School Lists 2013 (Where are you applying?)

Hi! So I'm going to be applying to a mix of Ph.D. programs in English and Comparative Literature (as well as M.Ed. programs, but of course that's not relevant to this thread) and would definitely welcome some input as to where else I should apply.

Definitely applying:

Northwestern (English)

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (Comp Lit)

UNC Chapel-Hill (Comp Lit)

Ohio State (English)

Indiana University, Bloomington (Comp Lit)

Washington University in St. Louis (Joint Degree Program in English and Comp Lit!)

Considering:

UC San Diego

U Chicago

Minnesota

Oregon

If admitted to an English program, I'd like to study voices and portrayals of women in 50's and 60's American literature (e.g. Sylvia Plath, Flannery O'Connor, Richard Yates).

If admitted to Comp Lit, I'd want to focus on how different nations (in particular Germany, Netherlands, France, England, and America, to start out broadly) dealt with the aftermath of World War II. For example, I'm very interested in the literary expiation of Germany's "guilt" as well as the problem of remembrance in the works of Heinrich Böll, Günter Grass, and Paul Celan, among others.

Thanks so much for the referrals! I'll be sure to check out the journals.

MELUS has an issue that focuses on "Race, Ethnicity, Disability, and Literature" that you might find interesting, though there are really only two applicable essays ("Editor's Introduction: Race, Ethnicity, Disability, and Literature: Intersections and Interventions" and "Cutting the Tongue: Language and the Body in Kingston's 'The Woman Warrior'"). Also, the upcoming issue of Amerasia Journal is supposed to concentrate on "The State of Illness and Disability in Asian America," so keep an eye out for that.

Hi,

I'm an international applicant (India) to the U.S. for a Phd in English Literature. My research interests are postcolonialism, postmodernism and gender studies. I am currently pursuing an M.Phil degree ( post M.A.research degree offered in India and European countries) in English. My tentative list looks like this:

UC Irvine

University of Virginia (UVA)

UT-Austin

University of Wisconsin-Madison

Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)

UIUC

Tufts

U of Minnesota,Twin Cities

I have contacted some of the faculty at these universities and their programs seem a good fit for my interests. My GPA is about 3.89.

I am worried about funding though since I have heard that International applicants get very less by way of scholarships or T.A.s/G.A.s. Moreover, I know the above are all competitive schools and departments and thus the worry factor is higher. Can someone please help with some advice if they can?

Just a heads up, last 2 rounds CM has only accepted 2 students out of 500-600 applicants.

For Ph.D, yes. I'm applying to their MA program... which I realize is still very competitive. Real talk: my best friend in the world was accepted to the MA program there last year and is starting this week. I'll probably apply solely because I miss her so damn much. Haha, I'm the worst academic of all the academics.

Just a heads up, last 2 rounds CM has only accepted 2 students out of 500-600 applicants.

Wow, what? Do you have a link or citation on this? Their website just says that they accept "several" students per year as far as I can find.

Edit: A quick look at the Gradcafe results search shows 3 acceptances, just including those submitted, assuming they are genuine, to the PhD program last year.

Edited by asleepawake

Is anyone here applying for a Masters? Anyone?

I don't see anyone applying to a CSU school... does that mean less competition? No competition? :P

MA Program:

CSU: LA (I reallllllllllly want to work with Prof. McManus!)

CSU: Long Beach

CSU: Northridge

Loyola Marymount University

PhD Program:

UC: Santa Cruz

UC: Irvine

UC: Santa Barbara

University of Southern California

Interests: Renaissance Lit (Spenser, Milton), Classics (epic poetry, Virgil) all through the lens of Gender Studies

Obviously I won't get into those PhD programs but it's kind of a test for myself... and never too early to start studying for the Lit Subject GRE, right?

I'm also applying for a Masters, but I'm doing about equal numbers of PhD applications as well. Then again, most of my MA programs are feeders into the PhDs there, so I guess I'm leaning a little more heavily toward PhD.

Edited by dazedandbemused

I'm also applying for a Masters, but I'm doing about equal numbers of PhD applications as well. Then again, most of my MA programs are feeders into the PhDs there, so I guess I'm leaning a little more heavily toward PhD.

