Withdraw?

Lazcano

I contacted my school a few days ago to informally accept their offer and have now changed my mind. My top choice just accepted me. I felt somewhat pressured by the school to make a decision and did not think I would get into top choice. I can't help but feel that withdrawing now will destroy my reputation. One of profs where I accepted wrote me 5 LOR's and is a big shot in my small field. . .Can get out of this with my reputation intact or should I just live with my decision?

If your going to your top choice and you know that that is your final decision, you need to contact the school whose program you've all ready accepted to notify them you won't be attending said university.

You may need and/or want to write a letter of explaination; this does the following: it thanks them and lets them know that you are retracting your informal acceptance. You needn't give them too much information as to why, just tell them that your situation has changed in a manner that forces you to withdraw your acceptance. Also note that if you have all ready paid a deposit it will most likely be forfeited by this action. FYI: Paying the deposit is NOT concrete acceptance on your part, as people regularly do that and then just don't show up; that just means that they will save a seat for you - if you pay the initial deposit, and then fail to inform them you're not coming, someone who is waitlisted gets screwed!

I warn you, DO NOT write them until you are absolutely sure you are going to your top choice! Use this as a learning experience - you should not have assumed the power and authority of accepting or rejecting yourself from any school. These institutions are making the decisions, not you, and so you have a decent shot until they say otherwise. Then the ball is in your court. If your top choice is your final choice, then make it so - but be sure of that fact before you make the next move.

Then you have one last thing to do - sit back and relax. You're in! :D