not a sausage

otakupaul

I applied to five grad programs in Philosophy this year; Boston College, Syracuse, Fordham, Villanova and Columbia, and so far I haven't heard a thing (or not a sausage as we say in England). Is this normal? A lot of other people seem to have had at least one rejection or news from the programs they have applied to. Is it just that the ones I've picked make decisions later in the year?

Anyone else in the same boat and not heard anything?

Good luck to those still waiting, I hope you get into the programs you want. Who will be next to get in?

(also, is it me or is the results section not very trustworthy? seems like a lot of random results turn up on their own that don't fit with the overall application process)

I love the not a sausage thing! As for the time it takes, these programs like to taunt us by dragging things out as long as they can. Also given that the members of the committees all have busy schedules, meetings can only really be scheduled when they all have the same period of free time. Sucks I know.

As for the results page, outside of the Doom University and other entries, I would say they are a nice indicator of results. Nothing is perfect of course, so you take them as they are.

Well, I have received an outright rejection (I think I was in the "no way" pile) and an eager acceptance in one week.

Other than that, I have not heard a peep from anyone. And the boards are not encouraging because people are saying that some of the programs that I applied to have already accepted them. I am still waiting to hear even a rejection.

Maybe this means we are firmly in the middle pile of "Maybes" and when the golden children decline acceptance to those programs, we will be called.

However, I think that the committees are still making decisions and that there will be more results in the next two weeks.

Generally, I take the results on the boards with a grain of salt because I think sometimes people post things to psyche other people out.

But that's just my paranoia talking.

I think it's not abnormal - I've heard from one of seven schools so far, and that one was early (i.e. I know they have not finished sending out acceptances). Nor is it a sausage, I guess :) March will be the month!

The results search doesn't seem like a good sample for everyone, as only two of the seven schools I applied to have ever shown up on it. It's interesting to look at, but pretty easy to tell whether it's going to be useful for you or not.

I think it depends largely on your field and your programs. In anthropology, many of our replies are just now starting to trickle in, and sometimes not even yet. I wouldn't worry - it really, really still is early.

Also I love that I learned a new awesome term that involves cured meats.

8 programs...0 responses. Regardless of how frustrating it is to hear, I think what you have to remember (and others have voiced this sentiment) is that it really is still early. Yes, there have been some auto admits/rejects, but as for the rest of us, I think the first week of March will be when things begin to really heat up.

I know how you feel. I applied to nine programs in philosophy and haven't heard anything. On the bright side, there are results from other applicants for only three of the nine so far (and as you said, they may be fabricated; NYU has results, for instance, but then there's a note ostensibly from that dept. proclaiming those previous results phony (but then again why would someone from NYU take the time to disavow results from this site that are in no way affiliated with the university and couldn't possibly be construed as official?)). Still, this is getting ridiculous--anyone hear from Rutgers philosophy? Their deadline was the beginning of December.

I applied to five grad programs in Philosophy this year; Boston College, Syracuse, Fordham, Villanova and Columbia, and so far I haven't heard a thing (or not a sausage as we say in England). Is this normal? A lot of other people seem to have had at least one rejection or news from the programs they have applied to. Is it just that the ones I've picked make decisions later in the year?

I applied to BC philosophy as well, and if the results section is correct, they've already offered some if not all of their top applicants. I was visiting the program the day they distributed the applications to faculty members, and there were 255 apps!

Because of my personal situation, I needed to hear back from programs early, so I emailed most and got-- you guessed it-- rejected virtually across the board. So there are situations worse than not a sausage!