Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I'm a bit confused about this interview talk, do only specific programs in specific countries do post recommendation interviews? I've been recommended at-large for an ETA in Turkey and I can't find anything that suggests that all ETAs, or any for that matter, get interviewed outside of if your university required an interview. Anyone one know or is also a bit worried that they're missing something?  

Got an e-mail from my FPA a couple days ago saying the IIE sent all FPA's a heads-up e-mail indicating that selection notifications will likely come earlier than usual this year. She also made a point of saying notifications will be arriving via e-mail this year (in past years it's been snail mail, at least for selected individuals).

...this must be what it feels like to throw raw meat to a pack of wild dogs...except instead of raw meat it's largely useless, soon-to-be completely moot hearsay, and instead of a pack of wild dogs it's a far more ravenous and dangerous collective of type A's...

I also heard that notifications will be coming out soon, but it will be the alternate/rejections. The 2nd round recommended candidates must go back around to IEE for whatever reason and will be coming a bit later.

From my FPA.

I also heard that notifications will be coming out soon, but it will be the alternate/rejections. The 2nd round recommended candidates must go back around to IEE for whatever reason and will be coming a bit later.

From my FPA.

Whoa, any idea how soon "soon" is? Or did you just mean earlier than usual? Also, this is for all countries as far as you know, right?

Whoa, any idea how soon "soon" is? Or did you just mean earlier than usual? Also, this is for all countries as far as you know, right?

From my FPA.

So after the the country accepts you, IEE gets the final say since it US money.

Got an e-mail from my FPA a couple days ago saying the IIE sent all FPA's a heads-up e-mail indicating that selection notifications will likely come earlier than usual this year. She also made a point of saying notifications will be arriving via e-mail this year (in past years it's been snail mail, at least for selected individuals).

...this must be what it feels like to throw raw meat to a pack of wild dogs...except instead of raw meat it's largely useless, soon-to-be completely moot hearsay, and instead of a pack of wild dogs it's a far more ravenous and dangerous collective of type A's...

From my FPA.

My advisor said the process is proceeding normally, in the same manner as last year. The aforementioned national email said:

"In the coming weeks, Fulbright U.S. Student selection decisions will start coming in from the host countries. Because Fulbright requires additional review and approval of selected panels by the Department of State and the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, applicant notification will begin in early March and continue through April and May. The first notification of selection, alternate or non-selection status will be issued by IIE in an email to the students.  As was the case last year, we will copy the FPA on the email so that you will know the decision at the same time the student does. Good luck to your students and many thanks for your support of the Fulbright Program."

Edited by cm125

That's good to know. I wonder how many Full grant applicants were recommended for Spain this year. 

Comrade - there are 24 full grants to be given, and there are 50-60 full grant recommendations. As a rule, of those 50-60 recommended people, 50% will be offered the grant, 25% will be wait-listed, and 25% will be rejected.  Hope we both get it and I see you in Spain.

My advisor said the process is proceeding normally, in the same manner as last year. The aforementioned national email said:

"In the coming weeks, Fulbright U.S. Student selection decisions will start coming in from the host countries. Because Fulbright requires additional review and approval of selected panels by the Department of State and the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, applicant notification will begin in early March and continue through April and May. The first notification of selection, alternate or non-selection status will be issued by IIE in an email to the students.  As was the case last year, we will copy the FPA on the email so that you will know the decision at the same time the student does. Good luck to your students and many thanks for your support of the Fulbright Program."

early news is bad news? uh oh

Got an e-mail from my FPA a couple days ago saying the IIE sent all FPA's a heads-up e-mail indicating that selection notifications will likely come earlier than usual this year. She also made a point of saying notifications will be arriving via e-mail this year (in past years it's been snail mail, at least for selected individuals).   ...this must be what it feels like to throw raw meat to a pack of wild dogs...except instead of raw meat it's largely useless, soon-to-be completely moot hearsay, and instead of a pack of wild dogs it's a far more ravenous and dangerous collective of type A's...
So what you're saying is I should check my email every minute starting now? Ok sounds good.

UK Fulbright Applicants - anyone else still in the dark on the interview?  I advanced as a finalist and "At-Large" applicant for a partnership award, but I haven't heard anything about the phone interview.  Unfortunately, no FPA for me to reach out to.  Anyone have any advice, perhaps from their own FPA?  I get the feeling that its time to start thinking about Plan B.

Hi all,

I've been recommended for a full/research to Mexico. I haven't got word about any interviews yet. My advisor on campus thought only ETA and Business applicants had Skype interviews with Comexus and wasn't certain about interviews for full/research applicants. Anybody know about this? Has anyone heard from Comexus yet?

Best of luck to everyone!

I have also been recommended to mexico fo a research grant. I justgotan email today  telling me that I have a skype interview  on March 12th.- Totally unexpected, I thought only business and ETAs ha interviews. Now I'm freaking out! Hope this info helps.

I have also been recommended to mexico fo a research grant. I justgotan email today  telling me that I have a skype interview  on March 12th.- Totally unexpected, I thought only business and ETAs ha interviews. Now I'm freaking out! Hope this info helps.

I am recommended for a full/research grant to Mexico and also received an interview request from COMEXUS today. 

I am recommended for a full/research grant to Mexico and also received an interview request from COMEXUS today. 
That's not cool, my FPA didn't tell me anything about another interview. Here I was thinking I was in the clear just waiting to get selected or denied. If I don't get the grant after this nerve wrecking interview, it will be all the more disappointing.

That's not cool, my FPA didn't tell me anything about another interview. Here I was thinking I was in the clear just waiting to get selected or denied. If I don't get the grant after this nerve wrecking interview, it will be all the more disappointing.

Don't get too worked up about it. You've made it this far -- be confident! You got it.

I've been reading for awhile and now getting anxious too. ...group hug?

Haha, yes: group hug! 

I'm a little anxious, but more ready for the news. I'm not checking my email everyday like for the first round. It's a different feeling.