Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I had a dream 2 weeks ago that I got my Fulbright "P" email and was hyped...calling everyone, planning to party.....then my alarm went off at 6:30am and the first thing I said, out loud, was "Damn! that was a dream?!?!?! :blink:"

Maybe tomorrow is the day everyone....

The mantra I repeat to myself every night.

For real, I don't even care if it's me or not, I just want SOMEBODY to find out SOMETHING!!!!!!!!

I really don't think I can go through another month of this. Not that I have a choice :)

Edited by there'sanappforthat

So I heard back today, selected for an ETA grant to Colombia for next year.

Woohoo! Congratulations!

and thanks for sharing, at least they haven't forgotten us.  i wish they would turn the hose on though. i am sick of this trickle...

Thanks, guys.  I got an e-mail at around 5:00 pm CST.

Ahhh great, so much for a pattern. There's no predictability ahh! I struggle to be productive with this news looming.

edit: speaking of patterns, is it just coincidence that a lot of south american countries are hearing? They are really on top of their game.

Edited by vPersie

Ahhh great, so much for a pattern. There's no predictability ahh! I struggle to be productive with this news looming.

edit: speaking of patterns, is it just coincidence that a lot of south american countries are hearing? They are really on top of their game.

Yeah I think it's a coincidence. I believe the IIE is the rate limiting step for a lot of countries. I know that Norway sent its rankings in at the end of January (that's what they told my proposed mentor, at least).

Yeah I think it's a coincidence. I believe the IIE is the rate limiting step for a lot of countries. I know that Norway sent its rankings in at the end of January (that's what they told my proposed mentor, at least).

So do the countries talk to our proposed advisors in determining selection?  Would our proposed advisors know anything?  I'm thinking about sending mine an email if thats the case.  Its not just that I'm super curious and want to know, but I need to make some decisions regarding this next coming year and this wait is really making things difficult!

Feeling pretty low.  Got my email that i am an alternate for an art position teacher exchange in the UK.  :-(

How does the alternate thing work? They mentioned something about funding....but is there any hope left?  

So do the countries talk to our proposed advisors in determining selection?  Would our proposed advisors know anything?  I'm thinking about sending mine an email if thats the case.  Its not just that I'm super curious and want to know, but I need to make some decisions regarding this next coming year and this wait is really making things difficult!

I doubt it. I'm great friends with my advisor and I know he'd contact me if he was contacted by anything concerning Fulbright.

Feeling pretty low.  Got my email that i am an alternate for an art position teacher exchange in the UK.  :-(

How does the alternate thing work? They mentioned something about funding....but is there any hope left?  

Sorry to hear that but at least you got alternate! There's still hope. Hopefully someone else can weigh in too but as far as I know, you could be notified anytime between now and a few months after the typical start date that a "principle" person turned down their grant and you are promoted to "principle." That's for full research grants at least. I would contact IIE if I were you. Good luck!

keep your head up, I'm not sure myself-maybe your FPA can give you the specifics? I'm sure someone in here knows as well....sorry again

FOILED AGAIN!!!!

haha, no but awesome!

When you asked how to set an email alert, I was tempted to say.. There's an app for that! :P

What sound did you choose? I had to choose "suspense" ... haha

*hugs* Hang in there! That's tough!! You never know though, you could still end up going! The wait will be no fun, though. :(

When you asked how to set an email alert, I was tempted to say.. There's an app for that! :P

What sound did you choose? I had to choose "suspense" ... haha

LOL. Yeah, there is an app for everything. I'm not even sure why I picked that username. For some reason, that phrase always got stuck in my head from those dumb commercials. And that was the first thing that came to mind.

I used "Update" as my alert. I'm still not convinced I set the alert up properly, though :)

So do the countries talk to our proposed advisors in determining selection? Would our proposed advisors know anything? I'm thinking about sending mine an email if thats the case. Its not just that I'm super curious and want to know, but I need to make some decisions regarding this next coming year and this wait is really making things difficult!

My proposed mentor got an email from the binational board asking about housing in the city, feasibility of my project, etc. That's actually how I found out I was a finalist. In terms of finding out whether I'm selected, I'm sure he won't know until I do.

Again, this was the US Norway binational board. The binational boards are somewhat autonomous. Norway is a country with a small number of grants and a lot of resources... they may be the exception, not the rule.

Hey, an alternate is far better than outright rejection! I heard there's a fairly high (30%ish?) chance of alternates getting in- it just takes a lot longer to hear from them.

Anybody know if full grants will be released around the same time/are all Uk things related? I'm panicking I didn't hear anything now.....

totally throwing off the timing but.......OFFICIALLY A FULBRIGHTER TO AUSTRIA!!!!!

got the e-mail at 10:30am EST from the program coordinater of Austrian-American Educational Commission.

Edited by jlw1170

totally throwing off the timing but.......OFFICIALLY A FULBRIGHTER TO AUSTRIA!!!!!

got the e-mail at 10:30am EST from the program coordinater of Austrian-American Educational Commission.

Congrats but I am totally flipping out now waaaaah. We're they the people who recommended you or a whole new email?

Congrats again!!