouldn't even consider a PhD if I thought that all it could do was give me a shot the minuscule number of TT jobs.

But in any case, thanks, all of you! These replies have been incredibly helpful. I'm doing a bunch of informational interviews with various librarians, editors, and other types like that around my university, most of which has confirmed what you've been saying. I'm confident that I'll find something neat to do one way or another, though!

It does strike me as unfortunate that the prevailing view is that it is necessary to hide one's outside interests from one's advisor.

FWIW, I very strongly disagree with this prevailing view. I think that it is not only unfortunate, but profoundly, ah, controversial.

I recommend that applicants NOT make themselves sound like something they're not and have no intention of being. Do not lie or deceive established professional academic historians. Get in on the merits of who you are, what you've done, and what you want to do. If one travels the path of deception, ask yourself if you're ready to be PNG once a department figures you out, and word gets around, and you're trying to put committees together.

Instead, I recommend that you do your research carefully when it comes time to picking programs. Find ways to make it clear that your interests center around a sector other than the Ivory Tower. Do some research. Find examples of the type of historian you want to be. Figure out how you can follow in their footsteps. Develop a vision of how your path in .ORG .GOV or .MIL or the private sector will help the regeneration of professional academic history without compromising the House of Klio.

You've gotten good feedback over on CHE forums.

What I would say is that do your research on programs and advisers. Also, do informational interviews with PhDs in non-academic jobs to find out how they got there and why. Read the curriculum and course offerings offered by departments. Make sure the relevant courses are offered on regular basis (every year or every other year).

As for advisers, this will get more tricky. As I've said, look for their CVs. Nobody's going to be shy to show their community service outside of the university (makes the university look better in terms of town-gown relations). Some like doing it, others don't care. You want someone who cares and actually does something with the public. Also, find out about their graduate students. What are they doing? if they graduated, where did they go?

I'll stress this: If the adviser doesn't have that kind of experience in dealing with non-academics on regular basis, you don't want that person, no matter how fabulous. S/he will only do you great disservice through poor or no guidance.

Feel free to PM me. I've been through this and it was hell.