Teachers College, Columbia University

dherres

Congrats, learnforlife!

No, I haven't heard anything about financial aid. I submitted my FAFSA and scholarship application and they said packages would be offered before April 15th....

A good friend of mine got her Ed.M. there, and she said that even though it put her a few 10k in debt, it was well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! It seems like Columbia is a really amazing university, and I'm seeing nothing but good things about TC. I've been admitted to the Social-Organizational Psych MA program for the Fall, and I'm trying to figure out how to make this happen. A student ambassador told me that funding is almost non-existent for MA students, but there is work study. I'm not sure what she meant by that, but I've already started applying to part-time jobs in NYC. If I do go my girlfriend and our two cats are coming too, so I want to make sure we live in a safe and comfortable place. Living in FL has become rather depressing due to the economic impact of the housing market crash here, and I'm ready to start a new chapter in my life. Anyone else making a far move to attend TC?

Good luck to all of you, and I hope to see you in NYC!

Mike

I'm pretty sure work study means that you could work at TC to apply your wages to your tuition.

You cannot apply work-study wages to tuition, unless you mean that after you've received a paycheck with taxes taken out and whatnot, you then send that money to the university.

Work-study just means that your employer can be partially reimbursed with federal funds for hiring you, but other than that, it is just like any other part-time job--except that when you've earned your total work-study grant amount (usually between 2 and 8 thousand/year for graduate students), you have to stop working with that employer or they have to pay you out of their own budget. Most part-time jobs are a better deal than work-study, but you can often get a work-study job more easily (limited applicants), and they are more understanding about needing time for schoolwork/working around a class schedule.

Anyone else making a far move to attend TC?

I'd be coming from Atlanta. Not quite as far as FL, but pretty close!

When does everyone plan on moving up? New student orientation is on August 28th; I was told by a current student there to move up sometime during the summer as you hit the ground running once the semester starts, but I'd prefer to put it off as long as possible to save some money! Is everyone planning on working full/part-time while in school? Living solely off of student loans doesn't really sound like a good idea to me, but I'm afraid it's going to be inevitable to some degree.....

I'd be coming from Atlanta. Not quite as far as FL, but pretty close!

When does everyone plan on moving up? New student orientation is on August 28th; I was told by a current student there to move up sometime during the summer as you hit the ground running once the semester starts, but I'd prefer to put it off as long as possible to save some money! Is everyone planning on working full/part-time while in school? Living solely off of student loans doesn't really sound like a good idea to me, but I'm afraid it's going to be inevitable to some degree.....

DHerres,

I'll be working full time and doing the program part time - I currently live in NYC, so feel free to PM with any questions you have about moving up here!

Hi! I've also been accepted to the Org Psychology MA at TC and the MA in industrial labor and relations program at Cornell this fall! i'm debating between the these two programs, so i'm hoping to get some input from you folks - why did you decide on the TC program? And what do you think we'll get out of it?

I'm inclining towards TC so I hope to get some extra push to choose this one :) Thanks for helping very much!

Cheers, Karyn

Hi everyone!

I also have been admitted to the Social-Organizational program at TC and I am pretty sure I will be going there. The only thing I am worried about is funding, but that's an issue anywhere I guess. I'm eligible for work study but I want to look for a job off campus that will pay more and give me more hours. Any suggestions? Also, I'm from Arizona so how would I go about finding a place to live?

Liz

Hi everyone!

I also have been admitted to the Social-Organizational program at TC and I am pretty sure I will be going there. The only thing I am worried about is funding, but that's an issue anywhere I guess. I'm eligible for work study but I want to look for a job off campus that will pay more and give me more hours. Any suggestions? Also, I'm from Arizona so how would I go about finding a place to live?

Liz

Try the New York thread in the City Guide forum.

Hi everyone!

Liz

I've been seeing lots of places listed on craigslist. Also, Columbia has an off-campus housing program to assist students in finding a place: http://www.tc.columbia.edu/housing/deta ... +Resources

I'm concerned about finding a job as well. During the fall semesters, I believe the Consulting Club at the school (led by students in the Org Psych program) hosts a recruitment fair. I don't know if they offer any assistance for those who move up during the summer and want to seek employment then.

Hey I've been admitted to the Clincial psychology dept. MA in psychology of education for the personality and psychopathology program.I plan on attending and was wondering if anyone else out there has been accepted and plans on going as well

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! I am new here so I am sorry if I am posting incorrectly! But I am going to TC for a masters of education program, intellectual disability/autism early childhood education. Anyone else in this program?

My big concern is HOUSING! I am on a wait list for on campus housing. Does anyone know about the on campus housing? I wonder if it ends up being more expensive than off campus, or are they about the same? I am not sure what area is safe, I know for the most part the entire area is great. I would love to be steps to Columbia. Does anyone know an appropriate time to start searching for apartments? Columbia has a great resource for finding apartments and roommates in case anyone doesn't know. You need a CU email address first though.

Good luck everyone, I will continue to read this message board to hear everyone's comments! :D

Ali

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I am currently #124 on the waitlist for on campus housing. Does anyone know what my chances are of getting it? I don't want to wait until round 7 of housing assignment only to find out I didn't get it... by then it might be too late for finding off campus housing!

Thanks!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use