what to wear to fellowship interview?

Guest onion

Guest onion

i have an interview for a university fellowship in a few weeks. the letter says to wear "interview attire". i'm not sure what that means in terms of graduate programs. should i swear a suit, or would a blouse and skirt suffice? what do you think?

Guest Guest

Wear a suit. Definitely. They won't judge you for being "too formal", but they might for being "too informal". When in doubt, dress up.

I would agree that it is hard to be too formal. However, if you can, wear something that you have worn before and that you feel confortable and confident in. If you need to buy something new or borrow, wear it and make sure there is nothing awkward or uncomfortable. You don't want to be fidgeting or worrying about something like the pant legs being too short in the middle of an interview.

If you need guidelines or examples, the following sites may help you out:

http://amdt.wsu.edu/research/dti/Women_Tips.html

http://tcbsolutions.net.phtemp.com/Prop ... %20attire'

http://www.collegegrad.com/interview/jo ... tire.shtml

The first one is probably best. Good Luck!!!!

Guest onion

Thank you; that is enormously helpful. I will go with the suit. Although I'm afraid the "well-groomed hairstyle" one of the articles advises is a bit of a lost cause in my case...

Guest onion

No, nothing that dramatic. Just long, very unruly, curly-ish hair that I have no idea how to style for an interview. I usually just let it hang loose and it looks pretty and feminine, but extremely unprofessional! I'm worried my lack of styling ability will make me look lazy. I tried a bun but I have ginormous cheekbones and it made me look like the offspring of Daryl Hannah and Genghis Khan. If only I had a mohawk, then I'd have an excuse!

I hate worrying about this stuff--can't they just love me for my mind?! ;D

That doesn't seem like too much of a problem. I would suggest at least putting part up, so the hair is out of your face or a highish sleek ponytail. If you have a friend who would be able to do and/or teach you to do a quick updo (not super difficult, because it might look like you're going to prom) that would also be a choice. If all else fails, shave your head and donate to Locks of Love and make sure to mention it. They may like your charitable attitude. J/k.

• 2 weeks later...