Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Yeah, it depends on your experience. 

I think it also depends on your proposed project. Countries may be more interested in certain projects more than others. You may be more qualified in your field, but the committee reviewing may be more inclined towards a different discipline.  

I think it also depends on your proposed project. Countries may be more interested in certain projects more than others. You may be more qualified in your field, but the committee reviewing may be more inclined towards a different discipline.  

Very true. I know for that as a Fulbright Canada full research applicant that they look for graduate students (pursuing MA, M.Div, JD, etc.) first as a priority.  It's described on Fulbright Canada's website.  jahanzlik is right! Taking a look on the website of the past candidates they have you can tell what type of projects/disciplines they are looking for and if you project falls in line with that.  I know for Canada they listed main subject areas that they are highly encouraging for and my project happened to fall under 3 of the listed categories.  Thursday needs to just come.  Too much reading and assignments and being sick that is really not helping the waiting game! :(

Very true. I know for that as a Fulbright Canada full research applicant that they look for graduate students (pursuing MA, M.Div, JD, etc.) first as a priority.  It's described on Fulbright Canada's website.  jahanzlik is right! Taking a look on the website of the past candidates they have you can tell what type of projects/disciplines they are looking for and if you project falls in line with that.  I know for Canada they listed main subject areas that they are highly encouraging for and my project happened to fall under 3 of the listed categories.  Thursday needs to just come.  Too much reading and assignments and being sick that is really not helping the waiting game! :(

If we keep saying Thursday, it wont come Thursday. I am planning on hiding somewhere and trying to stop checking my email. 

Yeah, I've been informed that some countries are quite interested in the sciences:

Spain:

---- @3:50 "... anything in the sciences could be most welcome."

Even nowadays experience in the sciences and technology is in great demand. 

Edited by Books2readme

This was a fun Magic Ball website I used when awaiting all 15 graduate school decisions last year :D

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

Enjoy! I'm panicking and nervous myself since this is round 2 for me in trying to get Fulbright. Last year's decline was a low blow but I was coached to by so many Fulbrighters to not give up so whatever our fate is, if you don't get it, DON'T GIVE UP.  Good luck everyone! I'm going to focus on grad school now before Fulbright makes me insane! And go enjoy more of Budapest and snow while I can! :P

Not to change the calm environment of the thread... but is there any word on which day they should announce the first round this year... I think I got my announcement last year on the 17th or so...  

Not to change the calm environment of the thread... but is there any word on which day they should announce the first round this year... I think I got my announcement last year on the 17th or so...  

That's fine. I'm just looking forward to news whenever it comes. 

This was a fun Magic Ball website I used when awaiting all 15 graduate school decisions last year :D

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

Enjoy! I'm panicking and nervous myself since this is round 2 for me in trying to get Fulbright. Last year's decline was a low blow but I was coached to by so many Fulbrighters to not give up so whatever our fate is, if you don't get it, DON'T GIVE UP.  Good luck everyone! I'm going to focus on grad school now before Fulbright makes me insane! And go enjoy more of Budapest and snow while I can! :P

Me too! 2nd time applier! This time, I am a little more relaxed. However, I might go crazy on Thursday! 

I got mine on the 19th, so, it matches up with this year to be the 17th! 

I dunno... After a masters, 3 years of a phd program and achieving candidacy I better not be considered the same as an undergraduate (no offense ;))

When you look at your application, you'll see that you'd be grouped into having already attained your Bachelors, masters, or phd. If you don't yet have the phd, then I guess you're in with the masters group as far as your application goes.

But I don't think that's what they were referring to in the webinar. I don't think it was referring to how things were necessarily grouped for evaluation, but more just grouped by general applicant type.... Because an at-large candidate could have received any of the three levels of education.

Last year ETAs received word on January 20th and full research grant applicants received theirs on January 19th. Counter in the fact this is a leap year full grant should receive word January 17th and ETAs January 18th this year or so we all hope so that the waiting game can either end or continue whether we get recommended or not.

Last year ETAs received word on January 20th and full research grant applicants received theirs on January 19th. Counter in the fact this is a leap year full grant should receive word January 17th and ETAs January 18th this year or so we all hope so that the waiting game can either end or continue whether we get recommended or not.

There you are, legallyproper! You found out via FPA that notifications were being sent out the following day, did you not? Any chance your FPA may be able to know when we're about to hear this time? Just wondering! I dont know exactly if that is accurate or not- i thought thst was the case, but Im not longer stressed enough to try and go back through last year's posts again.

Hmm I didn't realize that my husband and I could get notifications on different days. That could be interesting!

When you look at your application, you'll see that you'd be grouped into having already attained your Bachelors, masters, or phd. If you don't yet have the phd, then I guess you're in with the masters group as far as your application goes.

But I don't think that's what they were referring to in the webinar. I don't think it was referring to how things were necessarily grouped for evaluation, but more just grouped by general applicant type.... Because an at-large candidate could have received any of the three levels of education.

makes sense to me! thanks for the clarification :)

Its been great having this forum to keep up with! Just curious if there are any other Austria combination study grant/ETA applicants out there? Its such a unique program there's not a lot of info out on it- I am guessing we will hear back along with full grantees rather than the ETAs? Sooner the better hopefully!

So I am new here. Just in a panicked state about the upcoming announcements like everyone else I guess. Any tips on dealing with the last few days? And just in case, dealing with the rejection?

Much appreciated. 

It felt like just yesterday I was cruising through the posts and still figuring out my essays. Now, the time has come... and I flinch every time I open my email because I imagine the name "Fulbright" poping up.

Edited by kbui

It felt like just yesterday I was cruising through the posts and still figuring out my essays. Now, the time has come... and I flinch every time I open my email just in case the name "Fulbright" pops up.

Ditto that. I'll still compare my feelings with trying to win the lottery, when you fully realize that the odds are against you, but you just can't stop hoping that you'll win anyway!! If my husband would get a job offer soon, finding out about Fulbright wouldn't be as bad since we'd have a nice long term option that involves a salary. (Though I have a job so if it comes down to it we're still in a good place without even that. It'd just be nice!)

It shows that everyone found out in the evening, 7/7:30ish on last year's gradcafe posts...Anyone know if that was Eastern or Central time...?