Cyclone88

So, I wrote everyone a poem. lol ;-)

O Fulbright, dear William,

why have you forsaken me?

Here I wait, and my email is like a swallowed bait

on purpose laid to make me mad.

Mad, in pursuit, and in possession so,

Had, having, and in quest to have extreme,

a bliss in proof, but proved a very woe.

Before, a joy proposed, behind a dream.

All this the world well knows, yet none knows well

To shun the heaven that leads men (and women) to this hell.

Okay, so its mostly Shakespeare, the sonnet I memorized just took over, and I was surprised how part of it fit the email addiction. It ended a little darker than I expected, I planned to write a satire of the waiting experience, so it's more of a melo-dramatic satire, but I wanted to share!

Okay, so its mostly Shakespeare, the sonnet I memorized just took over, and I was surprised how part of it fit the email addiction. It ended a little darker than I expected, I planned to write a satire of the waiting experience, so it's more of a melo-dramatic satire, but I wanted to share!

LOL! Sounds spot on.

Here are two blogs from Germany ETAs.... As you can tell, I too have been quite bored waiting!

http://thechangingevergreen.blogspot.com/2010/10/welcome-to-wernigerode.html

http://amarettesabenteuer.wordpress.com/2012/07/

I've exchanged emails with Amarette from the second blog and she's very friendly and helpful if any of you Germany ETAers want someone to bug with questions. :)

**snaps fingers**

so i'm on twitter and have saved the search "Fulbright" and it updates whenever there is "Fulbright" in a tweet (kinda creepy-but serves the purpose) and I saw that Chile has informed their US scholars. It drives you crazy, but at least it shows that many other people are in a similar boat of waiting, nervousness and general turmoil...but things are getting better I guess...

so i'm on twitter and have saved the search "Fulbright" and it updates whenever there is "Fulbright" in a tweet (kinda creepy-but serves the purpose) and I saw that Chile has informed their US scholars. It drives you crazy, but at least it shows that many other people are in a similar boat of waiting, nervousness and general turmoil...but things are getting better I guess...

Genius!

I must not be searching right, all the results I'm getting are from about 4 days ago.

Oh Chile and the rest of South America (that means you, Peru, Colombia, etc...), why must you tease the other Western Hemisphere sub-regions with your uncharacteristically early notifications? In all seriousness, however: jonnyg, I hope your news from Chile was good news.

For those of you who are applying to countries that do not have designated numbers of awards - it looks like only those with allotted spaces have been notified. Bad news for us? Could we be the ones absorbing the sequestration budget cuts? Thoughts?

Last thing: Any Caribbean/Central America lurkers out there? We're typically notified together (with the exception of last year - Caribbean was a day ahead of CA). We're considered one sub-region and we have the same Program Officer... We're not like the other areas (i.e. Germany, UK, Venezuela, etc...) who get their notifications on a nation-specific basis. I can only assume it's because our countries are so small....

For those of you who are applying to countries that do not have designated numbers of awards - it looks like only those with allotted spaces have been notified. Bad news for us? Could we be the ones absorbing the sequestration budget cuts? Thoughts?

I thought every country had a designated number of awards . . . Can you enlighten me--where are you finding the list that has designated and non-designated awards/countries?

Thanks.

I thought every country had a designated number of awards . . . Can you enlighten me--where are you finding the list that has designated and non-designated awards/countries?

Thanks.

Just ETAs... Not full grants. Say for example, there is only one full grant applicant to a given country and for whatever reason, the country doesn't like the project...they absolutely reserve the right to refuse it (I learned this at IIE's application seminar for 2012-2013). There just won't be a full funded person that year :-(

The info I shared before is from Fulbright's website.

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics

EDIT: I just realized that the footnote says that award numbers are "projected and subject to change." But still - there is a trend among the notifications. Somebody quickly tell me I'm being overly obsessive and irrational. Please.

Edited by rtlc06

Lol, ever since I learned that Georgia is a country, I always take an extra second to consider if it would be the state or the country. Don't worry, I figure you're from the state. I do the same step when my South American friends talk about guerillas. I don't want to offend them by thinking they must automatically be talking about guerillas, so I take a second to consider if they might actually be talking about gorillas.

Hahahah. Oh man. This makes me think about a funny story about my little brother. He was in 7th or 8th grade, and his class was playing some kind of game where they had to list countries that started with a specific letter. He says Georgia (this was right around the time there was a lot of unrest in Georgia, too, so it was in the news EVERY DAY) and his teacher (a health teacher....) laughs at him and says Georgia isn't a country, it's a state. He and his friend started insisting Georgia is a country, but she wouldn't beleive them. Pretty sad.

NO! Ha, yes, I am probably one of the few people in this country (US) who automatically thinks of the country first, and the state second when someone says Georgia. 

Edited by Porshyen

Heyy!! I did my undergrad at UC Berkeley! ABSOLUTELY loved it! Let me know if you need/want any tips on the area!  Would love to return vicariously through you :)

Sounds amazing! I've got tons of questions. I just do not want to rush things right now building those dreamy castles about Berkeley, before I get final approval. It's not that I am superstitious, I fear to be disappointed. Going to UC Berkeley is unbelievable! When my Professor invited me there I felt like a teen girl who got a letter from Justin Bieber. Her books were on my night stand when I started doing my postgraduate course here somewhere in the region which the recent meteor hit. Thank you. I definitely will ask about everything as soon as I break through.

Edited by olgagrigus

Just ETAs... Not full grants. Say for example, there is only one full grant applicant to a given country and for whatever reason, the country doesn't like the project...they absolutely reserve the right to refuse it (I learned this at IIE's application seminar for 2012-2013). There just won't be a full funded person that year :-(

The info I shared before is from Fulbright's website.

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics

EDIT: I just realized that the footnote says that award numbers are "projected and subject to change." But still - there is a trend among the notifications. Somebody quickly tell me I'm being overly obsessive and irrational. Please.

You are being overly obsessive and irrational. Your welcome. ;-). No, seriously though, you could be right, you could be wrong, but it's still out of your control. Chammomile tea might be great for you right now. I hope it works out!

Oh Chile and the rest of South America (that means you, Peru, Colombia, etc...), why must you tease the other Western Hemisphere sub-regions with your uncharacteristically early notifications? In all seriousness, however: jonnyg, I hope your news from Chile was good news.

Last thing: Any Caribbean/Central America lurkers out there? We're typically notified together (with the exception of last year - Caribbean was a day ahead of CA). We're considered one sub-region and we have the same Program Officer... We're not like the other areas (i.e. Germany, UK, Venezuela, etc...) who get their notifications on a nation-specific basis. I can only assume it's because our countries are so small....

Hi there, Caribbean lurker here. I applied for a full grant to Barbados. I saw that last year the Caribbean applicants didn't find out until May-- I'm really hoping that it's sooner this year!

Hi there, Caribbean lurker here. I applied for a full grant to Barbados. I saw that last year the Caribbean applicants didn't find out until May-- I'm really hoping that it's sooner this year!

Yay Caribbean applicants! It's true... last year we didn't find out until May 9th. I heard that the hold up was with the FSB, not the countries, though... Hopefully it'll be different this time around.

Hey, can anyone recommend any blogs of current or past ETA recipients? I would love to read some! I have a feeling it's going to be a slow day in the office, today!

My blog (Austria): http://livainaustria.blogspot.com (Lots more Austria TA blogs in the blogroll, as well as other countries, not all TAs). I used to write a lot more about the teaching/bureaucracy/etc. in the beginning and now it's other things too.