Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I mean I have a couple things that I think will set me off from other candidates, the main ones being:

1. I've studied abroad in Hawaii, Mexico, Beijing, Shanghai, currently in Taipei, and most importantly Bangkok.

2. I was able to get a language reference filled out for my beginner Thai, which I've heard is an advantage.

3. I have a Boren scholarship, so that may help boost my application in terms of academic achievements.

4. My GPA is reasonably high, and I'm majoring in biology and Mandarin Chinese, two very different fields. This shows that I have a wide range of practical knowledge.

5. My plans for side-projects include things that will benefit the community and lead by the community.

I hope these things will help my application FINALLY pass through the finals. I'm feeling good about it this year. :)

After taking another look at your background, you represent the Fulbright persona... you are, indeed, a strong candidate. I do have confidence that you can most definitely become a national finalist out of a pool of 120 applicants.

Those are some wonderful accomplishments both nationally and in your community.

There are also a few things that set me apart from other applicants that I would like to mention:

1) I am the co-author of 4 publications in chemistry research (as 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th author)

2) Although I not had the opportunity to travel to abroad, my written and spoken Spanish is advanced: I am able to fully articulate my personality and research goals through Spanish language.

3) My project consist of biological research in which I have acquired many skills and technique through my research experiences as an immunology, inorganic and polymer chemistry research. So, ultimately, I have 3.5 years of research experience that will directly play a role in accomplishing my goals in Spain.

That's all I can think of now... I would like to conduct research in Barcelona to immerse myself in Spanish culture for the first time and to further improve my understanding of Spanish language.

Kbui, I am very impressed with the credentials you have noted. You were awarded a Boren Scholarship, why not apply for a Full Grant? Are you interested in research?

I appreciate that, thank you! I'm not ready for a full grant yet since I haven't developed a research plan yet, and I'm not fully sure of what I would research. I know I want to do something in public health in developing regions in China and Southeast Asia, but I need to do more background research before I apply for a full grant. In addition, if you get an ETA, you can still apply for a research grant later so you can get (hopefully) TWO Fulbrights to do what you love!

Your credentials are also very good. Science research is very intense, and since you've already published it shows that you're very capable to carry out your research plans in Spain. Keep us all updated in January when the finals come around! :D

I appreciate that, thank you! I'm not ready for a full grant yet since I haven't developed a research plan yet, and I'm not fully sure of what I would research. I know I want to do something in public health in developing regions in China and Southeast Asia, but I need to do more background research before I apply for a full grant. In addition, if you get an ETA, you can still apply for a research grant later so you can get (hopefully) TWO Fulbrights to do what you love!

Your credentials are also very good. Science research is very intense, and since you've already published it shows that you're very capable to carry out your research plans in Spain. Keep us all updated in January when the finals come around! :D

Of course, that is the convenience of this forum. :) Thank you for the words of encouragement. Keep us updated

Just spent literally an hour stalking last year's forum on the date everyone found out if they made it past the fist round. Now I just feel 7865984x MORE nervous seeing how many rejections there are! Good luck everyone, only three more months to wait. :rolleyes:

Just spent literally an hour stalking last year's forum on the date everyone found out if they made it past the fist round. Now I just feel 7865984x MORE nervous seeing how many rejections there are! Good luck everyone, only three more months to wait. :rolleyes:

Yeah, actually everyone will finds out in January around the 21st- 31st. Last year, applicants found out as early as the 21st if they were selected as national finalists. Even then, those finalists are subjected to the deliberation of their host country, and I know of a few people who were not awarded the grant as national finalists.

Edited by Books2readme

Kelsey,what are you applying for?

i applied for the mexican binational business grant. its hard to figure out the # of applicants in past years because they are listed along with the full grant candidates. i am optimistic about the strength of my application, but since it is a fulbright, I am aware of the huuuge amount of competition.

I dont know if I will be able to wait until Jan (and then hopefully April) to find out!

Best of luck to everyone.

If there are any other Binational Business Grant applicants out there, feel free to message me

Exactly, and the waiting is only going to get worse! What are everyone's alternate plans??

Mine are a little muddy. I'm applying for Fellowships with some big media places in DC--NPR, The National, those kind of places but, again, these are also not guaranteed! If all else fails i hope to get a job where I'm interning this semester.

Anyone else?

Exactly, and the waiting is only going to get worse! What are everyone's alternate plans??

