Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I'm in my mid 30's and I noticed many countries are kind of ageist. I understand it varies with every country but I was wondering if anyone has any data regarding "older" candidates (30+) receiving the student ETA scholarship. OR if you or anyone you know who is over 30 and has received an ETA scholarship, I would love to know. It'll give me some hope. Thanks.

My 1st time applying for ETA Turkey. I applied through my campus where I was given an interview.

Some countries have an upper age-limit--with some digging, you may be able to find out if that is the case with Turkey. I only have direct experience with Germany and Austria, and both have limits (29 at time of application for Austria, something similar for Germany). While I obviously don't know the exact reason, I'm guessing that it has a lot to do with wanting to bring in American youth/young people to share things that are fresh (not saying that you aren't--just trying to get in the head of the rule-makers) as well as people who are able to relate to students (which is easier to do when you are closer to them in age). I'm a TA in Austria now, and as TAs we are in a very odd position of being in between students and teachers: addressed by our first name rather than Frau Professorin, encouraged to socialize with students outside of class, etc. but are still expected to maintain classroom control and teach useful lessons. Most of us here in AT are early/mid-20s, and I have noticed that the older TAs (28, 29, etc.) have a more difficult time relating to their students and also struggle with their co/supervising teachers...

So those are just my musings...

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope that the season brings great things to you. Stay warm, go play in the snow (if you have it), and just be thankful for everything we have! I'm always glad to have GradCafe and all of our "secrets" into the admissions process. I see some of my friends--who STILL haven't taken my advice to join GradCafe--confused and nervous all by themselves through these types of things. Bless GradCafe!

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope that the season brings great things to you. Stay warm, go play in the snow (if you have it), and just be thankful for everything we have! I'm always glad to have GradCafe and all of our "secrets" into the admissions process. I see some of my friends--who STILL haven't taken my advice to join GradCafe--confused and nervous all by themselves through these types of things. Bless GradCafe!
Edited by Books2readme

Re: age of ETAs

Most of us in Bulgaria are early-mid 20's but some are a smidge older [one is 30]. The older ETAs seem to get as much from there experience at the school, traveling, and seem to connect with their students just as well. In fact, the older ETAs might have a better time of it in the classroom because the just-graduated of our cohort are only 2-3 years older than our oldest students, so there is more of a struggle with maintaining control in the classroom, drawing boundaries, etc that older ETAs either don't have to deal with as much or are better at handling.

Hello,

I'm gonna apply for the Full Bright graduate scholarship in Bahrain to study Masters of Law international law and human rights. So here's the thing , in my case I was told by friends that not alot of people apply for it so my chances are good however, I'm facing difficulties such as the fact that my graduate GPA is 2.8 and that I lack experience.  I have months before applying so I will  probably volunteer in activities to look stronger. I'm just wondering if anyone here have advices  that can help me because I noticed that most of the posts here are regarding a research and not masters.

Any help would be appreciated , thanks :)

Some countries have an upper age-limit--with some digging, you may be able to find out if that is the case with Turkey. I only have direct experience with Germany and Austria, and both have limits (29 at time of application for Austria, something similar for Germany). While I obviously don't know the exact reason, I'm guessing that it has a lot to do with wanting to bring in American youth/young people to share things that are fresh (not saying that you aren't--just trying to get in the head of the rule-makers) as well as people who are able to relate to students (which is easier to do when you are closer to them in age). I'm a TA in Austria now, and as TAs we are in a very odd position of being in between students and teachers: addressed by our first name rather than Frau Professorin, encouraged to socialize with students outside of class, etc. but are still expected to maintain classroom control and teach useful lessons. Most of us here in AT are early/mid-20s, and I have noticed that the older TAs (28, 29, etc.) have a more difficult time relating to their students and also struggle with their co/supervising teachers...

So those are just my musings...

Thanks for replying and sharing your experience.  I think I like Eternal Icicle's experience and response more.  lol  :)  

Thanks for replying and sharing your experience.  I think I like Eternal Icicle's experience and response more.  lol  :)  

http://usfulbrightstudent.blogspot.com/2009/07/de-mystifying-fulbright-english.html?m=1

If you take a look at this link, you can see that, as some others mentioned, it sometimes depends on the program, although there is a general leaning towards the "student" as opposed to more experienced person who has already been out in the field. That doesn't make you a bad choice, it just makes you "overqualified" -again, depending on the country.

