School Lists 2013 (Where are you applying?)

This is my second round of applications. I'm trying for:

Georgetown (MA)

Duke (PhD in English)

Texas Tech (MA)

Western Washington (MA)

UI Urbana Champaign (MA)

Indiana University (MA)

UC Boulder (MA)

U. of Florida (MA)

UC Santa Cruz (MA)

I opted for masters programs this year. I think my resume is undeveloped a bit, coming from a state school in Montana. Fingers crossed. I'm shooting for 20th c. American, emphasis on history of science fiction, cybernetics and posthumanism.

Edited by gradschoolwannabe

So is it very hard to get into a prestigious school when coming from a lower tier school? Because I know people in my program at a big name who come from big public schools (famous ones but definitely not in the same rank as the program they're in now). Anybody know how that works? Did they have to set themselves apart in some way to make the jump?

Having a minor/medium-sized freak out.

So as some of you may have gleaned from my posts, I am a US/UK-educated international student. Now I'm worried that I've completely overestimated my chances of admission (partly because of the international aspect, though I'm applying to private schools for the most part) and I won't get into even one school and I don't have a plan B and I'm tired of not having my own income and having nothing to do and and and.

I don't think I can take two more months of this. I also don't think I could put myself/my recommenders through another round of applications.

So I guess I'm just wondering--what's your plan B?

I'm applying to a teaching program with a very high acceptance rate so I can go abroad next year and make some money if I don't get in. I also plan on working with some old professors to help them edit and translate some articles (which will give me a writing credit to put on my CV and pump up any 2nd round applications). I think for you, if you want to come/stay in the US, an au pair gig for a rich couple from the upper east side could be a good idea. They pay surprisingly well, and if you're educated you could also include tutoring duties and make even more.

Edited by DontHate

So is it very hard to get into a prestigious school when coming from a lower tier school? Because I know people in my program at a big name who come from big public schools (famous ones but definitely not in the same rank as the program they're in now). Anybody know how that works? Did they have to set themselves apart in some way to make the jump?

I think it's difficult, not because the name necessarily carries more weight (though I'm sure that's a factor as well, though I firmly believe in graduate school meritocracy) but because many schools simply don't have the resources or staff to offer as broad of an education as larger schools, and this is reflected on transcripts. Most semesters, there would be one or two classes with a specific focus on American literature, and it wasn't always 20th century. I am proud of the education I recieved, but much of my study was largely self directed, because there aren't very many americanists at my school and most of them don't work in the areas I'm interested in. I think that I have to excel on my personal statement and writing sample and not rely as much on my transcripts, because they don't really tell the whole story.

That's my fear right now. I just hope I can stack up with candidates with stronger resumes than myself. I also think that going to a small school gave me the opportunity to get a lot of face time with really smart people, and I got to go to some conferences.

I'm applying to a teaching program with a very high acceptance rate so I can go abroad next year and make some money if I don't get in. I also plan on working with some old professors to help them edit and translate some articles (which will give me a writing credit to put on my CV and pump up any 2nd round applications). I think for you, if you want to come/stay in the US, an au pair gig for a rich couple from the upper east side could be a good idea. They pay surprisingly well, and if you're educated you could also include tutoring duties and make even more.

What teaching program?

Short answer: Yes.

But really, it depends on which "prestigious school" you're talking about. In the discussions I had with professors about potentially applying to Harvard or Yale (as I've mentioned before) they said that the fit wasn't really very good for several reason (and I totally agree). But I was strongly encouraged to apply to Cornell, Duke, UVA, Michigan and other "prestigious" programs, which are apparently just less "elitist" when it comes to admissions. Talking with one of my profs earlier this week, she finally admitted that Harvard and Yale wouldn't even look at my application, no matter how perfectly qualified and amazing my application might be, because of where my BA is from (a large state school that's not bad, but that few people outside the middle states--MD/DE/PA/NJ/NY--area have heard of). I had always kind of suspected this, but it was actually kind of refreshing to hear it directly. Depressing as hell, but refreshing.

she finally admitted that Harvard and Yale wouldn't even look at my application, no matter how perfectly qualified and amazing my application might be, because of where my BA is from (a large state school that's not bad, but that few people outside the middle states--MD/DE/PA/NJ/NY--area have heard of). I had always kind of suspected this, but it was actually kind of refreshing to hear it directly. Depressing as hell, but refreshing.

Damn, why couldn't she have just told you that earlier? What if you had applied to those schools and basically thrown your money away just because she couldn't get the guts to tell you? I think people waste a lot of time and resources being "polite."

Short answer: Yes.

But really, it depends on which "prestigious school" you're talking about. In the discussions I had with professors about potentially applying to Harvard or Yale (as I've mentioned before) they said that the fit wasn't really very good for several reason (and I totally agree). But I was strongly encouraged to apply to Cornell, Duke, UVA, Michigan and other "prestigious" programs, which are apparently just less "elitist" when it comes to admissions. Talking with one of my profs earlier this week, she finally admitted that Harvard and Yale wouldn't even look at my application, no matter how perfectly qualified and amazing my application might be, because of where my BA is from (a large state school that's not bad, but that few people outside the middle states--MD/DE/PA/NJ/NY--area have heard of). I had always kind of suspected this, but it was actually kind of refreshing to hear it directly. Depressing as hell, but refreshing.

I'm hoping the reputations of my BA (non-HYP Ivy) and MA (Russell Group) institutions will get me past the first round of cuts. I know that's shallow, but I feel like I'm up against some pretty tough odds as an international student so I'll take anything if it'll help me stand out. It's just another way we play the game.

I think there's three tiers of Ivies: 1. HYP (+ MIT & Stanford), 2. Columbia, Brown, UPenn 3. Cornell & Dartmouth

In terms of selectivity I'm pretty sure that's how it stacks. Edit: Maybe switch UPenn & Dartmouth...

Edited by DontHate

Applying to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Brown, Cornell.

Currently carrying 3.89 in my major (Eng. lit) at Columbia. 96%ile on GRE verbal, 74%ile on GRE Lit. in English Subj.

Fingers crossed. Maybe I'll get in. Maybe I won't. At this point numbness is beginning to replace exhaustion.

I think there's three tiers of Ivies: 1. HYP (+ MIT & Stanford), 2. Columbia, Brown, UPenn 3. Cornell & Dartmouth

In terms of selectivity I'm pretty sure that's how it stacks. Edit: Maybe switch UPenn & Dartmouth...

I would put Stanford in no. 2 with Penn and Columbia. I would switch Brown to the lower tier. Dartmouth barely registers on most radars because of its size.

My two cents, coming from a small unknown program certainly might not help you but I wouldn't despair. As I've said before, my undergrad university is completely unknown, though really great. A lot of the students end up going to really prestigious graduate programs though. Not too many English people go on to PhD's, but in the last few years we've had people go to Northwestern, Columbia, Florida, and Berkeley. It can be done!