College instructor or Phd program?

I have a choice to make within the next few days. I received an offer from the University of Toledo for their Phd graduate assistant program in Mathematics. The offer seems tempting. I would have to move from Cleveland, Ohio to the Toledo area. However, the program seems more rewarding than a part time teaching position at a local college (I have a M.Sc. degree in mathematics). What are your opinions?

Hi there,

Teaching and doing a PhD are quite different paths...while your PhD might offer you the opportunity to teach, it will be nothing like a full-time position.

I think you have to figure out what your longterm goals are. Are you interested in teaching? At what level? Are you interested in research? Through what kind of institution? What are your financial plans (i.e., do you want to start making money to buy a house or are you willing to sacrifice that to go to school for the next 3-5 years?)

I think this is the type of decision you'll have to make, and it's one which will require you to ask a lot of questions to yourself about what your interests are and where you would like to see yourself headed in the future.

Good luck!

I have a choice to make within the next few days. I received an offer from the University of Toledo for their Phd graduate assistant program in Mathematics. The offer seems tempting. I would have to move from Cleveland, Ohio to the Toledo area. However, the program seems more rewarding than a part time teaching position at a local college (I have a M.Sc. degree in mathematics). What are your opinions?

If you only ever want to do lower division mathematics at the CC level AND the region pays fairly good for long-term instructors I would stay put.

However, and I suppose this depends on how many years you have, teaching at the university level is obviously more financially rewarding (and mentally rewarding since you get to actually USE some of the math you learned at the upper div. level).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess the circumstances have already decided themselves. I didn't receive the offer for the full time position in Cleveland, so I will be attending UT for their Phd program. I think this is better in the long run anyways, as I am not financially stressed (I currently live at my parents house), and the Phd degree offers better pay in the long run.