I didn't take the time to go around asking each program which one my level of experience would be best suited for (I'm a French teacher, with 3 years, going on 4, of experience under my belt, but not OVER 4 years, as mentioned below). But honestly, since I have read the above link, I have really seriously begun to brace myself for disappointment. On the one hand, the country I applied to for an ETA prefers those who plan careers in teaching French (or German or Luxembourgish), which is obviously the case for me, but on the other hand, I've already been teaching and am a bit more experienced than the greener student, though not THAT much more experienced. (I'm turning 27 in May, so who knows.)

I copied the relevant paragraphs from the link here:

"*******Prior experience or training in teaching****

Experience or training in teaching may be required or strongly preferred in some countries and not particularly relevant in others. Read the Participating Country Summaries and speak to an IIE Program Manager when in doubt.

****EXTENSIVE experience or training in teaching****

***Remember, this is a student program. *** For some country programs, persons with university-level teaching experience or more than four years of teaching in schools, as well as persons who have completed a master's degree in TESOL or a related field may be overqualified. In other cases, those with teaching experience are preferred. You may not fit perfectly the criteria of the country program to which you would like to apply, however, if you have specific reasons why you feel you would benefit from an ETA grant to that country then be sure to express this clearly in your Statement of Grant Purpose. Contact an IIE Program Manager if you have questions. We would encourage you to consider applying to those countries where your qualifications best match the requirements."

The waiting game is almost over... That, or it is just beginning for a few of us, which I hope is the case for all of you. I feel much connection to you all as we try to pass the time on here together. My husband (good naturedly) makes fun of me for my continuing talk about fulbright, since he would rather just wait without thinking about it at all. (That's impossible for me. I just can't choose to not think about something so exciting.) But I assure him that there are other people out there just like me chatting about fulbright as we wait. (And we are not the only ones, since there was last year's group, and the year before..!)

Re: age of ETAsMost of us in Bulgaria are early-mid 20's but some are a smidge older [one is 30]. The older ETAs seem to get as much from there experience at the school, traveling, and seem to connect with their students just as well. In fact, the older ETAs might have a better time of it in the classroom because the just-graduated of our cohort are only 2-3 years older than our oldest students, so there is more of a struggle with maintaining control in the classroom, drawing boundaries, etc that older ETAs either don't have to deal with as much or are better at handling.

I wonder, Eternal Icicle, if you could tell us how much previous experience in teaching the rest of the ETA's in Bulgaria have? Or other ETA's if you know of any? I know it's different from country to country, though. I'm applying to Luxembourg, which has only been available for 2 years, so there's not a lot for me to go on. The winning applicants have applied via their universities, so it seems they have only very recently graduated... I'm hoping that since in Luxembourg they put the ETA's into the university there, that they'd actually want someone a little older and with a couple years of experience.... (Although honestly I get mistaken for an 8th grade student at my work still!)

Not that it will make any difference now! But you know, anything to give a reason behind their choices...something that I can tell myself to explain why I might not have gotten it.

Oh, and thanks to whoever out that reddit link on here. That was really interesting!

BTW, I'm still hoping for a Jan. 19/20th notification like last year. I'm planning on going back over last years posts to see what school was given the heads up that the notification was going to be sent out.... One school somehow found out earlier than anyone else about when the emails were going to be sent. Or, dare I hope, we could be told earlier than that!

Annnnnnddd one more thing. Does anyone know for the regular fulbright student grants (non eta) whether the host country has viewed the applications yet? My impression was that they only view the applications that get sent over by the commission after the first round, but someone in Ireland (where my husband has applied) visited his website recently. And i feel like that has to has to have been related to this, since it was right near their offices. (thanks to google analytics) So maybe the host country commission and the fulbright commission in the US both review them at the same time?

Okay, signing off. Have a happy new year!

Annnnnnddd one more thing. Does anyone know for the regular fulbright student grants (non eta) whether the host country has viewed the applications yet? My impression was that they only view the applications that get sent over by the commission after the first round, but someone in Ireland (where my husband has applied) visited his website recently. And i feel like that has to has to have been related to this, since it was right near their offices. (thanks to google analytics) So maybe the host country commission and the fulbright commission in the US both review them at the same time?

