Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

I got an acceptance letter today by snail mail for a Fulbright research grant to Sweden. It came in a large white envelope, and was sent from Sweden (!), sent by air mail first class. It was postmarked April 9th, and I live in NYC. Hope everyone gets good news soon, I know how awful the waiting period is!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an acceptance letter today by snail mail for a Fulbright research grant to Sweden. It came in a large white envelope, and was sent from Sweden (!), sent by air mail first class. It was postmarked April 9th, and I live in NYC. Hope everyone gets good news soon, I know how awful the waiting period is!

Gah! That means my letter could be in the mail tomorrow or the next day!

After the bad news I got today (rejected article), I don't know if I can take more rejection!

Any news from North Africa/Middle East?

I applied for an ETA in Egypt and recently emailed Jermaine Jones to find out where the process was to date. He told me that, unfortunately, I would end up waiting at least until the end of April if not into May for final notification. I'm not sure if this is the same for the ME/NA overall, but Jermaine's responses are prompt and courteous, so you could email to ask! Good luck and I hope your wait is more reasonable!

Just a point of info:

I was in China last year and met an ETA fulbrighter from Hong Kong. She told me that she had originally applied to South Korea, and been put on the alternate list. Then, in late Spring, she got a phone call saying there was an opening in the HK ETA program, and asking if she'd be willing to go there instead (since it was also an Asian country). She obviously said yes. SO... I'm not sure how common this is, or what the situation was specifically, but that might answer the Nepal question listed above, and/or give some alternates a little hope. Of course, I'm sure this probably wouldn't happen for Research Grant applicants (because of the country-specific nature of proposals) and for countries with a strict language requirement (besides the probably larger applicant pool this year), but who knows...

that can't explain the Nepal discrepancy because last year Nepal only awarded research grants. but its interesting that there wouldn't have been any HK ETA alternates to fill those spots. i guess that means there were so many openings that all the alternates got offers and they had to look elsewhere to fill them all! man i hope that happens for the Nepal research grant, haha. ...definitely *not* counting on it.

PLEASE CALL Rachel Holskin at 212-984-5326. Ask her when will decision letters for Albania be mailed out? Then ask her specifically if they will be mailed out this wednesday?

Thank you so much. I hate to keep calling her, she knows my voice and name by heart, I swear!

Hey mkurti, I just called Rachel Holskin's office. Some lady picked up (assuming a secretary?) and I asked for Rachel and she that Rachel was on the other line. I've had more luck talking to secretaries than with the actual program managers so I decided to ask her for info about Albania. She told me that she would be glad to look up that information and asked me for my last name (?!!!). I totally froze...I didn't know what to say...and very awkwardly told her that I didn't want to share that information but just wanted general information about Albania's letters. She said that if I wanted specific information I should talk to Rachel Holskin and that Rachel wouldn't give out that information unless she "had the applicant's name directly". By that time, Rachel had gotten off the phone and I was transferred to her. Rachel was very sweet and said that the letters for Albania will NOT be mailed out this week but will most likely be mailed out next week. I asked when it would be mailed out next week and she said that it would Wednesdays because, as we all know, they only mail out letters on Wednesdays. I asked her if they would for sure be mailed out next week and she said that it's never for sure. I then asked her if she would give me a percentage estimate to which she started laughing and reluctantly said 80% chance that they will be mailed out next week. She said that the letters to Albania have been ready for a really, really long time but they're just waiting for "go ahead" from the State Dept to mail them out. She even used the phrase "poor Albania".

I did think it was weird that the secretary asked for a name.....hmm...

Hey mkurti, I just called Rachel Holskin's office. Some lady picked up (assuming a secretary?) and I asked for Rachel and she that Rachel was on the other line. I've had more luck talking to secretaries than with the actual program managers so I decided to ask her for info about Albania. She told me that she would be glad to look up that information and asked me for my last name (?!!!). I totally froze...I didn't know what to say...and very awkwardly told her that I didn't want to share that information but just wanted general information about Albania's letters. She said that if I wanted specific information I should talk to Rachel Holskin and that Rachel wouldn't give out that information unless she "had the applicant's name directly". By that time, Rachel had gotten off the phone and I was transferred to her. Rachel was very sweet and said that the letters for Albania will NOT be mailed out this week but will most likely be mailed out next week. I asked when it would be mailed out next week and she said that it would Wednesdays because, as we all know, they only mail out letters on Wednesdays. I asked her if they would for sure be mailed out next week and she said that it's never for sure. I then asked her if she would give me a percentage estimate to which she started laughing and reluctantly said 80% chance that they will be mailed out next week. She said that the letters to Albania have been ready for a really, really long time but they're just waiting for "go ahead" from the State Dept to mail them out. She even used the phrase "poor Albania".

Hi Mkurt..now that you have your info about Albania - could you please call Charles and ask him if Bangladesh and India will be sent out today? Or if not when....thanks!

Charles Tel: (212) 984-5519 Thanks :)

that can't explain the Nepal discrepancy because last year Nepal only awarded research grants. but its interesting that there wouldn't have been any HK ETA alternates to fill those spots. i guess that means there were so many openings that all the alternates got offers and they had to look elsewhere to fill them all! man i hope that happens for the Nepal research grant, haha. ...definitely *not* counting on it.

