Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I'm applying to France for a full grant. My project centers on the sapeurs of Congo-Brazzaville, the elegant dandies of central Africa. My work attempts to provide a historicization of the movement as a way of shifting the dialogue away from trivializing its followers as over-consumers that try to mimic the French. Rather, their form of ornamentation and exhibitions of fashion are deeply political and have long historical roots that pre-date colonialism. Essentially, it's less about the labels and more about how these bright suits are a way of inserting their voices in discussions that consistently rejected their voices in the colony and post-colony. I'm planning on working in the archives in France and conducting interviews to create an urban history of Brazzaville as a way of contextualizing the rise of the movement and how sapeurs navigated official and unofficial avenues of progress in the French Congo.

Wow, that is really cool. So its a fashion meets history context? So fashion choices were a way to have their voice heard? Very interesting, not sure I am completely understanding though. Its funny, I get what all the words mean, but putting them together I am lost. I figure we all have very different research that we are passionate about.  

I'm applying to France for a full grant. My project centers on the sapeurs of Congo-Brazzaville, the elegant dandies of central Africa. My work attempts to provide a historicization of the movement as a way of shifting the dialogue away from trivializing its followers as over-consumers that try to mimic the French. Rather, their form of ornamentation and exhibitions of fashion are deeply political and have long historical roots that pre-date colonialism. Essentially, it's less about the labels and more about how these bright suits are a way of inserting their voices in discussions that consistently rejected their voices in the colony and post-colony. I'm planning on working in the archives in France and conducting interviews to create an urban history of Brazzaville as a way of contextualizing the rise of the movement and how sapeurs navigated official and unofficial avenues of progress in the French Congo.

Wow, that sounds pretty cool. I like how well it ties to your degree. Of course, I'm applying for an ETA, so I only have to have a side project, which is fairly different, and doesn't take as much planning. I really tried to tie it to my career goals and interests.

I want to go back to school for a masters in Speech Pathology and work in a schools system. I have recently become involved in hippotherapy, which provides therapy for children with learning or developmental disabilities while on horseback. I've always been an avid horse person, so when I found out about this therapy, I was really excited. This type of therapy utilizes Speech, Physical, and occupational therapists. I also recently found out that it started in Germany, which is a happy coincidence since that is where I wanted to go anyway. Originally, my side project was just to work with a Speech Pathologist in the German schools system as my side project (I still plan on trying to do that), but my FPA suggested my side project be a little more humanitarian/ community service oriented. I hope that volunteering with a therepeutic riding center and learning in the country that founded the program will turn out to be a good project. Here's hoping!

The tension was at 10 this morning.... it is now up to 11!

Even though I am excited and anxious, I usually somehow manage  to curb my emotions until, like, the very moment I've been anticipating arrives. For example, even as a little kid, I didn't get REALLY excited about going to Disney World until the day we were actually leaving.

I tell myself I do this as a defense mechanism, so if something goes wrong, I don't end up getting too disapointed. All bets are off though, I will be hella disappointed if I don't make it. :)

So out of curiosity, are most of you still in school, whether it be undergrad or grad school?

I'm just sitting here at work, twiddling my thumbs, slowly going crazy. We have been so slow, and I can't decide if that is good or bad. I'd rather stay busy, but I'm not sure that I could stay focused.

Ugh, i'm stuck at work too. Waiting to go on lunch. I probably have the LOWEST productivity rate of the day.

I just finished grad school in December! Schools out forever for me! And you?

So out of curiosity, are most of you still in school, whether it be undergrad or grad school?

I'm just sitting here at work, twiddling my thumbs, slowly going crazy. We have been so slow, and I can't decide if that is good or bad. I'd rather stay busy, but I'm not sure that I could stay focused.

I'm in my third year of a doctoral program. I'm trying to write a comps essay, but needless to say, I'm a little bit distracted.

Ugh, i'm stuck at work too. Waiting to go on lunch. I probably have the LOWEST productivity rate of the day.

I just finished grad school in December! Schools out forever for me! And you?

I graduated from undergrad in 09 (oh my god..).

I would like to go to grad school eventually, but right now, I'm just working, trying to save some money.

It took me forever to find a decent job though.

