Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I truly wish everyone the best. 

To you as well!

edit: Is there a general consensus that full research grants typically hear back the 3rd thursday in January? Or was that just a past-two-years type of deal?

Edited by vPersie

To you as well!

edit: Is there a general consensus that full research grants typically hear back the 3rd thursday in January? Or was that just a past-two-years type of deal?

I'm guessing full grant finalists will be informed Thursday. Either way, we will find out next week. 

Hi All,

Quick question. I'm leaving to go abroad Saturday, and am worried about preparing anything needed if I am awarded recommended status. 

I'm applying for Malaysia (full grant). Does anyone know if all countries require you to mail transcripts, and, if so, whether they need just you main university transcripts or also ones for study abroad or short courses?

Any advice on this? I hear the vast majority of countries don't do interviews, so I'm assuming I won't have to worry about that.

Thanks!

Just wanted to thank you guys for answering my question about dependents a few pages back (I made the mistake of listing my emergency contact's dependents (i.e. my mom's) instead of my own info). I ended up calling and found out that they don't consider that information at this point in the process - called twice to get different opinions and both times was reassured that "the committee doesn't even look at that part of the application at this stage." Was also informed that we'll hear back by mid-January "for sure"...the woman seemed pretty certain about it.

Regarding applicants where an interview is required: What's the point in hearing whether or not you've been recommended if you don't even receive an interview? I'm sure countries have already decided who they wish to interview. I'm curious to know if it'd be better to just get out-right rejected next week rather than get a "you've been recommended" email, but a couple days later receive no interview invite.

Edited by ambitiousmind07

I'm guessing full grant finalists will be informed Thursday. Either way, we will find out next week. 

I really hope we are informed next week. I emailed my campus representative last week and she said definitely by the last day of January. I don't think I can wait that long!!! I'm trying not to drive myself mad, but it's getting down to the wire, how can I not!

Just wanted to thank you guys for answering my question about dependents a few pages back (I made the mistake of listing my emergency contact's dependents (i.e. my mom's) instead of my own info). Was also informed that we'll hear back by mid-January "for sure"...the woman seemed pretty certain about it.

Awesome! Thanks ambitiousmind07! The end is in sight! I'll be glad to know finally- even if its a negative response, at least I'll be able to focus better on pursuing other paths.

I don't know how I'm going to handle these next couple of weeks. I've placed too much importance, status, and honor onto the Fulbright that I feel like I'll be devastated if anything but good news comes my way. Any fellow applicants in the same situation?

MY LIFE. I NEED A TIME MACHINE

I don't know how I'm going to handle these next couple of weeks. I've placed too much importance, status, and honor onto the Fulbright that I feel like I'll be devastated if anything but good news comes my way. Any fellow applicants in the same situation?

I agree, the wait is hard.  I am waiting to hear back from both Fulbright and CLS.  After all the horrible personal things that have happened recently, I would really like something to turn out well.  I am hoping for the best but bracing for the worst.  Best of luck to all of you out there. 

I agree, the wait is hard.  I am waiting to hear back from both Fulbright and CLS.  After all the horrible personal things that have happened recently, I would really like something to turn out well.  I am hoping for the best but bracing for the worst.  Best of luck to all of you out there. 

Sorry to hear some things haven't been going your way lately! I hope that changes when you hear from Fulbright/CLS

Hi everyone! So it seems like the full grants find out next Thursday; does anyone know if this is true for ETA applicants as well? 

Good luck!! Can't wait to finally know my status on this.

Hi! New to the forum, but long time lurker--hoping for the results to come thursday Jan. 17th. I come baring gifts, a little information on how the selection committee works from a fulbright newsletter directed at advisors.

INSIGHTS FROM OBSERVING A FULBRIGHT NATIONAL SCREENING COMMITTEE

by Christina M. McIntyre, Associate Director, University Honors, Fulbright Program Adviser, Virginia Tech

Christina M. McIntyre, Associate Director, University Honors, Fulbright Program Adviser, Virginia Tech  

This is my account of observing a National Screening Committee (NSC) for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  First off, I’d highly encourage FPAs to observe an NSC if you haven’t done so before.  I was immediately impressed with the effort, energy and concern that the committee members took both in preparations for the meeting and the day long discussion to select the finalists.

