Contacting POI

annbkim

Is it too early to start contacting POI's? I don't want to send mine when they will be getting a huge influx of similar e-mails, but I also don't want it to be too early that they forget about me.

????

I can share my experience, if that helps. I asked my program advisor this question last year and she told me late august was a better time. Because I was nervous I waited until September- October and met with sucess in making contact. However, I would suggest, particularly with more well-known (and thus more solicited) professors, you actually contact either the graduate coordinater or program director first, stating your interest in their program and in that particular professor. My first admissions try, I did not do this and never heard back from anyone. My second time, I noted on Emory's art history page (the school I will be attending in the fall) that it was advisable to do this and I was sucessful in making contact with my now future advisor. Get some other opinions on this from professors if you can and good luck!

Well, I'm trying to gain a few things:

1. Introduce myself in a way that hopefully, just hopefully, have the Prof remember me in a positive way.

2. Be able to ask a few specific questions about the program.

3. From what I have heard, it is the polite and probably a strategic thing to do?

My two cents:

Most professors are either knee-deep in research, teaching, or don't want to be bothered with anything during the summer, so rarely will sending anything this soon be helpful. Secondly, while e-mail is great at quickly getting in touch with people, I hardly consider it memorable. I had professors for my undergrad that wouldn't even read mail sent from outside the university, if it even made it past the spam filter. Write a letter and mail them if you're gun-ho about writing a POI, just include your email address for easy communication on their part.

Personally I don't believe a POI letter will do much in the way of getting accepted, unless it's a smaller less competitive program, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I am actually a tenure-track professor myself (in Art), and decided I need to go back to school for a PhD in Contemporary Art History, and I understand the time sensitive and high pressure need to conduct research and publish (well, in my case, exhibitions). I think what I am looking for is something that may make them think, "oh yeah, I think that person contacted me" while the committee is going through the applications. I never thought it will really affect whether I get accepted or not, but if it comes down to that last minute detail, I'd just rather not take any chances.

A letter is a good idea. Perhaps I will do both. Just in case.

Thanks!

Secondly, while e-mail is great at quickly getting in touch with people, I hardly consider it memorable. I had professors for my undergrad that wouldn't even read mail sent from outside the university, if it even made it past the spam filter. Write a letter and mail them if you're gun-ho about writing a POI, just include your email address for easy communication on their part.

If you sent a snail mail letter to the DGS at my program, you would never get a response - they'd wonder why you were to technically incomprehensible. I would really see that person's anecdote as one example, but I really wouldn't stress their advice.

I emailed 4/4 of my POIs last fall and got 3/4 responses back. The last one is a really important professor so I wasn't surprised I didn't get a response. Two of the other professors were fantastic, made appointments with me, and discussed the program and objectives thoroughly. They were definitely my top two choices.

Go with your gut, I would email later summer (August-Sept) rather than in the middle.

Mitleachim,

I really really appreciate your response. I was actually thinking the same thing. :) I will contact them late summer via e-mail.

Thank you so much.

Well, I'm trying to gain a few things:

1. Introduce myself in a way that hopefully, just hopefully, have the Prof remember me in a positive way.

2. Be able to ask a few specific questions about the program.

3. From what I have heard, it is the polite and probably a strategic thing to do?

In my experience it helps not at all and can sometimes hurt if a message seems ill-informed or overly demanding. Faculty evaluate applications, not personal contacts.

It helped me - certain professors were very enthusiastic about my research interests, and several that I later met in person referenced them positively. If they don't respond, don't bug them further. But I don't think it hurts as long as it is diplomatic.

If they don't respond, don't bug them further. But I don't think it hurts as long as it is diplomatic.

I always try twice to get in touch with a professor before I call it quits. Most of the time mail/emails get misplaced, so I always reference the fact that I previously mailed them and never received a response. Most professors are pretty prompt about getting back after the second letter, that is if they indeed want to answer your question :D

If you live near enough to the person you're reaching out to, don't just send them an email but try to schedule a time to meet. I did that in late August late year while visiting some family and it was great. The POI I met with helped me identify some other places I should apply, sent me a few articles to read, gave me some tips on strengthening my application, and even got in touch a few months later when she was in my city for a conference.

good luck!