How to address profs?

hip2btriangle

I notice lots of them sign with the first name as well, but I am not going to use their first name until I meet them in person. After a visit and if they continue to sign with the first name, then I will do the same.

I would just not feel comfortable until I meet them and "feel them out."

I always address professors by their first name, something about "Dr. Surname" just feels like high school to me... but then again I probably do have a bit of that sense of entitlement undergrads feel that was recently discussed in another part of this forum. So if you do go with first names, you're definitely not alone - the only circumstance in which I would address someone as Dr. or Professor would be if they addressed an email to me with Mr.

I'm hyper-sensitive about the title thing, too -- but only because I know some professors, regardless of signature, are hyper-sensitive about it themselves. I'm a fan of addressing them as Prof. Surname (especially in person) until I am corrected to do otherwise. I've had one situation where a professor insisted I call her by her first name; but I also had a professor who signed her e-mail "Prof. Surname" after I addressed her by her first name. I took that as a hint. It's better to be over-respectful than not respectful enough, especially when you're trying to woo potential advisors at an Open House. :)

I've also hyper-analyzed this. I always address someone completely unknown by their title + last name. If they reply and sign with their first name only, I will start addressing them by their first name. My reasoning is that I will only go as far as they are comfortable without being overly formal; at the same time (and this has not happened so far), should a professor get upset by my (otherwise invited) lack of formality, I would have serious doubts as to whether I could work with this person anyway. I guess I risk being "put in my place" by someone eventually, but this has not happened so far.

I always go with Professor X by default.

Seems like a lot of Sociology professors don't make much of their titles though. Some do, but I feel like most of mine wanted or at least allowed students to address them by their first name. The people who become sociologists seem to often be the "question authority"/"hierarchy sucks" type, so I think that might be why.

"Professor" is the most formal; "Dr." second most". I usually go with the former. The tacit rule is NEVER address a professor by their first name, except if they tell you it's ok. I've had uncomfortable experiences when I didn't follow this "rule".

So you became self-disciplined when you did not acquiesce to the established norm. 8)

I always address someone completely unknown by their title + last name. If they reply and sign with their first name only, I will start addressing them by their first name.

I do this too. I've yet to run into any uncomfortable situations with this "rule of thumb", but there's always a first time I guess...

There's another forum on this in Waiting it out, I think.

I always figured that Dr. was the most formal and so when I don't know the professor, I just put "Dear Dr. X". In UG, after that initial email or if I had already spoke with them, I always put "Hi First Name." I've never had a problem w/this and honestly, if a prof. questioned this, I would not be too thrilled to work with them.

Also, looking forward, I'd feel so uncomfortable w/people calling me "doctor." I guess I feel like that is reserved for MD's or distinguished professors (and that's why I'll email potential grad advisers using "Dr." I'd feel comfortable w/my first name but Professor is also a nice gesture/sign of respect.

I think this is an interesting post, in that I wonder how the next generation of college students will handle formalities.

It also just occurred to me that this might be a funny thread for people who aren't studying in the U.S.

I was abroad in London for a year during undergrad and addressed teachers as Prof. X. A history professor of mine, new to the department, laughed and corrected me. She said that it's only Americans who address every college teacher as professor -- in England, the term is only used for distinguished teachers. Over there apparently you just use Dr.