NYU Strengths/Weaknesses

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhymenoceros,

What's this about getting a job at NYU? I was just accepted with no funding so.... yeah. What kind of job are we talking? custodial? research? Any info on it would be helpful.

Any full-time job at NYU allows you to get tuition remission. You can work as an administrative assistant, researcher, librarian or even a janitor. You just need to be good enough to be admitted to the program and the program must allow you to matriculate as a part-time student (hence, the Law, Medical and Dental schools are not allowed). NYU counts the tuition remission as income - you basically pay taxes on the free tuition they give you. You can get an MBA, MPA or one of many other graduate degrees this way.

Any full-time job at NYU allows you to get tuition remission. You can work as an administrative assistant, researcher, librarian or even a janitor. You just need to be good enough to be admitted to the program and the program must allow you to matriculate as a part-time student (hence, the Law, Medical and Dental schools are not allowed). NYU counts the tuition remission as income - you basically pay taxes on the free tuition they give you. You can get an MBA, MPA or one of many other graduate degrees this way.

This sounds like a great opportunity! Has anyone looked into doing this? Is it particularly competitive to obtain a position?

i applied in early jan and still not heard back.. anyone in the same boat?

and how is the financial assistence package offered so far?

Haven't heard anything about financial assistance yet. There was no mention in the admit email, and haven't received anything in the mail yet. I hope that we hear about that before the Open House on April 3.

I am also still waiting to hear - applied on Jan. 15 as well. I feel like I'm starting to get a little bit crazy about all of this - I was accepted at GPPI and basically need to hear back from Wagner before I make travel/open house arrangements. The woman I spoke to at Wagner said they'll be putting out admissions notices until early April - seems a little crazy to have the open house on 4/3 if you're still in the process of letting people know!

To those who have yet to hear of any admissions decision from NYU...

I got in contact with one of the staff members at Wagner, and this is what she said:

"Thanks for your email. I am not privy to information about your application but I know that you will get an answer from admissions by the end of this month. I just checked with them about the timeline to confirm and you are in the group that will receive a reply by March 31!"

So, I guess we'll just have to stick around and wait. But it's nice to know my application hasn't been lost...

That is good to know, Sne1103, thanks. I've been resisting the urge to call for a status update because I bugged them a lot right as my application was being submitted in January (they misplaced some of my materials, including a scholarship nomination, and it was a giant headache for all involved).

For those of you who have been accepted, did your status in Wagner's online application system change to reflect your admission? I've been logging in to check frequently, but it would help to know if there's any point in continuing to do that.

Also, anyone know if rejections come via email like acceptances? That would be kind of depressing, so I guess it's best to prepare myself for the possibility!

That is good to know, Sne1103, thanks. I've been resisting the urge to call for a status update because I bugged them a lot right as my application was being submitted in January (they misplaced some of my materials, including a scholarship nomination, and it was a giant headache for all involved).

For those of you who have been accepted, did your status in Wagner's online application system change to reflect your admission? I've been logging in to check frequently, but it would help to know if there's any point in continuing to do that.

Also, anyone know if rejections come via email like acceptances? That would be kind of depressing, so I guess it's best to prepare myself for the possibility!

I was admitted almost two weeks ago by email, but my online application status hasn't changed yet. Good luck!

any new/recent ideas on NYU/Wagner?

I am interested in the nonprofit management program---- concentration on int'l policy.......

looks like a great program/great profs and good interning opportunities, but def worried about tuition/cost of living.

I just heard from Wagner - I'm in! Those who are waiting, take heart...I think they have finally gotten to the last wave of decisions. My admission is also proof that they aren't just saving rejections for the end.

It's a pity the decision comes this late. I have done a lot of research and thinking about Fletcher and Columbia. I really respect the institution and the faculty, but it's going to be hard to play catch-up as far as I am concerned (unless there is big money involved...what's the latest on when we will hear about funding - anyone?)

I heard about an hour ago that I was waitlisted; hopefully they've released all the decisions by now and no one has to wait out the weekend.

So all you folks accepted at HKS and WWS and SIPA... reach for the stars and clear up some space at Wagner for the rest of us :P

I heard about an hour ago that I was waitlisted; hopefully they've released all the decisions by now and no one has to wait out the weekend.

So all you folks accepted at HKS and WWS and SIPA... reach for the stars and clear up some space at Wagner for the rest of us :P

Cah101--I've decided to turn down NYU Wagner because they didn't offer any funding. I'll be going to HKS instead (with or without funding). Best of luck with Wagner!