Need serious help with what to do next...

tcw5038

Hey all,

I just completed a Masters of Psych at Boston University (not something I would recommend doing) thinking that I would continue on to my PhD at another school. However, the program kind of destroyed my interest in psychology. I am thinking about switching over to something in East Asian studies given that I have a strong interest in the political and cultural climate in that area of the world. I am not sure whether to apply to a masters in EA studies, or to just apply to poli sci or international relations phd programs. Some of my work in psychology relates to cultural differences and I have taken some poli sci classes, but besides that I don't really have any relevant experience. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Given that I had to pay a lot for the master's program, I don't necessarily want to do something else unfunded. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, just saw your post and unfortunately I don't have any bright ideas regarding that next step. I am however planning to attend the MA Psych program at BU in the fall. Just wondering why you wouldn't recommend the program, and how the program iteself ruined psychology for you. I have heard others say very positive things about the program (except perhaps for the cost), and I was curious to get your take on things.

Regarding a transition to East Asia work/study, have you looked extensively at institutions that offer masters programs in this area? I would think a Masters in Psych would present some good opportunities for related fields specific to East Asia, possibly related to social psychology, community psychology, or even I/O or consulting work. Any ideas what you want to do career-wise?

Just some thoughts to help, and if you have a moment to pass on some advice about BU, I would really appreciate it.

All the best,

Cab