Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

My routine in all of my classes today: *checks grad cafe* *checks email* *checks grad cafe* *checks email* *reloads email* *looks up at professor for less than a minute* Repeat...
I feel you. Luckily the class I TAed for today was VERY low maintenance. The professor had the class of fifty go around and do introductions... AGAIN. That was an hour well spent. I swear, if I hear another student say "I listen to all kinds of music and my hobby is hanging out," I think I'm going to punch myself in the face.

I feel you. Luckily the class I TAed for today was VERY low maintenance. The professor had the class of fifty go around and do introductions... AGAIN. That was an hour well spent. I swear, if I hear another student say "I listen to all kinds of music and my hobby is hanging out," I think I'm going to punch myself in the face.

My routine in all of my classes today:

*checks grad cafe*

*checks email*

*checks grad cafe*

*checks email*

*reloads email*

*looks up at professor for less than a minute*

Repeat...

I had to grade freshmen presentations for a class. Most showed up in their pjs, hadnt showered, and all of them talked over each other.  It was rather shocking.

Hello! :)

I received an email from my FPA yesterday about hearing back by Friday and have been checking my email obsessively since then.  Luckily, I stumbled upon this forum and realized that I'm not alone, phew!

Good luck to all of us!

(I applied for a full grant in New Zealand.) 

I had to grade freshmen presentations for a class. Most showed up in their pjs, hadnt showered, and all of them talked over each other.  It was rather shocking.
I once saw a student come to class without a shirt or shoes. He didn't appear to be homeless. I was baffled. I make an effort when I go to class- I iron a shirt, shower, do my hair and makeup, select a matching tote or satchel for the day... Is putting on appropriate classroom attire that hard for these kids? I'm a fashion historian, so maybe I'm just too nitpicky. I don't expect a runway show, just SOME effort. I'll settle for jeans, tees, and flip flops, but even that bar is too high for some, apparently. Rant over.

I once saw a student come to class without a shirt or shoes. He didn't appear to be homeless. I was baffled. I make an effort when I go to class- I iron a shirt, shower, do my hair and makeup, select a matching tote or satchel for the day... Is putting on appropriate classroom attire that hard for these kids? I'm a fashion historian, so maybe I'm just too nitpicky. I don't expect a runway show, just SOME effort. I'll settle for jeans, tees, and flip flops, but even that bar is too high for some, apparently. Rant over.

Okay, I will be honest. I did not dress up all the time in undergrad, especially since i play softball. I would sometimes come in sweat pants but presentation days I was dressed up. The worst part of my grading presentations was that the class start at 11 am. So they had time to shower, etc. I could understand 8 am being hard.

Okay, I will be honest. I did not dress up all the time in undergrad, especially since i play softball. I would sometimes come in sweat pants but presentation days I was dressed up. The worst part of my grading presentations was that the class start at 11 am. So they had time to shower, etc. I could understand 8 am being hard.

Heh. I'm with you. I get that a lot of people are much more fashionable than I am, but when I read "select a matching tote or satchel", I'm not going to lie, my eyes got REAL big.

Heh. I'm with you. I get that a lot of people are much more fashionable than I am, but when I read "select a matching tote or satchel", I'm not going to lie, my eyes got REAL big.

Yes, female mechanical engineer in undergrad. I didnt have to look that good. lol. i have a few purses I rotate through. I am lucky if I dont lose things due to all the projects I am working on in grad school.

Haha, like I said, I'm a fashion historian. I don't judge others on carrying a mismatched bag, though.

Not going to lie, I'm using a red and blue striped L.L. Bean tote today that completely clashes with my mint cardigan, but it was cold and rainy this morning and I didn't want to risk ruining my electronics or any of my leather bags.

I just re-read my previous posts and I think I might have come off as a little shallow and I'm really not. I just believe in putting your best foot forward because whether we like it or not, first impressions mean a lot in this world.

Haha, like I said, I'm a fashion historian. I don't judge others on carrying a mismatched bag, though.

Not going to lie, I'm using a red and blue striped L.L. Bean tote today that completely clashes with my mint cardigan, but it was cold and rainy this morning and I didn't want to risk ruining my electronics or any of my leather bags.

You are practical and fashionable!  What country are you applying to? ETA or full? If full, what is your project?

Wait. I didn't get one. Is that bad? I'm applying for a German ETA for the second time, btw.

I'm applying to Germany as well! Good luck! I haven't seen many of us on here.

I just re-read my previous posts and I think I might have come off as a little shallow and I'm really not. I just believe in putting your best foot forward because whether we like it or not, first impressions mean a lot in this world.

You didnt come across that way, I understood what you meant. Its really just about looking like you a) want to be there and B) care. 

You know, I've always wanted to be fashionable. I do try, gosh darn it. If I can't be fashionable, maybe I can at least find a friend who likes to pick out outfits for other people!! Lol, but yeah I have been guitly of rolling out of bed to class after staying up too late, but that didn't happen too often. And I normally managed to put on some regular pants (or at least some sweats!!), pull my  hair back, and wash my face!! I always scratched my head at the ones who showed up in PJS on a regular basis.

You are practical and fashionable!  What country are you applying to? ETA or full? If full, what is your project?

I'm applying to France for a full grant. My project centers on the sapeurs of Congo-Brazzaville, the elegant dandies of central Africa. My work attempts to provide a historicization of the movement as a way of shifting the dialogue away from trivializing its followers as over-consumers that try to mimic the French. Rather, their form of ornamentation and exhibitions of fashion are deeply political and have long historical roots that pre-date colonialism. Essentially, it's less about the labels and more about how these bright suits are a way of inserting their voices in discussions that consistently rejected their voices in the colony and post-colony. I'm planning on working in the archives in France and conducting interviews to create an urban history of Brazzaville as a way of contextualizing the rise of the movement and how sapeurs navigated official and unofficial avenues of progress in the French Congo.

Okay, I'm freaking out a tad.  I'm applying for a full grant to the UK, I 

submitted my Fulbright application in the fall without a formal letter of affiliation, everything else was perfect.  In the letter's place, however, I had attached a disclaimer stating that the Fulbright webinar told me to use my letter of acceptance to King's College London as my letter of affiliation.  So, I told them what they told me, and because KCL's decision date is later than the Fulbright's, and because my main contact at KCL, refused to write a letter before I got accepted, I added on the disclaimer that I would contact them as soon as a decision was made.
   However, once I got accepted into KCL, the IIE (organization that handles Fulbright) told me conflicting information regarding mt submission of the letter after the Fulbright's due date.  They said that I was to upload a statement saying that KCL "supports" me, regardless if I got accepted or not.  Even more confusing was the way their advisers told me that I needed *a* letter--it was very ambiguous.  It left me thinking: should I have written my *own* letter of affiliation--UGH!!
  In any case, both advisers told me that should my application be recommended, I will be able to forward this letter that I now have.  

Has anyone heard of a similar situation, because other than the missing letter of affiliation, my application is.. immaculate.  

No, it was for the travel website, TripAdvisor. Not affiliated with the Fulbright.

LOL, I know, I was just kidding. Man, at this point, if my toast had popped out of the toaster this morning with anything resembling the German flag, I probably would have taken it as a good omen. oh good, some work came in. Something to distract me with!!

LOL, I know, I was just kidding. Man, at this point, if my toast had popped out of the toaster this morning with anything resembling the German flag, I probably would have taken it as a good omen. oh good, some work came in. Something to distract me with!!

I feel like a bit of a nerd now. The tension's a little high, isn't it? I can't even sense sarcasm.