NYU Strengths/Weaknesses

I'm not starting another one of these until dagger starts one. ;)

I'd really like people to add to this one since I'm very much on the border with NYU.

Pros:

-Location (could also be a con, wrt cost of living).

-Faculty (I've met a few professors through a networking event and visiting the school who have been very kind, and I'm interested in one professors academic work)

-Strong local government/NGO bent (see cons).

-Has moved up in US News rankings due to increased focus on policy track

Cons:

-Seems more focused on administration and management than other policy programs, which can be geared toward quant and research tracks if desired.

-Strong city government ties (could be a pro if this is a career goal).

-EXPENSIVE!

I would love to live in New York City and have really enjoyed the professors I've met. I have read another professor's book on microfinance and am very interested in his research. In other words, I really want this to be the program for me (assuming I get some funding!). It seems, though, that the program is really focused on the NGO sector and city government and that someone who is considering more of a research path would not get as much out of the program (this was confirmed by a current student).

If anyone has additional experiences with or impressions of the program, I'd be glad to hear them, since I think it has slipped below GPPI in my estimation.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I find myself in your (original post) shoes. Have applied to a mixed bag of Public Policy and Ed Policy doctoral programs. (Accepted at NYU-Wagner, UW Madison-Ed & UPenn-GSE, so far).

Have to say, you've got more info on Wagner than I do at this point. Really helpful for my current angst - thanks!

I'm meeting with a couple of profs and students on Wednesday. Will post all the info I gather (caution, some of it might not be relevant to your case). If you have a specific generic question, write back and I'll try my best to slip it in with my questions.

An additional, larger question for me though is the pros/cons of graduating from a Public Policy school versus an Ed School, if the choice of future career is clearly policy oriented (irrespective of whether it involves research or administration).

Hi!

I find myself in your (original post) shoes. Have applied to a mixed bag of Public Policy and Ed Policy doctoral programs. (Accepted at NYU-Wagner, UW Madison-Ed & UPenn-GSE, so far).

Have to say, you've got more info on Wagner than I do at this point. Really helpful for my current angst - thanks!

I'm meeting with a couple of profs and students on Wednesday. Will post all the info I gather (caution, some of it might not be relevant to your case). If you have a specific generic question, write back and I'll try my best to slip it in with my questions.

An additional, larger question for me though is the pros/cons of graduating from a Public Policy school versus an Ed School, if the choice of future career is clearly policy oriented (irrespective of whether it involves research or administration).

Thanks, nams! Please do share your experiences. I'm also curious to hear your thoughts of the PhD program, as I'm flirting with the idea of getting my doctorate after the MPP.

I just received a message from a student ambassador from Wagner seeing if I had any questions about the program or courses....but I have not received any update about my status yet...weird. Anyone else get called today?

Rhymenoceros,

What's this about getting a job at NYU? I was just accepted with no funding so.... yeah. What kind of job are we talking? custodial? research? Any info on it would be helpful.

Rhymenoceros,

What's this about getting a job at NYU? I was just accepted with no funding so.... yeah. What kind of job are we talking? custodial? research? Any info on it would be helpful.

My sister works in the mayor's office and said that you can also get tuition paid for if you get a job with the city. That might be something to look into as well.

Just got the acceptance email today! Was the funding information included in your email, or does that come in a separate letter?

Just got the acceptance email today! Was the funding information included in your email, or does that come in a separate letter?

My email was a very general admit email with information on admitted student receptions. Nothing about funding. Excited though!!

My email was a very general admit email with information on admitted student receptions. Nothing about funding. Excited though!!

I know, my initial response when I saw the header line: "Welcome to NYU Wagner!" was- crap. Another newsletter from Wagner. What a pleasant surprise! Are y'all planning on going to the NYU reception or one in a different city?

I know, my initial response when I saw the header line: "Welcome to NYU Wagner!" was- crap. Another newsletter from Wagner. What a pleasant surprise! Are y'all planning on going to the NYU reception or one in a different city?

I'm not sure. I was planning on attending the GPPI day on April 3. I might go on an individual visit to NYU earlier in the week. Or, I'll do Georgetown earlier and NYU on April 3. Decisions decisions.

hey guys-

did you say you've already heard from Wagner? Congrats! Hmm...guess the prediction about Mar 16th was off, they piled on to Mar 13 just like HKS is supposedly planning to.

Did anyone log in and receive their decision or did everyone get an email first telling them to log in?

Did anyone log in and receive their decision or did everyone get an email first telling them to log in?

Hi javajava,

The admissions email I received today simply stated that I was admitted in NYU Wagner and encouraged me to register for an upcoming admitted student event. It also indicated that an official acceptance letter will follow. The email did not instruct me to log-in to check my application status. Good luck with the admissions process; hopefully you'll get some good news in the next day or so!

got the acceptance email yesterday as well, big props to everyone else. 8)

since this is the nyu strengths/weaknesses board, i have to say that one strength is that of all the faculty i met with, the wagner folks seemed to be the most genuinely interested in getting to know prospective students, being accessible for questions, etc. a few of the other schools had encouraging, positive professors too, but nyu stood out. if i were choosing just on faculty potential alone, it would be nyu. my two cents.

Hello - to all those who were admitted, can you chime in with when you submitted your application? I haven't heard back (either way) and am wondering if it because I submitted my application the very last week (and I'm aware that it's rolling admissions). Thanks..

I've seen some comparisons with GPPI and NYU. I got into both programs and was wondering which one is the strongest? I know NYU is ranked higher and that the two schools are probably different in focus, but what are the strengths/weaknesses of both schools in comparison?

Thanks!

I didn't apply to GPPI, but from what I've seen with Wagner, it does tend to be much more city-government and nonprofit oriented, so that could be a plus or a minus depending on your career goals. From what I've heard from GPPI grads, Georgetown is making a concerted effort to become quant-heavy--I'm sure this is something they've undertaken to become more competitive. They seem to have a very active alumni community (I wen there for undergrad and somehow am constantly getting GPPI notices). Obviously, both locations have much to speak for them. Overall, I think NYU will be more expensive--again, this will depend per person/funding etc. and where you live in NYC. DC is just less expensive, overall. I've heard wonderful things about the NYU faculty, and they seem to be very active in the DC community (or at least in my nonprofit world community).

i have to say that one strength is that of all the faculty i met with, the wagner folks seemed to be the most genuinely interested in getting to know prospective students, being accessible for questions, etc. a few of the other schools had encouraging, positive professors too, but nyu stood out. if i were choosing just on faculty potential alone, it would be nyu. my two cents.

I can confirm your experience. I've met two Wagner faculty members recently and was hugely impressed with both of them. NYU is a powerhouse that attracts some great talent in urban management, etc.

With Wagner the first and last question you need to ask yourself is "Do I want to work in NYC?" If you accept, the answer should be an unequivocal "yes".