The committee was comprised of three university faculty who had research and travel experience to the country or region being reviewed, and a Fulbright staff member from the Institute of International Education (IIE) facilitated the meeting.  The day started at 9:00 a.m. with a verbal confirmation of the committee scores for all of the candidates.  While these scores had been entered online, this step was a good check to confirm scores and catch any errors.  An Excel spreadsheet was generated with the scores tallied.  For example: 1.5 + 2.0 + 2.5 = 6.0; the lower the score, the better.

The committee proceeded to discuss the candidates who had large differences in their scores among committee members (e.g., 1.5, 2.0 and 3.5).  Some of these discussions resulted in committee members adjusting their individual scores.  These discussions took the entire morning.  At one point, I was excused from the room because a candidate from my university was being discussed.  I was impressed with the committee’s acknowledgement of their bias and their attempt not to let their individual disciplines or interests influence their decisions.

The charge for the afternoon was to identify ten candidates whose applications would be sent on to a committee in the country to which the candidates had applied.  In addition, these selected candidates were to be ranked (1 – 10).  The first two selected candidates, ranked #1 and #2, were straightforward based on scores.   Candidates ranked #3 - #6 all had a tally score of 5.0 and the committee discussed these candidates to sort them into ranked order.  The majority of the afternoon was spent selecting the final four candidates ranked #7 - #10.  There were twelve candidates with the same score of 5.5 and only four spots available.  The committee identified candidates who had been previously discussed that morning and focused their conversation on those who had not yet been discussed.  The aim was to eliminate candidates based on identifying weaknesses, and the feasibility of their proposal and background.  When one approach was exhausted, they would adopt another tactic.  At times, a committee member advocated for a candidate he or she felt strongly should be put forward.  This resulted in whittling it down to four candidates for two spots.  The committee looked at the diversity of the already selected eight candidates (discipline, U.S. geography and the country/region being discussed; institutions and ethnic/racial diversity).  This final step helped to decide the last two finalists.  The committee felt that all ten individuals and projects were deserving of a Fulbright grant.  They also expressed that if they had six more available spots, that they would have easily been filled.

I would like to acknowledge the time and effort of those who serve on the National Screening Committees.  While their travel, meals and lodging are covered, they are not compensated in any other way.  I acknowledge that the dynamics of each committee will be unique, and this account should not be considered globally representative.  There is great value in observing a National Screening Committee.  I applaud IIE for their efforts to make the National Screening Committee selection process as transparent as possible.

A friend of mine just posted that she was rejected from a Fulbright fellowship on Facebook. I assumed we would not hear until later in January. Is anyone else getting news???

Needless to say, I'm nervous now. 

EDIT: False alarm, it was a prank that I miscomprehended. Whoops. 

Edited by moregraceful

A friend of mine just posted that she was rejected from a Fulbright fellowship on Facebook. I assumed we would not hear until later in January. Is anyone else getting news???

Wow. I'm not sure. I checked my email earlier... did she really find out this soon?

Ditto that!

Do you know the specific one she was applying for and how she found out...? Was it by email from the commission or her FPA...?

I haven't gotten anything yet.... I'll be sure to let everyone know one way or the other.

Hi! New to the forum, but long time lurker--hoping for the results to come thursday Jan. 17th. I come baring gifts, a little information on how the selection committee works from a fulbright newsletter directed at advisors.

INSIGHTS FROM OBSERVING A FULBRIGHT NATIONAL SCREENING COMMITTEE

by Christina M. McIntyre, Associate Director, University Honors, Fulbright Program Adviser, Virginia Tech

Christina M. McIntyre, Associate Director, University Honors, Fulbright Program Adviser, Virginia Tech  

This is my account of observing a National Screening Committee (NSC) for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  First off, I’d highly encourage FPAs to observe an NSC if you haven’t done so before.  I was immediately impressed with the effort, energy and concern that the committee members took both in preparations for the meeting and the day long discussion to select the finalists.