Phew- 85 people. I'm counting down to 6/6:30 (eastern) and hoping its here then. But that's not stopping me from refreshing my email every other minute either.

I'm a teacher of French. Graduated undergrad '08. Husband just finished his MFA this summer and is an adjunct professor.

Edited by Here'sHopin'!

Phew- 85 people. I'm counting down to 6/6:30 (eastern) and hoping its here then. But that's not stopping me from refreshing my email every other minute either.

I'm a teacher of French. Graduated undergrad '08. Husband just finished his MFA this summer and is an adjunct professor.

Will your husband go with you?

I have been with my S0 for 7.5 years.. but still not ring :) I wish he could come with me if I get it..

I am finishing up my undergrad degree this spring. Hopefully, I will be teaching English abroad for a year or two before I either go to grad school or enter a career.  That's the plan, anyway.  We'll see tomorrow (or maybe even today) if that plan will bear any fruit.  I am crossing my fingers, hoping for the best, and planning for the worst.  :) 

I'm sitting at work as well. This has got to be the worst day ever for a desk job...

I have been with my S0 for 7.5 years.. but still not ring :) I wish he could come with me if I get it..

I'm married as well (first anniversary coming up in a few months!). That was a big discussion for us. He is at a very significant point in his career and I knew that leaving his position would be a difficult decision, but I wasn't going to make him do it. He also had no desire to keep me from applying for Fulbright. That said, we decided against him coming. Plus the stipend wasn't a whole lot for a dependent. Luckily we have spent months apart before, and have managed to keep up our strong communication skills!

German ETA applicant here. Stressing so much right now. So is my husband since he will be coming with me. To be honest I wasn't freakinf out until I knew it was going to come by tomorrow. When I thought I had till the end of January it wasn't bothering me as much but now I can't stop checking my email!!!!

I'm teaching all day tomorrow (German 102) so at least I'll be kept busy lesson planning and teaching.

Wish I had an idea of what my chances are.

I was an alternate last year, told the SO, I am applying again. He was not happy, but still gave me a ring. He will not be coming with me though. Gotta make decisions for you, at least that is what I tell myself.

Yeah. Him and my 1 year old. And if he gets it, I and my son will tag along with him! No extra $$ for our programs, but it's worth it.. If I get it, we'll go to Luxembourg, and my son could learn French (or German or Luxembourgish) at an early age.

And maybe if you get it he'll realize if he liked it then he shoulda put a ring on it. Oh oh oh...

Haha.. Getting a little crazy here waiting.

But for real, I'm sure he's a great guy! Good luck to you! (With fulbright and the ring!) ;)

Edited by Here'sHopin'!

I was an alternate last year, told the SO, I am applying again. He was not happy, but still gave me a ring. He will not be coming with me though. Gotta make decisions for you, at least that is what I tell myself.

haha! We are in similar boats! Mine was not thrilled either, so tomorrow, one of us will be elated and the other disappointed! Makes me feel a little bad, but yeah, I agree with you. Unless his dream is to become a prowrestler or something equally ridiculous, I will let him follow his heart too :)

Yeah. Him and my 1 year old. And if he gets it, I and my son will tag along with him! No extra $$ for our programs, but it's worth it.. If I get it, we'll go to Luxembourg, and my son could learn French (or German or Luxembourgish) at an early age.

And maybe if you get it he'll realize if he liked it then he shoulda put a ring on it. Oh oh oh...

But for real, I'm sure he's a great guy! Good luck to you! (With fulbright and the ring!) ;)

That's awesome! That would be such a cool experience for your family, it's just too bad the little 'un will be too young to really remember it.

As for the ring.. I had kind of been discouraging it for a while, even though I knew it was inevitable. Commitment phobia, I guess. Now I'm getting to the point where I'm just like.. this is silly. Let's tie the knot already! :)

What happens if you both get it?

haha! We are in similar boats! Mine was not thrilled either, so tomorrow, one of us will be elated and the other disappointed! Makes me feel a little bad, but yeah, I agree with you. Unless his dream is to become a prowrestler or something equally ridiculous, I will let him follow his heart too :)

My husband is on board to an extent. He's planning on taking off as much time as possible to accompany my son and me, but it looks like it'll just be four months. We are not quite sure what we will do for the other two months. Needless to say, there's a little bit of apprehension in our household.