Okay, signing off. Have a happy new year!

The host country does not read the applications until the US has nominated the national candidates. After the candidates are presented, the host country and the US will decide who they want to grant the scholarships to... I've heard that if there are 20 grants available for a host country, the US will most likely select 40 (double) national candidates. 

This will be the last one, i promise. im on winter break, so i dont have any grading to take up my time!!!! And I was really productive today, too. I wrote a whole unit and a half and even put all of the vocabulary online, organized by chapter, for my students.

So, two years ago they found out on Thursday 20th around 640pm, eastern time I think. Last year, it was Thursday, 19th, around 7/7:30... This year..maybe the Thursday the 17th? Dare to dream! At least thinking that we'll be notified in the evening should keep me from obsessively checking my email during work!

Also, "legally proper" was the one who found out via university FPA that it would be the 19th. Maybe you will be so lucky as to have the same notification?

And, here is an example of how a rejection letter may begin from last year:

The National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education has completed its work and has recommended candidates for the 2012-13 academic year. I regret to inform you that your application is not among those recommended for further consideration

And here is an example of how an acceptance letter began:

I am pleased to inform you that the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education (IIE) has recommended you for a grant under the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for the academic year 2012-13. Your application has been forwarded to the supervising agency abroad for final review. In addition, your application will be forwarded to the program sponsor, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State, for transmittal to the presidentially- appointed J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB). The FSB makes final decisions on Fulbright awards.

It's some comfort to know that I may only have to read the first word to know if I'm rejected! You know, in the movies, when the person is waiting to hear some news, and has to get to the second or third sentence to get to the rejection? Awful. Like in Corina,Corina.

And, here is an example of how a rejection letter may begin from last year:

The National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education has completed its work and has recommended candidates for the 2012-13 academic year. I regret to inform you that your application is not among those recommended for further consideration

And here is an example of how an acceptance letter began:

I am pleased to inform you that the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education (IIE) has recommended you for a grant under the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for the academic year 2012-13. Your application has been forwarded to the supervising agency abroad for final review. In addition, your application will be forwarded to the program sponsor, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State, for transmittal to the presidentially- appointed J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB). The FSB makes final decisions on Fulbright awards.

This is actually quite frightening. If I don't see the word "pleased" within the first sentence of the email, I'll probably go into shock. Lol... :o

I wonder, Eternal Icicle, if you could tell us how much previous experience in teaching the rest of the ETA's in Bulgaria have? Or other ETA's if you know of any? I know it's different from country to country, though. I'm applying to Luxembourg, which has only been available for 2 years, so there's not a lot for me to go on. The winning applicants have applied via their universities, so it seems they have only very recently graduated... I'm hoping that since in Luxembourg they put the ETA's into the university there, that they'd actually want someone a little older and with a couple years of experience.... (Although honestly I get mistaken for an 8th grade student at my work still!)

I hope no one has qualms about the anonymous divulging of qualifications. And I don't know for sure about everyones experience, so these are the impressions I've had from what info people have volunteered. About half our group has no experience or summer/short-term teaching experience. Someone has a TESOL MA, a couple have two-ish years of FT teaching experience, and a couple more have several years of FT work experience (in and out of education). Some of our group have admittedly no interest in teaching as a career, while two plan to head into TFA post-Fulbright, and some may be teaching English abroad again next year.

Also, about people applying through universities-- different schools have different policies, so that graduates of varying years may still apply through their alma mater if their institution allows it, so not everyone applying through university is just graduating.

It's some comfort to know that I may only have to read the first word to know if I'm rejected! You know, in the movies, when the person is waiting to hear some news, and has to get to the second or third sentence to get to the rejection? Awful. Like in Corina,Corina.

This is superstition... just relax. That's the only thing we can do. Selections have been made

I hope no one has qualms about the anonymous divulging of qualifications. And I don't know for sure about everyones experience, so these are the impressions I've had from what info people have volunteered.