Mine are a little muddy. I'm applying for Fellowships with some big media places in DC--NPR, The National, those kind of places but, again, these are also not guaranteed! If all else fails i hope to get a job where I'm interning this semester.

Anyone else?

I'm working as a research associate in polymer chemistry next year at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville as I await deliberation. If I am not awarded a Fulbright, I am applying to medical school in 2014.

Yeah, actually everyone will finds out in January around the 21st- 31st. Last year, applicants found out as early as the 21st if they were selected as national finalists. Even then, those finalists are subjected to the deliberation of their host country, and I know of a few people who were not awarded the grant as national finalists.

There is a wide range of possibility as to whether or not you receive the grant after being selected as a finalist. It is entirely dependent on the number of grants offered in the country and the in-country review process for your application (which you have no way of knowing). For example, with the Germany ETA, about 1/3 of total applicants are selected as finalists, and about 1/2 of those are actually awarded the grant.

There is a wide range of possibility as to whether or not you receive the grant after being selected as a finalist. It is entirely dependent on the number of grants offered in the country and the in-country review process for your application (which you have no way of knowing). For example, with the Germany ETA, about 1/3 of total applicants are selected as finalists, and about 1/2 of those are actually awarded the grant.

Thank you for that notification.

In case anyone is wondering, here are a few things because I am going out of my mind. I just need to be put out of my misery- I almost don't care if I get a yes or a no in January. In fact I think an intitial yes in January might just be worse- more waiting!

Here's a spreadsheet of when the people who got the first yes heard their second yes (or final no).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuGpbWEh-3b0dHZzTU1BN0lNLU1yeG5XWktnY2k3bmc

It's includes 10-11, 11-12, and 12-13. If you are recommended in January, I'll make sure that the spreadsheet resurfaces and we can (hopefully) fill it out in hopes of getting out final yes in march.

Almost everyone heard the preliminary yes/no on January 19th 2012 for the 12-13 year, via email I believe.

The first final acceptance/rejection/waiting list letters began to be received on March 5 2012 (Full to Belgium) . That person received a thick small white envelope, but no email, though most everyone else just received an email. (Basically, beligium sent the email before the commission could send out its own official email.) The next was march 9th, the march 13, and on from there even until The end of April and May.

Good luck to all. Putting "faces" to the others applying for the grants helps me to realize how small my chances may be, while at the same time knowing I can be happy for others who may win even if I don't!

In case anyone is wondering, here are a few things because I am going out of my mind. I just need to be put out of my misery- I almost don't care if I get a yes or a no in January. In fact I think an intitial yes in January might just be worse- more waiting!

Here's a spreadsheet of when the people who got the first yes heard their second yes (or final no).

https://docs.google....eG5XWktnY2k3bmc

It's includes 10-11, 11-12, and 12-13. If you are recommended in January, I'll make sure that the spreadsheet resurfaces and we can (hopefully) fill it out in hopes of getting out final yes in march.

Almost everyone heard the preliminary yes/no on January 19th 2012 for the 12-13 year, via email I believe.

The first final acceptance/rejection/waiting list letters began to be received on March 5 2012 (Full to Belgium) . That person received a thick small white envelope, but no email, though most everyone else just received an email. (Basically, beligium sent the email before the commission could send out its own official email.) The next was march 9th, the march 13, and on from there even until The end of April and May.

Good luck to all. Putting "faces" to the others applying for the grants helps me to realize how small my chances may be, while at the same time knowing I can be happy for others who may win even if I don't!

Thanks for digging this chart up!

For some countries, it looks like those who were ultimately rejected found out several days after the acceptances went out to applicants for the same program. How mean! I can definitely envision a lot of email refreshing.

I have a quick question: the Fulbright statistics list how many people applied and how many individuals were ultimately accepted. For instance, in Malaysia, if I remember correctly, it was ~230 applicants and 75 grants. Does this 230 include the number before or after national screening?

I have a quick question: the Fulbright statistics list how many people applied and how many individuals were ultimately accepted. For instance, in Malaysia, if I remember correctly, it was ~230 applicants and 75 grants. Does this 230 include the number before or after national screening?

I'm pretty sure that there were 230 applicants to Malaysia for the October deadline. This number wouldn't include the applicants who applied through their institution and were not moved on to the national competition, however.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Edited by Sarhush

https://docs.google....eG5XWktnY2k3bmc

Don't let numbers intimidate you. If you tried your best and placed your best application forward, it's now time to relax and start worrying about other things, lol. I'm currently working on some "back-up" plans for next year. I don't know why I call them back-up plans since they're just/even more competitive than the Fulbright. I think my LAST resort is stay in Taiwan and become a teacher. Lol...