The Fulbright selection process seems more and more strange to me... Given that there were 16 HK ETA spots last year and this year, I don't know if I would assume that there are "so many openings" that they had to look elsewhere-- plus, there are usually many more ETA spots (90+) in South Korea. I do think it's strange that they would ask someone if they wanted to switch over because it's another Asian country-- they are completely different places.

Summernights,

Thank you so much for calling them and asking about Albania. It helps me out a lot because there is no need to check the mail every day. The state department has not given the green light for like a month!!!!!!!!!!! However, I will have to wait until next wednesday.

Thank you so much again, I owe you!

Hi Mkurt..now that you have your info about Albania - could you please call Charles and ask him if Bangladesh and India will be sent out today? Or if not when....thanks!

Charles Tel: (212) 984-5519 Thanks :)

I called Charles! He has such a low voice that I kept saying "what?" He sounds like he is giving you Russian secrets.

Anyways, Bangladesh letters were mailed out last week. India letters will be mailed out in two weeks. I think the India estimate is bullshit, because thats what they always say. Next time I am going to ask to get it in writing!

Good luck

I called Charles! He has such a low voice that I kept saying "what?" He sounds like he is giving you Russian secrets.

Anyways, Bangladesh letters were mailed out last week. India letters will be mailed out in two weeks. I think the India estimate is bullshit, because thats what they always say. Next time I am going to ask to get it in writing!

Good luck

Thank you!!! Im suprised i havent got anything yet - :) Should be any day now.

Good luck

I have a bad feeling that the India grants are going to be out for some time. I've heard stories about decisions not coming down till May or June, hopefully that isn't the case this year...

All you Netherlands people...I just burdened Rachel with another call, letters will be mailed this afternoon or tomorrow AM!

Holy living crap. Tranquilizers, anyone?

So we're looking at a Saturday/Monday arrival date for people on the East Coast. My heart is going to explode.

Thanks so much for getting this information.

All you Netherlands people...I just burdened Rachel with another call, letters will be mailed this afternoon or tomorrow AM!

I am normally a very positive person but it is TAX DAY! The USPS will be crazy and it will take even longer to get our news on the Netherlands. Our school has valedictorian candidates handing in essays on Friday. The theme is "What will I do with my education after commencement"! This decision has left me in an awkward position!

I called Rachel and she will not tell me. This wait is killing me!

The Fulbright selection process seems more and more strange to me... Given that there were 16 HK ETA spots last year and this year, I don't know if I would assume that there are "so many openings" that they had to look elsewhere-- plus, there are usually many more ETA spots (90+) in South Korea. I do think it's strange that they would ask someone if they wanted to switch over because it's another Asian country-- they are completely different places.

Weren't there 20 HK ETA positions last year? I ran across a newsletter that introduced 20 ETAs in HK. Is the number down to 16 this year? (There was some discrepancy between the Fulbright catalog and the website numbers.) Also, I agree with you. It has become quite peculiar being that ETA alternate candidates can shift to other countries...I'm not sure how I'd feel about that if it happened to me. What a decision it would be!

Just got a big white envelope sent from Sweden with my acceptance letter! Also postmarked April 9th, and I'm in the midwest. I assume we'll also be getting letters from NY, seeing as there was no medical clearance form in this packet.

Can't wait to meet the other Sweden-Fulbrighter(s) on the board!

*does a little dance of joy*

You know, I'm sure Rachel and the other Program Managers peruse this website from time to time. I know if I were them I would. They're probably all expecting a bunch of phone calls. The good news is that Rachel, I believe, had a Fulbright to Morocco, so she can empathize. But man, I feel like we all know that we will most likely get a letter Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and possibly Wednesday. For as much as we've all been heckling them, I give them all lots of credit for still being friendly with us! Haha. Anyway, keep up the good work guys. The Fulbright community is already working for each other!

Weren't there 20 HK ETA positions last year? I ran across a newsletter that introduced 20 ETAs in HK. Is the number down to 16 this year? (There was some discrepancy between the Fulbright catalog and the website numbers.) Also, I agree with you. It has become quite peculiar being that ETA alternate candidates can shift to other countries...I'm not sure how I'd feel about that if it happened to me. What a decision it would be!

Yea, I think four ETA's go to open university (hence why you see the website for both HKIED and Open University on the Fulbright site for Hong Kong). I was confused at first too.

Also, I called (even though I feel extremely guilty for calling for the 2nd time this whole time), but anyways, I called for Hong Kong and she said that notifications will be sent out today or tomorrow.

Not that they're linked necessarily, but that gives me hope that perhaps China notification will be sent out today or tomorrow as well...

Also, I called (even though I feel extremely guilty for calling for the 2nd time this whole time), but anyways, I called for Hong Kong and she said that notifications will be sent out today or tomorrow.

This makes me even more nervous! To know that decisions have already been made and just a matter of time until it reaches us. Ugh, this weekend will be one of the longest...

Thanks for calling and posting jadoreviie, I hope we both receive good news soon :)