Thanks for sharing! I took a look at the candidate profile for Bulgaria and it just so happens that those with ESL experience are at an advantage when applying to that country. But apparently, that doesn't mean only those with experience will be considered, since from what you say there are many who don't have that background. That seems fair to me- just because someone didnt have an MA in esl didnt automatically put them at the bottom of the list. I guess it really must depend a lot on the statement of grant purpose/personal statements and all those recommendations. It's nice to think that they really look at the whole application and give everyone a fair appraisal! The waiting kills me, but attributing the length of time to a fair evaluation makes it more understandable.

Kelseygwynne, love the meme and the bunny heart metaphor. I wholeheartedly agree.

Books2readme, believe me, I've been told to just sit and wait patiently, but that's easier said than done. That's my husband's talent. I can easily take a little disappointment, but it's the waiting that gets me. And anyway, in gmail I can see the first few words of the message in the subject line before I even open it (and when I get notifications of emails on my iPad it shows them too), so I'm hoping ill be able to tell before I even have to click!

Agreed, kbui! Happy new year to all and God bless us in whatever path we all may end up taking this year!

Greetings! As a third time applicant for the Fulbright I thought I’d share some of my experience.

I first applied for a Fulbright research fellowship halfway through my masters program. I had a research question that I wanted to explore abroad, and support from my advisor. I started the application process late with only a few months to prepare all the materials.  My application advanced, but in the end I was not selected. I’d received word just days before graduating. Having waited months the news was devastating. In the end I picked up the pieces, found a job, and moved to a great new city.

A year later, my research interests remained and the time felt right.  This time around I had months to prepare my application materials. In January I received notification that my application was not moving forward. I was shocked to have the process end so quickly. I was satisfied that I had reapplied and done my best, I would have always wondered if I should have given it another shot. It was nice to find out early and avoid four more months of anticipation and putting my life plans on hold. Having gone through the lengthy application process twice, I swore it off.

This past August I received an email from my university advisor, Fulbright had just announced two new research fellowships in my field. My first thought was to delete the email. I thought it over – similar research topic, new country, enormous resources, and a rushed timeline. Then I decided to jump, for a third time. So here I am, back in the familiar waiting game.

Applying for a Fulbright is a lengthy, demanding process that few understand. You carefully craft the materials, the statement, and proposal to show your interests and character in the best light possible. You’ve laid yourself bare to be judged here and abroad. One my close friends shared this passage with me from Theodore Roosevelt, it’s stuck with me and I hope some find it useful.

The Man in the Arena, Excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In A Republic"      

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Happy 2013, be pleased with yourself, regardless of that outcome, you have stepped into the arena!

Greetings! As a third time applicant for the Fulbright I thought I’d share some of my experience.

I first applied for a Fulbright research fellowship halfway through my masters program. I had a research question that I wanted to explore abroad, and support from my advisor. I started the application process late with only a few months to prepare all the materials.  My application advanced, but in the end I was not selected. I’d received word just days before graduating. Having waited months the news was devastating. In the end I picked up the pieces, found a job, and moved to a great new city.

A year later, my research interests remained and the time felt right.  This time around I had months to prepare my application materials. In January I received notification that my application was not moving forward. I was shocked to have the process end so quickly. I was satisfied that I had reapplied and done my best, I would have always wondered if I should have given it another shot. It was nice to find out early and avoid four more months of anticipation and putting my life plans on hold. Having gone through the lengthy application process twice, I swore it off.

This past August I received an email from my university advisor, Fulbright had just announced two new research fellowships in my field. My first thought was to delete the email. I thought it over – similar research topic, new country, enormous resources, and a rushed timeline. Then I decided to jump, for a third time. So here I am, back in the familiar waiting game.

Applying for a Fulbright is a lengthy, demanding process that few understand. You carefully craft the materials, the statement, and proposal to show your interests and character in the best light possible. You’ve laid yourself bare to be judged here and abroad. One my close friends shared this passage with me from Theodore Roosevelt, it’s stuck with me and I hope some find it useful.

The Man in the Arena, Excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In A Republic"      

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Happy 2013, be pleased with yourself, regardless of that outcome, you have stepped into the arena!

With your experience applying in the past and learning from your mistakes, I'm sure you'll be successful this year.

By the way, I was just reviewing my application, and on top there is a space that says:

Rating: N MA MW S RM FW

Does anybody know what those acronyms mean?