Chem GRE's and Applying Early???

Hemiacetal

Hey all,

I had a question about applying early to grad schools and taking the Chem Subject GRE. I am unable to take the Chem GRE in October so I have to take it in November. Unfortunately, according to the ETS site, if I take the test in November, I will get the score on Dec. 10. If I was to take it in October, then I would be able to know my score by Nov. 12.

Now, I have heard that for some programs, it is advantageous to apply ASAP, so that is why I am concerned if I don't know my Chem GRE score by Dec. 10, and several programs for which I want to apply have their deadlines around the 15th of Dec.

Do applications require you to enter the Chem GRE score in order to submit it, or is there some option that basically states "I have taken the Chem GRE but I do not yet have the score"? If that option is available, I would be in better shape, since I can submit my application early, and then when I take the Chem GRE in November, I can eventually get the score to them.

If, however, it is required to have the Chem GRE score at the time of applying, then I am sort of screwed in the sense that I have to wait until my Chem GRE score gets back (Dec. 10) to apply to many programs whose deadlines are around the 15th of Dec.

Do you guys understand my slight dilemma? I guess it isn't much to lose sleep about, but I am just worried about decreasing my chances of getting in from the fact that I cannot take the Chem GRE in October.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

with regards to applying early if you have all your materials ready to be sent i'd go ahead i'd ask members of your UG faculty their opinion as well though.

chem gre, if your a good test taker than seriously think about taking it if not and its optional then it might hurt more than help, honestly i sorta regrett taking it was not confortable with my result and think it might have hurt me with some of the schools i applied to , again ask your UG professors they know more about your abilities than any of us on a forum would

• 1 month later...

I actually just came across similar dilemma yesterday. I noticed a lot of schools with the "recommended, but not required Chem GRE" option have due dates of December 15th, yet ETS does not guarantee scores of the Nov 10th exam to be sent until December 21 (6 weeks).... Online, you personally can see them by December 10th.

Did you figure out any more details regarding how strict schools are with receiving the ChemGRE scores?

Also, the reason I signed up for the ChemGRE last minute this fall: I had taken it two years ago, but at the time I really really wanted to work for few years instead, but couldn't find a job; essentially I felt forced to start looking into grad school. However, shortly after taking the General GRE, I got a great job offer, so I did not study much for the ChemGRE besides reviewing the Princeton book. My scores weren't bad, but I was told by a lot of friends to not send scores unless they are at least high 80th percentile or better 90th percentile (which they weren't).... So essentially I felt I could try to improve my score this fall by studying some of the old topics more. But now I'm realizing I might not get the scores in time anyway....

I actually just came across similar dilemma yesterday. I noticed a lot of schools with the "recommended, but not required Chem GRE" option have due dates of December 15th, yet ETS does not guarantee scores of the Nov 10th exam to be sent until December 21 (6 weeks).... Online, you personally can see them by December 10th.

Did you figure out any more details regarding how strict schools are with receiving the ChemGRE scores?

I did not take the subject GRE and I applied to several programs that "recommend" or "strongly recommend" the chem GRE; I got into all of them. I really don't think the subject test counts for much unless you have a superb or truly terrible score or the program requires it.