How does one find if a school is a feeder school? As in statistically all MA grads go on to PhDs?

So far I've only found one funded MA program in California (for international students, that is).

On 8/28/2012 at 9:06 PM, 1Q84 said:

How does one find if a school is a feeder school? As in statistically all MA grads go on to PhDs?

So far I've only found one funded MA program in California (for international students, that is).

It's usually stated on the website, though I don't think I've actually seen any official school websites that use the word "feeder." I know that UIC and University of Washington's site makes it clear. This is what it says for University of Washington, for example:

Continuation to the Ph.D. Program

Our M.A./Ph.D. program is fully integrated. Students wishing to continue to the Ph.D. can do so internally and non-competitively, given satisfactory academic progress and completion of the Master's Essay.

Yes, what Rachael2687 said. Schools such as UIUC, UConn, Penn State and IU Bloomington where you don't have to continue to the PhD, but you don't have to reapply to get into program.

I don't see anyone applying to a CSU school... does that mean less competition? No competition? :P

MA Program:

PhD Program:

Interests: Renaissance Lit (Spenser, Milton), Classics (epic poetry, Virgil) all through the lens of Gender Studies

Obviously I won't get into those PhD programs but it's kind of a test for myself... and never too early to start studying for the Lit Subject GRE, right?

Do any of those CSU schools offer full-funding?

MA Program:

PhD Program:

For those MA programs I'd really shoot for Northridge or Los Angeles, which is where I am finishing up right now. And yes, McManus is a great professor. I took her for Renaissance Literature.

University of Saskatchewan.

Shakespeare :)

USask has an excellent English programme. I've heard nothing but good things, the course offerings this year were AMAZING, and the faculty I've met have been doing really interesting research.

1. Where are you definitely applying?

Definitely applying to UToronto, McGill, Queen's, Purdue.

2. Where else are you considering applying?

Chicago, Brown.

3. What are your research interests?

Working-class lit and the IWW (I'm so fucked)

Definitely applying:

Yale

Columbia

NYU

CUNY Grad

Harvard

UPenn

Considering:

UConn

Princeton

My area of focus is medieval literature. I'm limited to sticking near New York, but I'm lucky that there are plenty of strong medieval programs around here. Lately I've been focusing on Arthurian literature, but there are very few programs that fit that (Purdue is one, but a- they don't admit directly into the PhD, and b- it's too far from NY). I'm also interested in adaptations of medieval literature, ie medievalisms.

Hello friends. New member here. I look forward to suffering through this application season with you; doing it by myself the last time through was a special kind of hell. In other news, here are my schools!

University of Michigan (UMich)

University of North Carolina (UNC)

Brown

U Wisconsin Madison

U Minnesota Twin Cities

New York University (NYU)

U California Riverside

Rochester

Northeastern

My interests include

-British Women Writers (Early Modern and Long 18th C.)

-Feminist Geographies

-Women and Science Writing

-Margaret Cavendish (Yes, she deserves her own bullet.)

I feel like I have a nice little three-tier system going on. I'm still on the fence about Chapel Hill because it is my undergrad. Still, I can already see the professors who would make up my panel. Does anyone ever get back into their undergrad institutions?

On 9/12/2012 at 4:59 PM, thebeatgoeson said:

Hello friends. New member here. I look forward to suffering through this application season with you; doing it by myself the last time through was a special kind of hell. In other news, here are my schools!

University of Michigan (UMich)

University of North Carolina (UNC)

Brown

U Wisconsin Madison

U Minnesota Twin Cities

New York University (NYU)

U California Riverside

Rochester

Northeastern

My interests include

-British Women Writers (Early Modern and Long 18th C.)

-Feminist Geographies

-Women and Science Writing

-Margaret Cavendish (Yes, she deserves her own bullet.)

I feel like I have a nice little three-tier system going on. I'm still on the fence about Chapel Hill because it is my undergrad. Still, I can already see the professors who would make up my panel. Does anyone ever get back into their undergrad institutions?

I have had many professors recommend that you do not get your graduate degree at the same place you get your undergrad.