UCLA sending notifications now!

mochalatte

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people don't mind answering, I'm wondering what your GRE scores were if you applied to the PSE program. USNEWS reports that the average GRE scores for UCLA's PhD programs are 551V/591Q, but I'm wondering if scores for the PSE department may be higher than that? I didn't apply to the PSE program this year (foolishly applied to UCLA's Psychology Department after they waived the Subject GRE), but I'm considering the possibility of applying next year because I like the research being done there although the thought of delaying graduate school for one more year when I have an offer somewhere else this year is not ideal.

If people don't mind answering, I'm wondering what your GRE scores were if you applied to the PSE program. USNEWS reports that the average GRE scores for UCLA's PhD programs are 551V/591Q, but I'm wondering if scores for the PSE department may be higher than that? I didn't apply to the PSE program this year (foolishly applied to UCLA's Psychology Department after they waived the Subject GRE), but I'm considering the possibility of applying next year because I like the research being done there although the thought of delaying graduate school for one more year when I have an offer somewhere else this year is not ideal.

I didn't apply to the PSE program but I worked on a research project and the PI serves as a faculty member on the PSE program. I also worked with a lot of graduate students who are part of the program. For the PSE program, admission is really more about fit and the kind of research you are interested in. I was told that as long as your GRE scores are above 500 in Verbal AND Quantitative you will be okay. I'm not sure about AW though.

Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear about the GREs. I have a score in the 1200s, so I was just worrying that the GREs for the PSE program were in the 1300s+. I'll be at UCLA during the summer doing a research internship (in the Psych dept.), but I'll probably try to contact some of the professors in the Education department (Drs. Graham and Mistry). Unfortunately, I'll have to make a decision on my current acceptances before I get down there. I think my research matches are good and I've always liked UCLA, but I just didn't apply to the program this year. Do you happen to know how many students they accept (even better, how many out of how many applicants) and how well they're funded?

No reply from UCLA Ed.D. people... however, the letter they sent said that they'd let us know "by mid to late March," so I guess that's when I'll find out.. :T

Any news, to anyone out there who may have applied to this program?

No, I didn't end up enrolling.. and I regret it to this day. I ended up going another school because it was a year long program (vs. two years to credential/masters offered at UCLA.) I'm happy where I am now (in education,) so it wasn't a bad decision.. but still. :)

Have you tried calling your department to get a status? I'm going to hold off doing so until the end of March, since they told us edd candidates that admittances/rejections would go out between mid and end of March..

I love the way I got my rejection letter in the mail last week...and they felt like ruining another week so they sent an automated e-mail to check my online status as well at 11:19 last night. If I hadn't been admitted to a couple other schools...this could have seriously damaged my self-esteem. Ah well...Go Bruins! lol. 8)

Congrats NSP!

This is great news, and I'm happy for you. :)

No news on my end yet... still waiting (trying to be patient...)

A few OCD questions though...

1) small or big envelope?

2) are you on the east/west coast? (trying to determine mail time)

3) has your status changed on the website?

Thanks!