Living on or off campus

screamorange

Hey guys!

I will be attending Guelph University in the fall, I live about 40 minutes away right now. I was wondering should I live on campus or should I commute from home everyday? As for the traffic, its not that bad, and there is a bus that goes straight from my street to Guelph.

I don't have experience attending the University of Guelph, but it is in my hometown and I can tell you that the public transportation is pretty great there (at least in comparison to the other places I have lived). There are benefits to living on campus as a social and proximity factor, but its also nice to live off campus and have a bit more privacy and silence when needed. I would probably live off campus, but that is just a personal preference:)

Personally I prefer off campus. Though you may want to live away from home if its going to be a distraction in your studies.I'd say live at home if conducive for reading. As for commuting to school, 40mins is not bad since traffic is not heavy.

I've been thinking about this a lot too. I live in Toronto and I will be going to Laurier (Kitchener/Waterloo area) in the fall. I go back and forth between wanting to live near campus and staying in Toronto. I think I'm going to end up commuting to Kitchener. Has anyone done this commute before? Any thoughts?

I've been thinking about this a lot too. I live in Toronto and I will be going to Laurier (Kitchener/Waterloo area) in the fall. I go back and forth between wanting to live near campus and staying in Toronto. I think I'm going to end up commuting to Kitchener. Has anyone done this commute before? Any thoughts?

I think you are insane. The drive is an hour and a half without traffic. Knowing full well how brutal Toronto traffic can be, that could easily double. Maybe possible if you only have to be at school once or twice a week, but anything more than that and you could be spending anywhere from 3 to 6 hours a day commuting. Not to mention the gas.

I think you are insane. The drive is an hour and a half without traffic. Knowing full well how brutal Toronto traffic can be, that could easily double. Maybe possible if you only have to be at school once or twice a week, but anything more than that and you could be spending anywhere from 3 to 6 hours a day commuting. Not to mention the gas.

That's my situation exactly. I only have classes 3 days per week first semester then 1 day per week for the rest of my program (1.5 years). I'm doing an MSW so most of my time will be spent doing my practicum placement. I suppose my final decision will depend on where I get a placement.

I agree totally. I used to work in KW and knew people who commuted in from TO. They would leave home at 5am to avoid traffic then have breakfast in KW. It was totally unsustainable. It's one thing to do this if you're working in a job, but when you're a student I don't think you can afford to waste time like that. Or at least, you'd then have to do nothing but your studies as you'd be wasting so much time in the car.