The committee was comprised of three university faculty who had research and travel experience to the country or region being reviewed, and a Fulbright staff member from the Institute of International Education (IIE) facilitated the meeting.  The day started at 9:00 a.m. with a verbal confirmation of the committee scores for all of the candidates.  While these scores had been entered online, this step was a good check to confirm scores and catch any errors.  An Excel spreadsheet was generated with the scores tallied.  For example: 1.5 + 2.0 + 2.5 = 6.0; the lower the score, the better.

The committee proceeded to discuss the candidates who had large differences in their scores among committee members (e.g., 1.5, 2.0 and 3.5).  Some of these discussions resulted in committee members adjusting their individual scores.  These discussions took the entire morning.  At one point, I was excused from the room because a candidate from my university was being discussed.  I was impressed with the committee’s acknowledgement of their bias and their attempt not to let their individual disciplines or interests influence their decisions.

The charge for the afternoon was to identify ten candidates whose applications would be sent on to a committee in the country to which the candidates had applied.  In addition, these selected candidates were to be ranked (1 – 10).  The first two selected candidates, ranked #1 and #2, were straightforward based on scores.   Candidates ranked #3 - #6 all had a tally score of 5.0 and the committee discussed these candidates to sort them into ranked order.  The majority of the afternoon was spent selecting the final four candidates ranked #7 - #10.  There were twelve candidates with the same score of 5.5 and only four spots available.  The committee identified candidates who had been previously discussed that morning and focused their conversation on those who had not yet been discussed.  The aim was to eliminate candidates based on identifying weaknesses, and the feasibility of their proposal and background.  When one approach was exhausted, they would adopt another tactic.  At times, a committee member advocated for a candidate he or she felt strongly should be put forward.  This resulted in whittling it down to four candidates for two spots.  The committee looked at the diversity of the already selected eight candidates (discipline, U.S. geography and the country/region being discussed; institutions and ethnic/racial diversity).  This final step helped to decide the last two finalists.  The committee felt that all ten individuals and projects were deserving of a Fulbright grant.  They also expressed that if they had six more available spots, that they would have easily been filled.

I would like to acknowledge the time and effort of those who serve on the National Screening Committees.  While their travel, meals and lodging are covered, they are not compensated in any other way.  I acknowledge that the dynamics of each committee will be unique, and this account should not be considered globally representative.  There is great value in observing a National Screening Committee.  I applaud IIE for their efforts to make the National Screening Committee selection process as transparent as possible.

This is all well and good, but I'd be upset if the line in there regarding "ethnic/racial diversity" is true, considering the application explicitly stated that section, the one including the demographic information, would not even be given to the selection committee (that it was for internal use only)--let alone used in the decision making process. If that account is accurate, it's very unpleasant to hear there is discrimination in the selection process.

I can also relate to the feelings of anxiety over this grant. Pursuing other opportunities at the same time, exercising, reading and spending time with friends has helped me somewhat.

However... reading that results would come out next THURSDAY made me jump a little. I thought first round results weren't coming until January 31? What is the source of the earlier notification date?

kbui, I read your blog a little since although I am applying to China for Fulbright, one of my alternate opportunities is in Taiwan and I am interested in learning about the experiences of others. In my admittedly unqualified opinion, you really embody the spirit of the Fulbright program and I hope you are able to fulfill your goal of being an ETA :)

Ruluo, This is purely an educated guess, but...  I assume that the reviewers do not see the demographic information sheet. Nonetheless, applicants from under-represented ethnic groups might, for example, bring up their ethnicity when telling an anecdote about dealing with cultural differences in their statement of purpose and it could be a plus if it shows cultural adaptability. However, I suspect the real factor is geographic diversity, which is explicitly stated as a preference factor on the Fulbright website:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/factors-in-selection

I just saw a post asking about interviews. I marked myself as "Interview - Yes" because I had an on-campus interview with my university back in October. I haven't had an interview with anyone from IIE/Fulbright. Hope there wasn't any confusion.

