Citing same sources as another student- is this plagiarism?

AlwaysAQuestion

Like the other posters, I'd except many of the same sources as an earlier paper on the same topic, and 36% similar sources seems normal to me.

And I guess Hank might be right about using all the same exact sources not amounting to plagiarism per say- I have no idea whether it would or not. . . . That being said, I can't see 100% of the same sources (i.e. no additional ones) being ok for a professor, for several reasons . . . especially if that other paper was published more than a year ago :rolleyes:

And I guess Hank might be right about using all the same exact sources not amounting to plagiarism per say- I have no idea whether it would or not. . . . That being said, I can't see 100% of the same sources (i.e. no additional ones) being ok for a professor, for several reasons . . . especially if that other paper was published more than a year ago :rolleyes:

Ah yes! I was thinking more about two papers from students in the same class, especially if it's an author course.

If I was grading some papers on a "general" topic for e.g. a first year intro course (where I wouldn't expect students to write on such similar topics that they would have exactly the same sources), and I came across two papers that had identical bibliographies, it would raise a flag of potential plagiarism, but 100% identical sources in itself isn't plagiarism. I would then (re)read the actual paper and decide.

On the other hand, if I was grading a lab report (I know this isn't the OP's case but giving another perspective), then I would almost expect the sources (for standard values of certain quantities) to be exactly the same.