Econ major needs help with prerequisites

Hey,

So I'm an econ major (graduated 2 years ago) with about 2 years' unrelated work experience and I'm looking into applying to graduate schools in either Actuarial Science or Statistics. I'm not terrible at math (actually I can be quite good when I try) but being an econ major my math background is what most would consider "weak". Ok so here's the good, bad, and ugly:

The Good:

SOA Exam FM, 9 (Feb. 2012)

Statistics, A (6-credit intro course) (Freshman year)

Intro Programming, A (Junior year)

AP Calculus, 5 ( 6 years ago)

The Bad:

Didn't take any math in college besides stat

My GPA (between 3.4 and 3.5/4.0)

*Taking SOA Exam P in July, I guss I could add this to the "good" if I pass...

I was going to apply later this year so I could go in the fall of next year. I was also going to take calculus, probability and stats at a local college here (I'm overseas right now) or online through a local or US college. I haven't taken the GRE yet. Is my math background so lacking as to bar admission into any decent ActSci or Stat program?

Edited by motiontodismiss

At minimum, you'll need linear algebra, multivariable calculus, mathematical statistics, and probably real analysis to have a serious shot at good stat programs. Unfortunately, SOA exams won't mean much to stat adcoms, but you might get more credit for doing well on them if you were applying to ActSci programs.

Thank you...that's what I figured. So would you say if I took Calc II, III, linear algebra I, II, intro real analysis plus prob&stat are sufficient for stat programs? Sucks that actuarial exams don't mean much of anything for stat programs since they cover a lot of topics in stat & probability (esp. Exam P).

Perhaps I should just forget about stats masters altogether and just focus on ActSci programs.

I'd be applying from overseas and I'm an international student, but I went to middle school, high school, and undergrad in the US. I wouldn't need to take the TOEFL would I?

are you aiming for phd or master's program?

multivariable calc, linear algebra, and perhaps a calc-based probability course should be sufficient for master's programs.

Master's definitely. I don't think academia's my cup of tea....plus I'd much rather go into industry.

Is multivariable calculus offered by another name sometimes? I'm looking at the math department of a local college here and there's no course by that name offered.

So for my post-bac coursework I'm considering taking:

Linear Algebra I & II

Applied Probability-covers Lebesgue and Martingale

Actuarial Mathematics-insurance math stuff

Multivariable calculus is often listed as Calculus III or Advanced Calculus I if you're in a quarter school. Look for something that covers partial differentiation, Lagrange Multipliers, double and triple integrals (usually taught in polar, cylindrical and spherical coordinates) at minimum. Line and Surface integrals as well as Greene's and Stokes theorem are also often taught in this sort of a class (sometimes split, depending on where you go) but this is less important that the former at least for a MS in stats.

This sort of calculus is essential when dealing with multivariate distributions since you'll need to differentiate and integrate equations with multiple random variables.

You probably don't need Lebesgue measure theory for a masters degree.

Also if you can, an intro to real analysis class that covers topics like limits and series, convergence and improper integrals will help a lot.

I was an Econ undergrad too and getting my PhD in Statistics at a "top 10" program.

Real analysis....got it. Thanks.

I just took a practice GRE and got: (I think they said it was GRE Test 6)

V: 155

Q: 157

AWA: I don't think Princeton Review grades this for the free diagnostic

on it. What kind of score should I be shooting for? Obviously a perfect in quantitative right?

According to this website http://www.msinus.co...erter-table.htm evidently I'm in the 69th percentile for verbal and 77th for quantitative. However to be fair I took this diagnostic at 1 in the morning after a full day at work. And uh...lots of stupid mistakes, like forgetting to plug in negative numbers and such.