Scores submitted before application go where?

lsgchas

This is just a question I'm curious about. When you take the GRE or another standardized test, you can elect to have your scores sent directly to a graduate school. Often this will be many months before you actually submit an application. Does the admission department start a file on you and save your score for later? It seems like it would be hard to keep track of the scores of scores coming in, especially when some of those students may ultimately decide not to apply.

Yes, they "save" the scores. I'm not sure how each individual school matches up scores and applicants, but I took the GRE in June, and my application didn't open until September, and it was no problem.

I am pretty sure they do not start a file for every score that comes in.

Based on some of the words that describe this process on the ETS page (i.e. schools can either receive a CD, mailed twice a month, or access the scores through a database), and a conversation I had with an admin secretary when my GRE score was going to come AFTER the due date, I think that your scores just simply sit on a database, either at ETS or at the schools that you "sent" the scores to, or on the CDs. They don't do anything with the scores unless you send them an application with a testing reference number. They then use that reference number to look up your score in the database and enter the values onto your application. Last year, one school's due date was Dec 1 but my scores wouldn't be ready until Dec 21. The secretary said that it wasn't a problem since they can just look up my score on the University database when they are ready.

With the exception of schools that still get physical CDs, I am not even sure that scores are physically sent to the schools. It's easy enough for ETS to store all scores on their database and when you order a score report, it "unlocks" your database entry so that the school official can access your score. Alternatively, each school could have their own databases that downloads all entries that are tagged with their school ID from the main ETS database every (day/week/month/whatever). If it doesn't work this way, I think it should -- but it's clear that it doesn't cost anyone ~$20 to actually send a few numbers electronically! It's also definitely true that it doesn't matter when you send your scores, as long as the scores themselves are ready!

So you have to order a transcript even though the testing company has already sent them the scores? I didn't get a reference number with my MAT score, nor is there a place on my application to enter one. I don't want to shell out $20, so I hope the school retains access to my score.

I don't know what the MAT test is or how it works. If you already sent them your scores (for free or paid the testing company) then you should be fine, unless the school or testing company says otherwise? I'm not sure what you mean by "ordering a transcript" -- usually the scores are sent electronically? For the GRE, you get scores sent to your undergrad school plus 4 other schools of your choosing for free if you decide on the schools before / while writing the test. After that, it's about ~$20 per school.

Also, once the official application opened, it did take some time for the online application to reflect that my GRE report had been received, so don't worry if it does not show up right away. However, if you think it's taking too long, you can call the graduate office and ask about it. It was good I called when my transcripts weren't showing up -- they had been filed under my maiden name. So, clerical errors can happen, and calling doesn't hurt.

Yes, they "save" the scores. I'm not sure how each individual school matches up scores and applicants, but I took the GRE in June, and my application didn't open until September, and it was no problem.

Ah, so is it the case that you can start your application well before you plan to have everything submitted? I was thinking previously that I'd do each of mine about one month before its deadline date, but realistically I'd like to start a few applications even earlier (just to decrease the amount of work in a short period of time, stagger the fees and transcript costs, and actually have two or three of them almost complete by end of September (and just be waiting on letters of rec to be submitted.) How early do most schools open up their applications?

Edited by claire56

Mine opened in September and things got submitted as they were ready. So the easy biographical stuff was done early. My SOP took forever. And some LORs were late. Transcripts, though ordered all at once, came in at all different times.

Depends on the school and program.

I have had several schools very clearly state that they don't keep GRE scores that come in before they have a file on you (and in fact, I had to pay to resend them to one such school).

Other schools will start a file when they receive the scores.

It's worth noting that you don't have to have a finished application, just have started one for the system to register you most places.

As to app dates opening- all my schools but one had them open in the summer, and the "late" school opened applications in September. I think I had all of my apps submitted by early October.

Edited by Eigen

Wait, so if I take the GRE general in July (which I am -- scheduled to take July 28th) and I choose four schools to send scores to, some of those schools might just get rid of them because there's no application open for me yet? That's crazy. I can't have that! (I don't think that's what you're saying, though. Need clarification) I would think it'd just sit in a database in the school first....(and then not go to the department until I submit an application for the department). I dunno...

Depends on the system of the school.

Some schools start an application when you submit the first thing, be it GRE scores or something else. So if they get GRE scores and having nothing else for you, they start a file with those scores.

Other schools just look to match GRE scores with applications.

If you're worried about it, it's worth checking with the schools you're looking to apply to, to double check.

Edited by Eigen

I'm glad the programs I applied to kept scores -- applying is an expensive enough process as it is. It seems really insenstive NOT to hold on to score reports and to make students pay to get them sent again.