Edited by lls11

@ Ruluo

I didn't notice that! 

Seems to be used as one factor, among many factors (including geographic distribution, like in the link @lls1 posted) in the application process. This is also from the state department website: 

"The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State strives to ensure that all programs conducted under its mandate reflect the diversity of the intended audiences. The Bureau aggressively seeks and actively encourages the involvement of U.S. and international participants from traditionally under-represented audiences in all its grants, programs and other activities. These audiences include, but are not limited to women, persons belonging to racial and ethnic minorities, persons living in underserved geographic locations, persons belonging to religious minorities, persons of lower socio-economic status and persons with disabilities. We seek fairness, equity and inclusion."

Being from Kansas, or something, may be a factor, just as being from a traditionally under-represented group. It seems like it's all weighed. 

This is all well and good, but I'd be upset if the line in there regarding "ethnic/racial diversity" is true, considering the application explicitly stated that section, the one including the demographic information, would not even be given to the selection committee (that it was for internal use only)--let alone used in the decision making process. If that account is accurate, it's very unpleasant to hear there is discrimination in the selection process.

With this being said,I believe that considering that the group of students be ethnically diverse is the opposite of discrimination. Several academic scholarships consider this when awarding students. Diversity is important, especially when the US is attempting to represent equality and cultural understanding/influence worldwide. 

With this being said,I believe that considering that the group of students be ethnically diverse is the opposite of discrimination. Several academic scholarships consider this when awarding students. Diversity is important, especially when the US is attempting to represent equality and cultural understanding/influence worldwide. 

I agree with Books2readme's statement. It's important to recognize that there is a huge imbalance in opportunities in our great nation, and diversity needs to emphasized in order to have a more equal American society.

Sorry guys, false alarm. It was a prank that I miscomprehended. Just because I'm applying for a Fulbright does not mean I'm that bright all the time...

Ha- no problem! My reaction was interesting to me: though I want the wait to be over, I was so afraid to finally find out! But apparently we are almost there anyway.

Thanks for that info, Hopefulforthefulbright. That was very interesting.

Pmc64, I think that anyone applying for the fulbright student program finds out on the same day (full, eta, masters program). I am pretty sure I remember reading that some emails got lost in cyberspace last year, but I think the intention is for everyone to know at the same time...

Regarding getting a rejection, I think my husband and I have built up a minor tolerance to it. He's in the arts, and there's always rejection involved in that- sending things in to galleries only to get a rejection letter, for instance. We recently were hoping for a pretty awesome job overseas that I thought was in the bag, so when we found out it was a no, I was both surprised and disappointed. I've been making sure to have realistic expectations this time, which is that there are many well qualified applicants besides us. As Porshyen said, hoping for the best, bracing for the worst!

Hi all,

I too am anxiously awaiting to hear about the first round of selections and want to offer what little information I've been able to gather. I emailed my FPA this week, and he said that the emails are usually sent out to everyone over a span of 2-3 days (not at all the same instant). While some years notifications have been sent out around the 19th-20th, usually on a Thursday or Friday (which would make next Thursday or Friday seem possible), he cautioned that some years they haven't released the news until the 31st, the last possible day. So, it seems reasonable to get our hopes up for the end of next week, though we probably shouldn't bank on it.

Thanks also to everyone who has posted on here. I just found this forum yesterday, and it's been really nice to be reminded that I'm not the only one feeling the agony of the wait.

I agree with Books2readme's statement. It's important to recognize that there is a huge imbalance in opportunities in our great nation, and diversity needs to emphasized in order to have a more equal American society.

That was well-stated, kbui.

I really hope we are informed next week. I emailed my campus representative last week and she said definitely by the last day of January. I don't think I can wait that long!!! I'm trying not to drive myself mad, but it's getting down to the wire, how can I not!

My campus adviser doesn't seem to be in "the know." I wish my school was more involved in the whole process so I could've gotten some inside details.