I'm pretty sure that there were 230 applicants to Malaysia for the October deadline. This number wouldn't include the applicants who applied through their institution and were not moved on to the national competition, however.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

That sounds about right.

20298505.jpg

^ AWESOME. My thoughts exactly.

Yes, kbui, my husband (Ireland Full) and I (Luxembourg ETA) are working on other plans... job applications out of state to teach at various universities. They begin the review process from November - January. So many things to think about, and all going in opposite directions. I guess part of the reason I'm so anxious is because we have several widely different possible futures, with so many things dependent on them (sale of a house, income, moving, with a 1 year old). I guess he and I should have tried to apply right out of college and had this be our second try had we not gotten one then. Oh well!

Also, someone mentioned qualifications that we think would help our applications. I have no idea how qualified I am or not to receive an ETA compared to others. I think many of you are very well-qualified because you applied through a school, which made sure that you were before allowing you to continue. My husband and I are applying at-large, so we didn't have to do that. We both have our fair share of awards, scholarships, grants, international experience, and other achievements. I think we can assume that most of us are qualified for the award. But anyway, I'm applying for an ETA in Luxembourg, where French, among other languages, is spoken, and I am a tenured teacher of French in New Jersey. I don't know if that will hurt or help my application, but I imagine it will help give a context to my desire to go to Luxembourg.

Don't let numbers intimidate you. If you tried your best and placed your best application forward, it's now time to relax and start worrying about other things, lol. I'm currently working on some "back-up" plans for next year. I don't know why I call them back-up plans since they're just/even more competitive than the Fulbright. I think my LAST resort is stay in Taiwan and become a teacher. Lol...

This is very good advice. I am an admissions counselor for a large, more selective public university. So many of my students (and even worse, parents) stress over the admissions process. My fundamental advice for them is simply to put forth their best effort on all aspects of the application, and if in the event they are not admitted, then you have the peace of mind that you gave it your all. There are many qualified applicants and a finite amount of spaces available. Many of my students are the big dogs in their schools, but that pond suddenly becomes an ocean once the competition is opened to students across the country. That is what I keep telling myself about this process, anyways...

I also feel the same way about my "backups." One of them has a 10% acceptance rate, seemingly more competitive than Malaysia ETA.

^ AWESOME. My thoughts exactly.

Yes, kbui, my husband (Ireland Full) and I (Luxembourg ETA) are working on other plans... job applications out of state to teach at various universities. They begin the review process from November - January. So many things to think about, and all going in opposite directions. I guess part of the reason I'm so anxious is because we have several widely different possible futures, with so many things dependent on them (sale of a house, income, moving, with a 1 year old). I guess he and I should have tried to apply right out of college and had this be our second try had we not gotten one then. Oh well!

Also, someone mentioned qualifications that we think would help our applications. I have no idea how qualified I am or not to receive an ETA compared to others. I think many of you are very well-qualified because you applied through a school, which made sure that you were before allowing you to continue. My husband and I are applying at-large, so we didn't have to do that. We both have our fair share of awards, scholarships, grants, international experience, and other achievements. I think we can assume that most of us are qualified for the award. But anyway, I'm applying for an ETA in Luxembourg, where French, among other languages, is spoken, and I am a tenured teacher of French in New Jersey. I don't know if that will hurt or help my application, but I imagine it will help give a context to my desire to go to Luxembourg.

Hello, Here'sHopin'!!

The US Fulbright Commission is not only looking for acheivements, but also a unique personality and sense of motivation. Don't feel too overwhelmed. You're most likely just as appealing to the committee as those who are applying directly out of college or in graduate studies. I was randomly referred to my Fulbright Program Adviser after entering the Honors College this summer. I had not intentions on applying for the grant until I was informed that I was a great candidate for the Full Grant. I too have my uncertainties, but I am confident with my application and I am patiently awaiting notification on the national selection. I am applying to Spain which is a highly-competitive country. I'm also struggling to contain my worry and anticipation. Try to relax during this long stretch until late January :)

I deeply appreciate you sharing your application experience with us all. At the end of the day, you should try to maintain your patience whether you are 100% confident with what you have presented or not. You never know how differently the selection committee will view our applications.