MIT LGO MBA/MS Engineering program help

atitus11

Hi, I need some graduate school advice. I graduate in May with degrees in both Biology and biochemistry along with a minor in Math. I am really interested in going to graduate school in Business/Operations/Engineering Management and I was wondering what I should do to make my application the strongest. I would love to go to MITs Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) program (Or one similar), and want to make my application as strong as possible. I am taking some time off right now to build the creds, and was wondering what I should be doing.

My Stats:

GPA: 3.7+

GRE: 790Q, 630V, 5.5W

Technical courses taken:

Intro Computer Science - Java

Calc I/II/III

Linear Algebra

Diff. Eq.

Statistics

Physics - Mechanics

Physics - E&M

Quantum and thermodyamics

I am currently in a research fellowship position at Stanford in a Neuro lab and will probably do about two years here. I also have 2+ years of neuro research experience from undergad. I do not have a bunch of business experience, but I am working full-time post graduation now. I am thinking the Bioengineering track in the LGO.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should be doing to be the strongest applicant possible. I was also wondering if anyone knew of any awesome training opportunities, such as Genentech's new grad rotation program, that I could look into? Or does anyone know of any other programs similar to the LGO program?

Any advice would be great!

I'd consider contacting a current student in the program--they will know what the backgrounds of their current peers are, and will have looked at other similar programs. If you contact the admin office, they will probably suggest a student talk to. I'm in a different MIT department, but I get blind e-mails asking for this sort of thing occasionally, and try to help out, and I assume others would do the same.

Hello and thanks for your interesting in the MIT Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) program. As you probably know, MIT LGO is a unique, dual degree program where students earn two MIT degrees in 24 months: an MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management and a masters degree in engineering from one of seven MIT engineering departments. For admission, students should have an undergraduate degree in engineering, math or science, an interest in manufacturing and operations and three years (minimum two years) of post-undergraduate work experience.

If you have the required technical background, it sounds like you still need post-graudate work experience. Successful students come from a variety of work backgrounds including business, engineering, industry and sometimes academics. creating a diverse cohort in each class.

Please check out our website at lgo.mit.edu where you can sign up for our email list. Please let me know if you have additional questions. If you would like to be in touch with one of our students, you can email lgo@mit.edu and we can connect you with one of them.

• 4 years later...